Are Moderators Micro-managing The Posts?

Alan2

To paraphrase Yogi

"This has become Deja Vu all over again."

Deja moo - that feeling you've heard this bull before.

Finally words of wisdom.

This thread seems to need a gentle redirection as it appearers to be going astray.

Never a moderator around when you need one

Cool and the gang wrote:

The often cited "right" to free speech applies only to our government and it's policies. We should preserve our legal right to free speech at all costs! But within a private institution it is a different matter: When the Groundspeak administrators have reached the limit of thier tolerance with a subject or individual they are completely within thier rights to take action.

While this may be true, if the tolerance level is set too low the whole idea of having public discussion forums is defeated and the possibility of relevant conversation is right out the door.

Edited by Jomarac5
To J&MBella:

This site exists as private entity owned and operated by Groundspeak etc. etc. and with published guidelines that the mangement has every right to enforce. We as users of the site are simply being allowed to use it and this is a privlege that can be revoked at any time by the site.

I can invite someone into my house. I can engage in a conversation with him. I can even post a sign that says "PLEASE DO NOT CALL ME A MORON".

If he calls me a moron I can tell him to shut up. If he doesn't, and I reach the limit of tolerance with him, I can throw him out. It is perfectly legal for me to either without infringing on his right to free speech and he probably isn't going to like it either.

The often cited "right" to free speech applies only to our government and it's policies. We should preserve our legal right to free speech at all costs! But within a private institution it is a different matter: When the Groundspeak administrators have reached the limit of thier tolerance with a subject or individual they are completely within thier rights to take action.

Hopefully this action is taken with good judgement and with consideration for the opinions of everyone involved, but once it's taken there nothing we, as consumers of this site can do but go elsewhere.

Now, I'M GOING CACHING! Have a great Holiday, everyone!

Bad analogy. Well, unless you open your doors to the entire world, and then butt into their conversations trying to direct them to the topic you’ve chosen, tape their mouths closed on a whim, and shout “LA LA LA LA” to keep them from being heard.

Also, by your analogy, someone should have offered me a beer by now, crap, I’ve been hanging out at this dadgum house for years!

:(

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

OK totally off topic, so warn me. but at this moment my daughter is making pretzels. Head on over criminal if you want them fresh

If you'll put one in a Gig Harbor cache, I'll have it before it gets cold!

BTW, I read your profile. Favorite movie? Brown-noser! :(

(That winky sucks)

What's the problem with my reply to Yumitori? I mean come on, read his post again and tell me that he didn't have a little of this coming for his condescending choice of words. My comment about others not posting when this is the type of response that they get, was not out of line. I'll agree that my comment that he should keep his whining to himself was fairly blunt, in my zeal to get the point across, although fully warranted based on his innuendos.

Yep, I did. But I invited it deliberately. I knowingly chose to be snotty and sarcastic. Does that excuse your response? After all, I was only reacting to the posts of others who were themselves behaving badly. So if it's 'fully warranted' for you to reply as you did, then it was equally warranted for me to be 'blunt'.

Or perhaps we were both wrong.

Wow. So much happened in a short time. I was off contemplating whether I should drive an hour do go find 1 cache because it is the closest one to me. Decided against it. That in itself is a much bigger problem, and a topic all its' own. The fact that there are not enough cachers hiding caches around me. OK. Where to start...

1.)

Joe, You're right. I need a GPS. Soon. I can't wait. The sport is amazing. 

I really think Les had opened up a bit. Maybe I misinterpreted his very first few posts, but I got the impression earlier that you were just anti-geocaching. Such is not the case.

2.)

I agree that my post would carry more weight if I had found some geocaches. It might not strictly follow the guidelines but that is the reality.

Yes. It is reality. I'm also not saying it's right or wrong. Just reality. The point I guess I struggled to get across is at the end of the day, we (participants and moderators in the forums) are all geocachers. We are here because we love this sport. Except of coarse for you, Les. You found 1 cache by accident AND you STILL haven't even logged it online! :D Go log that 1st find Les. Join the dark side. Do it, Do it, peer pressure, peer pressure!

3.) To Cool and the Gang: All I saw when I first glanced at your post was.

To J&MBella:    "PLEASE DO NOT CALL ME A MORON".

LMAO! :( I felt terrible. I couldn't remember calling you a moron! Anyway, I don't see where that thread got to the point of such personal attacks where it had to be closed. Sure there were some less than friendly words but I would hardly call them personal. How could anything here be personal. For the most part we don't even know each other well enough to make a personal remark. Mainly it was a few people disagreeing. Sure if you invite a guest into your home and they disagree with you, you could throw them out. But why? If they called you a moron not only should you throw them out you should give em a good bitch slap.

4.) This my favorite part!

J5 wrote:

Cool and the gang wrote:

The often cited "right" to free speech applies only to our government and it's policies. We should preserve our legal right to free speech at all costs! But within a private institution it is a different matter: When the Groundspeak administrators have reached the limit of their tolerance with a subject or individual they are completely within their rights to take action.

