Legend And A Laptop

DaMoosen

What things exactly do I need to use my Legend with a laptop that I might purchase?

Can it do real-time GPS-ing displayed on the laptop screen?

Or can you only DL maps and waypoints to the GPS unit?

I seems like it would be fun to navigate and know what's along the way.

I am really new to this and have really only figured out getting to a cache so far.

Not sure if the Legend comes with a data cable or not, if it doesn't, you'll need to get one.

Microsoft Streets & Trips 2004 does real-time tracking with input from your GPS. You will need to set the 'communications' on the GPS to NMEA in/out.

I've used Streets & Trips a good bit, and it's pretty decent. Not completely up-to-date with the roads around here, but I'd imagine it's the same as any mapping program/paper map. As more roads are built, it takes a little while for the info to make it to the maps.

One annoying thing is when addresses don't show up in the right locations. I've already had one address that the location in Streets & Trips was about 6 miles from the actual location.......

I use a Legend with my laptop. If your laptop has a serial port then you will NOT need anything else to connect the GPS. If it has only USB ports, then you will need a USB to Serial cable. They can be found on Ebay.

I have 3 different mapping applications: Streets & Trips, Mapsource, and Delorme's Street Atlas. I like the Mapsource best. I think the map detail is very good. I use the Metroguide version 4.02 with it. This version has an autoroute feature.

The Delorme Street Atlas also has autorouting and it talks to you when it's time to make a turn. But it is not an intutitive program to use.

All the software packages have their pros and cons. The best suggestion is to find someone who uses one and see if you can get a demo and then make a decision.

What things exactly do I need to use my Legend with a laptop that I might purchase?

A cable (gpsgeek if you don't already have one) and a laptop with a serial port or some kind of adapter that will connect to the GPS cables DB-9 connector.

Can it do real-time GPS-ing displayed on the laptop screen?

Yes, with the right software on your laptop. Any mapping software that will take GPS input will do. Just be careful that it will connect to any USB/serial adapter you may be using. That's shouldn't be a problem, but you never know. USB serial adapters can be oddball ports.

Or can you only DL maps and waypoints to the GPS unit?

You can do that too. EasyGPS is a free app that will so that (but no mapping)