Has Anyone Found A Cache In All 50 States?

gpsblake

We already have an RV

We have already visited 47 of 50 states, most before geocaching and gps.

We have not won the lottery

As soon as we get the right numbers, we will visit North Dakota, Alaska and Hawaii and start over on the first 47 with gps in hand.

We will even take our gps accross the pond where they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Texas Geocaching

Jim & Jo Ann

I'm sure there are several people in geocaching that might have over 25 states.

Me? :D I laugh. I've only been out of the state once since starting to geocache. Found on there though, so I've found caches in two states. Only 48 to go.

Just what I need, another goal to reach before I die. :(

We have found caches in 14 states, DC and 1 in Canada. But they are all virtual, sorry. Just didn't have the time to hunt normal ones while we were on vacation. But we did find 36 (+1 webcam one) of them in 30 days!

Hmmm. I'm not sure how you vacation, but we were able to find six caches on our last camping trip. One was a virtual and we would have probably found more but we ran out of time. We've been able to work caching into all of our camping trips the past three years. Each trip we've found more caches than the year before.

I would imagine if you're not camping, but hoteling it, it would be more difficult to find actual caches. And no need to apologize. I find virtuals rather fulfilling from time to time.

Edited by Webfoot
I would imagine if you're not camping, but hoteling it, it would be more difficult to find actual caches.

Ya, we were hoteling it. We had not been on a (real) vacation in almost 11 years so we made the most of it. Drove from Chicago to Orlando, there for 2 weeks then up the coast to upper NY then home. Whew! 6k + miles! Lots of fun! Doing the caches helped break up the driving somewhat, but didn't have the time to devote to spending more than 1/2 hour or so to each one, virts filled the bill quite nicely.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

According to KeenPeople.com the top cachers for states cached are:

Ranking UserID  Updated 
1  Quiddler  	29
2  GneissTuff&Wacke	27
3  mtn-man  	24
4  moosiegirl  	24
5  byonke  	23
6  The Outlaw    23
7  Mountain_Wanderer  22
8  thehobos    19
9  Smitherington  	18
10  Cacheabels  	17   
11  barondriver  	17  
12  the Tribe of Two  	17

Edited by CacheMonkeez

Thanks to my most recent excursion, I have increased my "# of states cached in" to 3, although I have traveled in 49 states.

The stats posted above are interesting, however. Quiddler is the first geocacher I met. He introduced me to the sport on the Knobstone trail in Indiana on April 23, 2003, while we were seeking a (my first) cache.

119047_13700.jpg;)

NC, SC, GA, NJ, NY, TN, KY, IN, IL. Trip to MO in 2 weeks--have already planned which caches to hit (when not working). Trip to London in early Feb--have already checked the area I will be in for cache density! Looks like I will have a ton of fun, or not get any work done. It is great when I can work in an extra day just for the caching! Was sort of hoping there might be a cache event while I was across the pond in order to visit with some foreign cachers. OzGuff

Ranking UserID  Updated 
1  Quiddler  	29
2  GneissTuff&Wacke	27
3  mtn-man  	24
4  moosiegirl  	24
5  byonke  	23
6  The Outlaw    23
7  Mountain_Wanderer  22
8  thehobos    19
9  Smitherington  	18
10  Cacheabels  	17   
11  barondriver  	17  

I haven't spent anytime at KP.com so this may be wrong-but

Don't you have to enter your own logs there?

I find it hard to believe that BruceS and CCCooper Agency don't top this list.

I've been wondering where GTW has been since we never see her logs in NC any more! :rolleyes:

Make spellcheck a premium feature and I'll pay for a lifetime membership. :(

Edited by wimseyguy

I have found caches in 3 states. MD, ME, MA.

The M theme is coincidental, actually.

I also tried my hand at caching in Dresden, Germany...but between my poor translation of the webpages and somehow not getting the final math right, I missed out on both I tried.

I'm going to Spain in another month, but the closest caches are over 50 km from the hotel.

I have 22 states the District of Columbia and Ireland over the course of my caching career. But I have been travelling quite a bit since the first of January and have cached in, Tennessee Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri and Kansas. 248 caches in 11 states this month with ten more days to go, this is what life is all about.

edit to add Ireland

Edited by Monkeybrad

Ranking UserID  Updated 
1  Quiddler  	29
2  GneissTuff&Wacke	27
3  mtn-man  	24
4  moosiegirl  	24
5  byonke  	23
6  The Outlaw    23
7  Mountain_Wanderer  22
8  thehobos    19
9  Smitherington  	18
10  Cacheabels  	17   
11  barondriver  	17  

I haven't spent anytime at KP.com so this may be wrong-but

Don't you have to enter your own logs there?

I find it hard to believe that BruceS and CCCooper Agency don't top this list.

I've been wondering where GTW has been since we never see her logs in NC any more! <_<

Make spellcheck a premium feature and I'll pay for a lifetime membership. :D

1. Yes, you have to enter your own stats

2. BruceS has not entered his stats, CCCA has not listed states cached stats

3. ?

I have cached in many states, by I have expressly avoided trying to find a cache in every state. If I started that, I'd have to finish it.