While this may be true, if the tolerance level is set too low the whole idea of having public discussion forums is defeated and the possibility of relevant conversation is right out the door.While this may be true, if the tolerance level is set too low the whole idea of having public discussion forums is defeated and the possibility of relevant conversation is right out the door.

Criminal wrote: Bad analogy. Well, unless you open your doors to the entire world, and then butt into their conversations trying to direct them to the topic you’ve chosen, tape their mouths closed on a whim, and shout “LA LA LA LA” to keep them from being heard.

Also, by your analogy, someone should have offered me a beer by now, crap, I’ve been hanging out at this dadgum house for years!

Imagine, J5 & Criminal stepping in for me while I was out. Thanks guys! See, one big happy family again! And Les as long as you go log that find you're invited to Thanksgiving too! Now pass the dadgum beer and pretzels!

Edited by J&MBella

All I can say is, thank goddness this thread was not closed. We would have all missed this little love in.

I agree that my original posts implied an anti-geocache bias but I am not anti-geocaching just anti-geocaching on public land without consent. What has changed since starting to post is my desire to get into the sport. Previously, it was just something I would do eventually, now I am much more eager.

And I actually did log my first find but under a different name. It was a while ago and I could not remember my username or password when I wanted to get back onto the forum.

Les.

I can only suspect the old thread would have gone the same route. But then again maybe not. Maybe Keystones closing of that thread gave us all a couple of minutes to breath and contemplate things a bit which lead to this felicitous thread. :D

NAH! :(

Edited by J&MBella

Nah. That one would have ended in a love in too. We would not have all agreed likely but at least we would have understood and respected each other at the end of it.

These forums were apparently quite a free for all previously. I was not here then and don't see it now.

Yup. One big happy family.

Good nite John-boy.... :(

Les.

I agree that my original posts implied an anti-geocache bias but I am not anti-geocaching just anti-geocaching on public land without consent. What has changed since starting to post is my desire to get into the sport. Previously, it was just something I would do eventually, now I am much more eager.

So (assuming the proponents of this hobby agree that they should not be placed where they are not permitted) do you agree that I can happily pack them out and throw them away. (I would of course, post a message so the the geocache could be archived.)

Just to keep the record straight there is nothing implied about that quote. You were anti-caching. No cacher would have suggested throwing away a cache for any reason. Maybe you have changed but when you stuck your head into the forums you were very much anti caching. If you changed thats great.

I can only suspect the old thread would have gone the same route. But then again maybe not. Maybe Keystones closing of that thread gave us all a couple of minutes to breath and contemplate things a bit which lead to this felicitous thread. :D

Having folks take a break from a heated discussion is definitely one of the things I think about when deciding to close a thread. It is not that there is something wrong with the topic being discussed (whether it's moderation policy or any of the other subjects that tend to stir up emotions) but rather the descent into the muck that umc described earlier on in the thread.

So, I was all ready to give a big thank-you to J&MBella for pointing this out. But then I read:

And now I am crying and I am worried that the tears dripping onto my keyboard will cause a short circuit and fry m............
I can only suspect the old thread would have gone the same route.  But then again maybe not.  Maybe Keystones closing of that thread gave us all a couple of minutes to breath and contemplate things a bit which lead to this felicitous thread.  :D

Having folks take a break from a heated discussion is definitely one of the things I think about when deciding to close a thread. It is not that there is something wrong with the topic being discussed (whether it's moderation policy or any of the other subjects that tend to stir up emotions) but rather the descent into the muck that umc described earlier on in the thread.

So, I was all ready to give a big thank-you to J&MBella for pointing this out. But then I read:

And now I am crying and I am worried that the tears dripping onto my keyboard will cause a short circuit and fry m............

Don't cry Keystone.

I was going to leave it at...

Maybe Keystones closing of that thread gave us all a couple of minutes to breath and contemplate things a bit which lead to this felicitous thread.

... but my sense of humor (or lack thereof) got the better of me. Sorry. Here's a tissue... :P

So (assuming the proponents of this hobby agree that they should not be placed where they are not permitted) do you agree that I can happily pack them out and throw them away. (I would of course, post a message so the the geocache could be archived.)

Just to keep the record straight there is nothing implied about that quote. You were anti-caching. No cacher would have suggested throwing away a cache for any reason. Maybe you have changed but when you stuck your head into the forums you were very much anti caching. If you changed thats great.

Lapaglia,

Thanks for "setting the record straight" there. I would not want anyone to think I misrepresented myself.

But to set the record straight (at least my version of it, Lapaglia has a different version):

I don't think my previous statement shows an "anti-geocache bias" just the "anti-geocache on public property bias" I admit to.

