Are Moderators Micro-managing The Posts?

Alan2

To (kind of) get back on topic. Where is the harm in getting off topic? I've noticed that it is mostly when people get off topic that things lighten up and there can't be anything wrong with that.

I think the harm with getting off topic is that it makes it harder to find information if you haven't been around for a long time (like me). The sport is growing exponentially and with new people coming in all the time, they all encounter roughly the same issues that don't neatly fit in a FAQ. So you do a search on "Water caches in MS" and find a thread with that title, but it's mostly a chit chat between two or three cachers about swamp boats...(I made that up). Even in the 2 months I've been posting here I've seen the same questions asked over and over. The idea of staying on topic helps newcomers find answers easier.

Having said that I've never been part of a forum where that actually worked :(

P.S. Les--I respect you for sticking around and being open-minded. I still don't agree with alot of your posts, but I respect your opinion. It's a pleasure to see someone with an opposing view who defends it in a reasonable civil way. Welcome.

Edited by GeoWorms

Anyone feel like me? :(

There, now I feel better. :D

Alan

Hmmmm, where has Snoogans been?

Yea, I'm not around much, but not for the exact reasons that you state. I'm not mad either. I think "some" of the mods do a great job. (Question: Do they get little caution thingys when they treat someone like crap?) Many people here (admins and users) could use a good class in interpersonal communication.

Wow, this thread has got wildly off topic here but I've had a few laughs because of it.

To (kind of) get back on topic. Where is the harm in getting off topic? I've noticed that it is mostly when people get off topic that things lighten up and there can't be anything wrong with that.

Thanks,

Les

(And I am pretty sure that horse is about to devour that innocent little butterfly - the thing is vicious for sure.)

to repeat myself since you asked this same question on page one I will repost the answer:

the following is a direct quote from the forum guidelines.

Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that are off topic may be closed by the moderator.

Thats why the moderators care. they are following the guidelines.

Do you intentionally post in a way that invites an angry response or is it just a accidental? I know it's difficult to get the nuances of communication when reading a quickly written post but it sure seems that you are deliberately trying to provoke.

In anycase, my point was that the rules about off topic posts are not enforced in any sort of uniform way. You can keep quoting the rules but they are not really rules if they are not followed consistently. I just wanted to point out what a friendlier place this was when some off topic posts were permitted.

Geoworms/J&M/Jomarac, thanks for the kind words. I know my stance on public land geocaches was going to be unpopular. The vast majority of people here have shown great grace in at least considering my arguements.

Les.

Since I am already on everyones bad side, I will say that they are doing a good job, and try to keep my head out of the chopping block this time.  :(

I thought you said you were giving up geocaching? When did you come back? Now you are back. You are starting to sound a lot like a local cacher. ;-)

Please stop refering to me in general, or specifically. I might get banned if I reply. :D

Just a little good old philosophy for everyone to reflect upon here:

"The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error."

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."

John Stuart Mill "On Liberty"

Hi mom.  Hi dad.  I'm back.  I start a topic, leave for work, come back, and we're into the 3rd page!  And it's not locked down.  Amazing.  Guess the boys have been behaving.  Good for you all.

Alan

HI Alan, where's Dave?

(lets see how old you are with that reference)

Boy, you got me! Does this mean I have to go to bed early or can I still stay up and be controversially off topic?

Alan

Do you intentionally post in a way that invites an angry response or is it just a accidental? I know it's difficult to get the nuances of communication when reading a quickly written post but it sure seems that you are deliberately trying to provoke.

Is that like the pot calling the kettle black????? ( if you don't get it google for it). Trust me when I say you know not where of you speak.

In any case, my point was that the rules about off topic posts are not enforced in any sort of uniform way. You can keep quoting the rules but they are not really rules if they are not followed consistently. I just wanted to point out what a friendlier place this was when some off topic posts were permitted.

By the way, I never say rules, I say guidelines at least quote me correctly.

what I also said I will say again, again.

"OK, maybe I am not explaining it correctly. the harm of going off topic is that its not allowed. So instead of some people complaining about the mods doing their job and keeping things on topic they should start a thread about changing the guidelines. then the mods would not have to keep things on topic if it changed."

Personally, I do identify why a person is being warned and how it relates to the forum conduct guidelines.  Twenty or so recipients of those warnings can attest to this.  But I will not discuss specific examples here because I believe it inappropriate to do so.  Gorak, if you had a different individual experience, fine.... complain about it.... but please don't extrapolate to absolute statements.

