Is It Bad Ettiquette Visit Old Caches To Get Tb

docdesi

Typically I leave TBs in already-visited caches alone. TBs draw visitors, and cache owners deserve to have new visitors drawn to their caches by TBs that end up in them. Sometimes I see the more active cachers in my neighborhood blanket a park with TBs that they have retrieved from other places. They aren't just moving TBs along - they're trying to newer cachers interested in existing caches.

That's just my opinion. Exceptionally interesting TBs serve as exceptions to that rule (of mine.) Of course, I am more likely to go to unfound (by me) caches that have TBs in them.

Typically I leave Tbs in already-visited caches alone. TBs draw visitors, and cache owners deserve to have new visitors drawn to their caches by TBs that end up in them. Sometimes I see the more active cachers in my neighborhood blanket a park with TBs that they have retrieved from other places. They aren't just moving TBs along - they're trying to newer cachers interested in existing caches.

That's just my opinion. Exceptionally interesting TBs serve as exceptions to that rule (of mine.) Of course, I am more likely to go to unfound (by me) caches that have TBs in them.

I do it all the time in our local Airport Travel Bug Hotel. Usually I am swapping, but have been know to help a bug along as I fly out of that airport often.

I guess my point is...not a bad idea if you help the bug along quickly.

Some people in my area (MN) return repeatedly to certain "bug hotels" to grab

or drop bugs. Some hotels are regularly visited by the same 10-15 people, who just keep the bugs accumulating, to be "found" by other bug hunters.

Thing is, none of these bugs seem to travel very far, and most have completely different goals listed on their page. But since bugs are counted as finds, some people seem to go after as many as they can get. A bug hotel serves that purpose.

I personally go for caches/Tbugs that I have not visted. I have only returned to a cache more than once to rdop bugs (my own).

I think some of the ideas here are good ones... I like to grab bugs up so that I can give them laminated "goal" tags. But I like the idea of grabbing them... puting the goal tags on... then returning them back to the same cache that they were grabbed from...

hmmmm

No docdesi old buddy - I don't think it is wrong to revisit to grab... I love collecting bugs... specially when my "Ken's Head" TB met up with "KentuckyBoi" (aka Barbie's Head TB) and began their geodate... CCCooperAgency now has them... wonder what she will do with them?

Good discussion!

If you like, you can take it from, and then place it back, in the same cache. You get credit for the TB, and the next finder can move it along.

No offense intended, Crim, but I don't really like this idea. That's just my own personal feelings, and I'm sure you have your own justfied reason for doing so. To me, it just seems a way to boost your TB count. I say, if that's what you want to do, that's your decision. As for me, if I were out to boost my count, I'd also move the bug along to kill two birds with one stone. Again, just my own tunnelvisioned opinion, but I just can't see the point in picking up a bug from a cache and then returning it to that cache, unless you realized that you won't be able to help the bug move on, as has been addressed in other threads. That is only MY opinion, mind you.

If you like, you can take it from, and then place it back, in the same cache.  You get credit for the TB, and the next finder can move it along.

No offense intended, Crim, but I don't really like this idea. That's just my own personal feelings, and I'm sure you have your own justfied reason for doing so. To me, it just seems a way to boost your TB count. I say, if that's what you want to do, that's your decision. As for me, if I were out to boost my count, I'd also move the bug along to kill two birds with one stone. Again, just my own tunnelvisioned opinion, but I just can't see the point in picking up a bug from a cache and then returning it to that cache, unless you realized that you won't be able to help the bug move on, as has been addressed in other threads. That is only MY opinion, mind you.

None taken.

This was the question:

Is it poor TB ettiquette to go back to caches that you had been to previously just to pick up more TB that you havent had before...i always feel bad about doing this (hasnt stopped me yet)but looking for opinion of the group..thanks

I never claimed to have done this. I have in the past placed and removed TBs in/out of caches for a different reason. The question (I thought anyway) was about a "TB you haven't had before". This says to me that docedsi wanted to have a find on a particular bug, (or any bug) that was placed in a cache already logged. Hey, if someone wants a bug, it's no hair off my behind. They might feel some guilt, however, in that the next legitimate finder of the cache will not get the bug. My solution was a compromise.

I like Criminal's idea. And WalruZ makes a good point. Travel bugs do seem to attract visitors to caches.

Of course, if I'm planning some interesting caching in the near future, I'll take the bug with me.

And Jeremy's point of leaving a note to the cache owner is good, too. I always appreciate it when someone informs me of the condition of the cache.

Oh, that's right. I need to replace the log in a cache! :ph34r:

I've found that if one goes to the cache and gets the tag number of the bug, and then posts a note (not an "I have it") for the bug, one gets credit for the find, without having to actually remove the bug from the cache (and only needing one step online.)

I thought you actually have to log it as an "I Have It" to get it listed on your "My Cache" page...

I've found that if one goes to the cache and gets the tag number of the bug, and then posts a note (not an "I have it") for the bug, one gets credit for the find, without having to actually remove the bug from the cache (and only needing one step online.)

I thought you actually have to log it as an "I Have It" to get it listed on your "My Cache" page...

I was wondering about that too.

BTW, cool Avatar, gargoyle! :lol:

I guess you are right there pjmorse... good call... good idea... not sure if I am gonna do that because I like to add the tags... but it is a good idea.

Thanks Sparky...

I think I changed it about 5 times this morning so Iam not sure which avatar you like. If it is the face then thanks... thats my face... scares most people... specially those that have to see it everyday :lol:

:lol: I go along with swifteroo reply, if the Bug is sitting there then get it on the move.I am kinda new at this but I do alot more hunting and finding of cache in a three state area lately then anybody eles in the area, so I want to find caches I have not found but I think it's perfectly alright to re-visit one with a bug to move it along. I own four Bugs of my own and hope some one with the same feelings would do the same with my Bugs.

Thanks,Just my opinion, Jeff24