Cool Idea: Make Csv Delimited Files Available.

B3Fiend

I was thinking it would be very handy and productive to be able to download a delimited ascii flat-file of search results, that include *all* available cache data. (i.e. comma or tab separated).

In the ascii file, include fields with all available parameters of a cache, such as cache type, container size, zip codes, etc etc.

This could then be used a million different ways - ways that could provide fodder for scores of new desktop tools for cachers. Desktop databases & utility programs could be written to import the data, and do all kinds of fun stuff with it.

I was thinking that if such data was available, I would be able to pull it into a database to create my *own* customized searches along routes, etc. Reports could be created to print out handy lists of caches for a day's hunting, etc.

Just a thought. It would be great, though!

-B3Fiend

Edited by B3Fiend
You can already set up searches to send you .loc files, which are XML.  That's better than csv, IMHO.

yes, but they don't include all the cache info used to describe a cache in the gc.com database.

For example, if fields such as cache size (traditional, micro, ), cache type (regular, virtual), etc were included, desktop utilities could create further customized queries.

This actually came to mind after burning myself a couple times not realizing that a downloaded waypoint was a virtual cache.

Edited by B3Fiend
Usually people Markwell this post, but Pocket Queries have all the information you are asking for. It's a premium feature. There is a page listing supporting software and the Premium Member page.

Thanks. I didn't notice that the gpx files were in XML. (never really looked at them in a text editor)

Though a .csv would import instantly into access/excel or be parsed with perl/awk easily, this will be a good exercise in learning this new-fangled XML stuff. :)

-B3Fiend

Edited by B3Fiend
yes, but they don't include all the cache info used to describe a cache in the gc.com database.

On the Pocket Query page if you specify GPX instead of LOC you'll get a ton more information also in XML format. Office XP for example is able to read XML so you'll be able to do filtering in that, or distance calculations on waypoints based on your home coordinates, etc. GPX files can be rather large as well because they include the last 5 logs for the cache.

One word for you: UTOPIA

With this program you can merge .gpx files, and build fully customizable .csv files. I convert my .gpx files to .csv for use in MS Streets & Trips. My .csv conversions include waypoint id, cache type, cache name, and placed by all exported to "Name" and the cache page hyperlink exported as "Hyperlink" so one quick click on the map will open the cache page.

90186_4900.jpg

Edited by ShaneN4Girls

I've been using GPSbabel for a couple of months now to convert .GPX files to .CSV for use with Streets and Trips. Works great, and you can even import those neat little treasure chest icons to make your maps look cool. If you're not premium member, you can still use babel to convert the .LOC files to .CSV, but you won't get much more than the most basic information about the cache.

Incidentally, is the pocket query feature indeed still in beta?

You can also use Excel to import XML and convert to xls sheet. this gives you a chance to change the column headings so that the data is better recognised by S&T (or autoroute in europe) . once done, use the data import feature of S&T and it will import all the data in as a set of pushpins. then you can change the icon, (I have one for found caches and another for unfound) you can also change the data fields displayed in the baloon. I import the cache waypoint name and URL as 'Other Data' and enable them in the baloon, that way I can instantly link to the cache page from S&T. Unfortunately, although the dataset is linked to the original data file, MS have not yet put in the feature to update the pushpins when the data file is updated, to do this, you currently have to delete the pushpin set and re-import. Having said that, I guess they have to justify the extra cost of Map Point somehow.

Unfortunately, although the dataset is linked to the original data file, MS have not yet put in the feature to update the pushpins when the data file is updated, to do this, you currently have to delete the pushpin set and re-import. Having said that, I guess they have to justify the extra cost of Map Point somehow.

I have mappoint and am pretty sure it does not update automatically either. I don't think they are linked actually as I have imported data and deleted the data file dozens of times. You can also email the maps without the data file.

Unless there is a way of importing them linked that I don't know about. MapPoint's not much different from S&T from what I know. Just a little more data processing and display functionality plus the big thing I think is access to an API that allows you to build modules for MapPoint.