Not all admins are as courteous, respectful and even-handed as yourself. I can only relate my own personal experience which did not involve yourself. It appears that others have the same experience as I, so I don't think my observations are unique.

I think "some" of the mods do a great job. (Question: Do they get little caution thingys when they treat someone like crap?) Many people here (admins and users) could use a good class in interpersonal communication.

Enough already! Henceforth I shall refrain from posting under my CO Admin moderator sock puppet account and I will perform my moderating duties only as Keystone Approver. I am sorry but I just had to come clean on this.

Mufasa1023 wrote:

"The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error."

This is pretty good.

BTW: "Dave's not here, man" (Cheech and Chong circa 1978 87227_9500.gif )

Edited by Jomarac5

For all who persist, this is a moot point. The moderators have been strategically placed (even though I believe criminal and RK should have some clout as well :( ), and the mods will continue to act and perform as they have been advised.

Whatever complaint or disagreement you have will have no effect on how this board is controlled as of yet, and we all have to deal with it.

Remember in school, when you disobeyed the rules , you receive your punishment regardless, since the authority is always right whether they were or not. Anarchy never prevails, it just makes the situation worse.

We are just schoolchildren, and the teachers behold the holy paddle (brick).

Of all the bs, I've spread my share, and I now see it is no use.

Easssy big fellas.

Opey One wrote:

Of all the bs, I've spread my share, and I now see it is no use.

Sometimes you just can't argue the point.

You are right, J5. Finally we agree on something. I'm just not going to push the envelope as hard, though.

If you finally prevail, I will say "Hey I was with J5 all along." :(

How many times can we discuss how much an ammo box looks like a bomb, or how wrong it is to trade down, or complain about someone destroying a cache...ad infinitum?

Going "off topic" at least breaks the monogamy (word swap intentional).

These forums are for the most part a ridiculous waste of time.

Why not waste time in a fun way, unburdened by a lot of silly rules?

quote from "on topic geocaching overtones" (which lasted 2 posts)

Cute, but no.

--------------------

Lackey to the QOFE

The Frog is my friend

Je voudrais un poney

Well, I have to wonder.

Actually, for some reason I got a kick out of that. I started it as a joke and really didn't expect it to last long.

Please stop refering to me in general, or specifically. I might get banned if I reply.  :(

But you just did reply. Does that mean you'll be banned? How many warnings does it take to get banned? You haven't been banned yet. J5 and I know what it's like. ;-) Are you going to dare it?

And, coming back to topic... Who says I'm referring to you specifically, or in general as you put it. Maybe I was referring to someone on Vancouver Island. (Remember the topic in the Canada Forums about someone on VI giving up?) You seem a bit paranoid, or something. Lighten up. Not everything/everyone is against you. I see your caches are still all Member Only caches.

Speaking to you reminds me of something else, or your buddy. My complaint, with proof, to GC.com (Bryan and Hydee) has yielded no response from them to me. What a pity. :-( I guess we'll have to all live in denial of the truth. [sound of X-Files music playing in the background]

Edited by CO Admin

From CO_Admin:

You have received a warning because you have violated the forum guidelines. Your comment "Still paranoid about the pirates eh? ;-)" is an attack on the other person. Please read the forum guidelines for more information on how to avoid being warned.

Wow, I can't believe this? This guy is way off base. He obviously does not know the relationship between me and Canadazuuk and failed to see the little smiley winking face to the right of the message he quoted. This is ridiculous!!!!!

Wow.

This is a good example of an admin stretching their authority a bit too far. What's up with this CO? Someone is going to start calling you "CO Enforcer" if you can't lighten up even a little.

I don't see how you could possibly interpret that as an attack. The comment about paranoia is certainly not attack worthy. RobertM merely mentioned that Zuuky appeared to be paranoid based on his incorrect assumption to RobertM's post. RobertM even explained in his post that the reference was not to Zuuky. Seemed pretty innoculous to me.

Lighten up man -- you're way over the line here and it appears that you're a bit trigger happy with the warning button. You've got a little bit of authority CO Admin but you're not God. Chill out baby.

Edited by Jomarac5

Wow, I have seen less editing of comments comming out of the USSR during the cold war, then here on these boards.

Don't forget WE paid for that new server with donations and bumper sticker money. Seems odd you are telling us how to use it. Kinda sounds like the comments we are making about the fish and wildlife folks who throw power around just because they can and not because they need to.

Edited by Chris&Cindy
CO Admin wrote:

Missing posts were moved to the Lift carpet thread.