I think if you re-read the entire thread you would see that my views on what I should do about a geocache on public property changed. I learned something because the thread existed for as long as it did. I might have learned more and maybe convinced someone else to change his/her position a bit if the thread had not been locked.

That is kind of my whole point - no one got a chance to really finish the conversation.

Les.

I think a lot of us got hung up on a few of the things you said and just figured you were anti-geocaching and with good reason. However, I do think in hindsight we we're much closer to finding middle ground then some of us thought, at least then I thought. Don't for get the 'I think it takes away from the natural beauty of the land'. If that is still your stance it may very well be the only thing at this point that I still disagree with. (and that's ok) I don't know if anyone else feels the same.

I know, I know this post was off topic. Hmm... then again if one of the admins were to say "Hey J&MBella that post was off topic, get your s*** together", give me a warning and threaten to close this thread, then we would be back on topic again. :(

Edited by J&MBella

I know, I know this post was off topic. Hmm... then again if one of the admins were to say "Hey J&MBella that post was off topic, get your s*** together", give me a warning and threaten to close this thread, then we would be back on topic again. :D

Hey J&MBella was that a request or just a comment?

:D:(:P

lessenergy wrote:

Lapaglia has a different version

He quite often does (that's not an attack or a dig -- it's an observation).

FWIW: I never saw you to be anti-caching.

Awww, that's sweet of you to say, Jomarac5. Sort of like my saying that I never really saw you as being pro-pirate

Edited by Lapaglia

I know, I know this post was off topic.  Hmm... then again if one of the admins were to say "Hey J&MBella that post was off topic, get your s*** together", give me a warning and threaten to close this thread, then we would be back on topic again.    :D

:D:(:P

Both. And I said 'THREATEN to close the thread'. NOT'close the thread.'

Edited by J&MBella

I know, I know this post was off topic.  Hmm... then again if one of the admins were to say "Hey J&MBella that post was off topic, get your s*** together", give me a warning and threaten to close this thread, then we would be back on topic again.    :D

:D:(:D

Both. And I said 'THREATEN to close the thread'. 'NOT close the thread.'

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Is that threating enough???

:P:DB)

Lapaglia wrote:

Sort of like my saying that I never really saw you as being pro-pirate

That might have some relevance if we were speaking of cache pirates. But we're not. 87227_9300.gif

(Yes, a different version of pretty much everything.)

Edited by Jomarac5
Actually with the pink and blue horsey up there it's kind of hard to be threatening. Sorry.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!77980_300.jpg

LOL, I have to agree. But it's such a pretty pony. My daughter picked out this avatar. I think she was having fun at her old mans expense.

Tell you what, pretend there is an ugly monster inside if that helps.

Wow, this thread has got wildly off topic here but I've had a few laughs because of it.

To (kind of) get back on topic. Where is the harm in getting off topic? I've noticed that it is mostly when people get off topic that things lighten up and there can't be anything wrong with that.

Thanks,

Les

(And I am pretty sure that horse is about to devour that innocent little butterfly - the thing is vicious for sure.)

Wow, this thread has got wildly off topic here but I've had a few laughs because of it.

To (kind of) get back on topic. Where is the harm in getting off topic? I've noticed that it is mostly when people get off topic that things lighten up and there can't be anything wrong with that.

Thanks,

Les

(And I am pretty sure that horse is about to devour that innocent little butterfly - the thing is vicious for sure.)

to repeat myself since you asked this same question on page one I will repost the answer:

the following is a direct quote from the forum guidelines.

Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that are off topic may be closed by the moderator.

Thats why the moderators care. they are following the guidelines.

Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that are off topic may be closed by the moderator.

Actually that doesn't answer the question. We all realize it's in the guidelines, but it's the guidelines are being questioned. What's so bad about a thread going off topic a bit?

Ironically, the mods are answering the original question of this topic. Are Moderators Micro-managing The Posts?

Not here.

Edited by J&MBella

Actually that doesn't answer the question. We all realize it's in the guidelines, but it's the guidelines are being questioned. What's so bad about a thread going off topic a bit?

Ironically, the mods are answering the original question of this topic. Are Moderators Micro-managing The Posts?

Not here.

Ok, maybe I am not explaining it correctly. the harm of going off topic is that its not allowed. So instead of some people complaining about the mods doing their job and keeping things on topic they should start a thread about changing the guidelines. then the mods would not have to keep things on topic if it changed.

And I agree, no Micro managment in this thread.

The lightening up here in an OT fashion is fine and thats the point we were trying to convey as there is still a on topic undertone.

As has been mentioned, as long as things don't get ugly you usually don't see much of us, with the exception of me and thats just because I love to post. :(

Mark 42 wrote:

Are they Guidelines, or are they Rules?

That depends on whether you think it's a game or a hobby.

UMC wrote:

As has been mentioned, as long as things don't get ugly you usually don't see much of us, with the exception of me and thats just because I love to post

With the exception of yourself, I'm not so certain that this is true.