In the course of caching this summer, I travelled to or through 43 states. I didn't hit Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska, or Hawaii, but I've already been to all those except Alaska and Hawaii.

Guess where I'm driving this summer?

June 17, 2004, I leave Baton Rouge, LA, on I-10 heading toward Los Angeles, where I will turn north onto I-5. After reaching Seattle, WA, it's on to Anchorage, AK, back to Seattle, over to Helena, down through Denver, to Oklahoma City, to Dallas, and back to Baton Rouge, LA. (Route subject to change until completed, of course... last summer I was headed to Maine... by the time I got to Mississippi, I had added North Dakota to the trip, and by the time I got to Mass. I had added Utah and Nevada (plus California, since it was right there anyway, even though I'd done it already). I may end up in Florida if I'm going to Alaska first.)

I have cached in many states, by I have expressly avoided trying to find a cache in every state.  If I started that, I'd have to finish it.

In the course of caching this summer, I travelled to or through 43 states.  I didn't hit Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska, or Hawaii, but I've already been to all those except Alaska and Hawaii.

Guess where I'm driving this summer?

June 17, 2004, I leave Baton Rouge, LA, on I-10 heading toward Los Angeles, where I will turn north onto I-5.  After reaching Seattle, WA, it's on to Anchorage, AK, back to Seattle, over to Helena, down through Denver, to Oklahoma City, to Dallas, and back to Baton Rouge, LA.  (Route subject to change until completed, of course... last summer I was headed to Maine... by the time I got to Mississippi, I had added North Dakota to the trip, and by the time I got to Mass. I had added Utah and Nevada (plus California, since it was right there anyway, even though I'd done it already).  I may end up in Florida if I'm going to Alaska first.)

;):P:lol:

Oh, and I've cached in 5 states so far: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas.

Edited by Pipanella

KeenPeople stats are opt-in-only, and are self-entered and controlled. I'm sure many people have entered hundreds or thousands of finds without attributing them to any state other than their default.

Further, I know of many cachers who are hundreds, and even thousands, of finds behind in logging to KeenPeople. I also know of a few people KeenPeople lists as having a thousand or more finds that nobody has ever heard of on this site or on Navicache. So, take KeenPeople stats for what they are worth.

Edited by BassoonPilot
Just curious if anyone has done one in every single state (no virtuals) or has plans to do so.

It looks like there are five potential answers to your question:

1. Yes

2. No

3. Maybe

4. Don't know

5. Not telling

I'm not sure how the focus of the thread became "How many states have you cached in."

For the record, I don't know if anyone has managed to snag a physical cache in every state, and I have no plans to do so personally.

Edited by BassoonPilot
Just curious if anyone has done one in every single state (no virtuals) or has plans to do so.

It looks like there are five potential answers to your question:

1. Yes

2. No

3. Maybe

4. Don't know

5. Not telling

I'm not sure how the focus of the thread became "How many states have you cached in."

For the record, I don't know if anyone has managed to snag a physical cache in every state, and I have no plans to do so personally.

Well, if you ever change your mind, please be sure to report your state count stats on the KeenPeople site, as it will be the only way for us to know how you're doing! :o

Edited by The Leprechauns
Well, if you ever change your mind, please be sure to report your state count stats on the KeenPeople site, as it will be the only way for us to know how you're doing!  B)

Sorry, no can do. I deleted all my stats from KeenPeople because of the rampant abuse. B)

I am shocked :D and dismayed :o to learn of this rampant abuse. Who would have thought that this would occur? Gosh, I am glad that I wasn't there.

Since we are making lists.....

Real caches:

8 States, 3 countries, one of the countries includes 2 Provinces of Canada.

Real and virtual caches:

12 States, 4 countries, one of the countries includes 3 Provinces of Canada.

I've been to 49 of the 50 States in my lifetime, but have only been caching for over two years. Bummer.

Edited by Ambrosia

For physical caches:

States: New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, District of Columbia, Hawaii, South Carolina

Countries: USA, Switzerland, Italy, Portugal, Vatican City, France, Germany, Spain

I should be adding Mass and California to state and the UK for countries before years end.

:P Since my January post to this topic, we've added a few states. As of today we've found caches in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Illinois, Mississippi, Alabama, Missouri, Hawaii, Georgia (Virtual Only), New York, Arizona, California, North Carolina, Indiana,Pennsylvania, Alaska, and New Mexico(17 states, British Columbia, Canada and Great Britain. Come the first week in November, we hope to add a couple more.

Unfortunately, when I travel, I'm never with anyone that would be willing to go caching with me.

I think after I get a job I need to plan a weekend trip... I'm going to go to GA to visit a friend, so maybe I'll add in a few states (I can hit SC or NC in about 90 minutes from where I'm going)..

So far, just OH and TN for me - the states I've lived in while caching.

Some of the MTGC could have a run for it... (This is the top four of the group. When I pay for membership, I'll be 44th on their list)

Southpaw is at 24 states and 2 other countries

RobertLipe is at 23 and 2

MonkeyBrad is at 26 plus DC plus 5 countries.

Scoot has 21 plus DC plus 2