WHY have they been moved? They are more relevant here where the meaning is not lost. This is too much. You're just moving those posts so that they will be taken out of context.

Leave the darned warn button (and all other buttons) alone for crying out loud. Enough is enough.

What a crock.

Oh heavens! This is WAY TOO MUCH! This is a circus! I can't believe how these forums are run.

To stay on topic I'll answer the question of this thread in the subject line:

First question: Yes, but not all.

Second question: Yes, Mommy, Daddy, and CO_Admin.

Edited by RobertM
CO Admin wrote:

Missing posts were moved to the Lift carpet thread.

WHY have they been moved? They are more relevant here where the meaning is not lost. This is too much. You're just moving those posts so that they will be taken out of context.

Leave the darned warn button (and all other buttons) alone for crying out loud. Enough is enough.

What a crock.

I agree!

CO Admin wrote:

ok that was a total bust. I put them back at the request of RobertM

They never should have been moved in the first place.

If I may offer a suggestion, perhaps you should allow things to play out a little bit before pressing any buttons.

Edited by Jomarac5

Just to set the record straight, because it may be a bit difficult to follow what's going on here; CO Admin moved three posts (by RobertM, myself, and Chis&Cindy) to a new thread but as a result, RobertM's post didn't make sense without being referenced to his Nov 26 2003, 09:13 PM post above.

If you follow that these posts disappeared from this thread for a while, before CO Admin put them back, this should all make sense.

This incident is really a good example of what this thread is all about.

Please stop refering to me in general, or specifically. I might get banned if I reply.  :(

And, coming back to topic... Who says I'm referring to you specifically, or in general as you put it. Maybe I was referring to someone on Vancouver Island. (Remember the topic in the Canada Forums about someone on VI giving up?) You seem a bit paranoid, or something. Lighten up. Not everything/everyone is against you. I see your caches are still all Member Only caches.

There are a couple people on the local scene who have continually referred to 'taking meds' and 'paranoia' when refering to myself by name or by inference.

They have refered to it with such regularity and carelessness, that it has resulted in some people even wondering if it was true. I have heard a rumour that a thread was started asking if I was schizophrenic. (The thread was apparently closed quickly.)

Don't refer to me, directly or indirectly, without good reason. We've been down that road before, and it wasn't pleasant. For anybody.

Good reason, BTW, would mean refering to me only in regards to geocaching, and only as required. Talking about unsubstantiated claims that I need to take meds, or suffer from paranoia is not acceptable.

Zuuky wrote:

Good reason, BTW, would mean refering to me only in regards to geocaching, and only as required. Talking about unsubstantiated claims that I need to take meds, or suffer from paranoia is not acceptable.

First of all, let me say that I'm not going to get into anything with you here -- it just never works out to anything positive. But in defence of the complaints that you are making, I do have a couple of things to say before I leave this topic.

It seems that you yourself bring up the meds issue a fair bit. In fact, I recall a recent discussion that you had about meds with CO Admin. If you hadn't gotten bent out of shape about this and started complaining about RobertM's post, which btw, has no reference to meds whatsoever, I doubt that anyone would have thought of you at all when they read his post. Bottom line is that you are bringing a great deal of this concern upon yourself so don't blame others.

With regard to the paranoia stuff, if you keep thinking that references like RobertM's are being posted specifically about you, paranoia is a word that most people will use.

Lighten up Zuuk, nobody is out to get you (not that I know of anyway).

Edited by Jomarac5

Yeah, I ran out of popcorn too. :(

Incidentally, I took RobertM's remark to be referring to canadazuuk.

I don't know who the 'quitter' RobertM mentioned is, but if that's only mentioned in the Canadian forum, then he shouldn't be suprised that people woould assume CZ due to the threesome drama that goes on.

And here I always thought Canadians were good, decent people - like Red Green & Harold. :D

Thanks guys. I left this thread on page two and things were relativily civil and I felt good about the general direction of this thread.

Wake up first thing this morning with a load of reports posts in my inbox and by the time I've filtered out what was supposed to be a quote and what was supposed to be a report post I was awake. Sorting out the reports of posts was fun and for some reason kept me coming back to this thread. :(

Talk about closing threads and going off topic and micro managing posts, I think I am going to pin this thread to the top of the forum as a great example. Oh oh, better yet how about we let it die and sink to the bottom of the pool.

First thread of the day, Locked. Going to next....I sure would hate to see another thread popup asking why this one was locked as if its not painfully obvious.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING