Travel Bugs

colonelby

I'm tempted to make "get out of jail free" TB. Actually the only thing stopping me is that I have absolutely no use for him. That and I probably don't want to piss off anyone too much this time of the year.

Get Out of Jail Free isn't a ordinary cache item. In fact, he's not even an ordinary travel bug. Using modern TB cloning technology, he can be replicated by anyone willing to have new tags stamped (try your local army surplus store) and a new tag printed an laminated. He can then be used to rescue a TB that has sat in a TB hotel (if you take one, leave one) for way too long.

Basicly, this means having the TB # visible on his page, but that won't be the first time that's happened.

I still have a couple that need to be finished and released, including Tweedle Beetle and Keychain Collector. When the time is right...

You might want to discuss this one in the Travel Bugs forum

::looking around::: pssst! This IS the travel bug forum :)

OFF TOPIC:

It was probably in some other forum first, then got moved here.

Hmmm ... I thought there was some sort of icon that gave us a clue in that direction. Wasn't there? An arrow/envelope icon or something?

colonelby,

Good luck on your TB's goal! It sounds fun.

Might I suggest a small addition to its description? Just put the date of when the 80 days passes. I know it's not a hard math problem, but it would be nice and easy for everyone to see - and looking right at the date might encourage people to really put the move on it!

Edited by MissJenn
You might want to discuss this one in the Travel Bugs forum

::looking around::: pssst! This IS the travel bug forum :(

OFF TOPIC:

It was probably in some other forum first, then got moved here.

Hmmm ... I thought there was some sort of icon that gave us a clue in that direction. Wasn't there? An arrow/envelope icon or something?

Yes, there is. This thread started in General and briansnat moved it here. There is an arrow there.

My Surly the SR71 has a goal to fly and fly often. It would be good if it could rack up distance-to-the-moon miles, but that could take a long time. Alien Army of Chaos will to that much quicker.

My Surly the SR71 has a goal to fly and fly often. It would be good if it could rack up distance-to-the-moon miles, but that could take a long time. Alien Army of Chaos will to that much quicker.

Are you the owner of the Alien Army of Chaos? I love that set of bugs.

My California County Cacher might not be unique, as I've seen other versions for other states, but I like him.

I agree, it's definitely interesting. I would think it would be rather confusing for a person who grabbed it. You'd really want to make sure you wrote the bug's number down before you placed one of them in another cache as it could very likely disappear from your inventory before you got home to log the bug into that particular cache. I would also bet that many are surprises to finders because they probably aren't listed on the page.

Personally, I'd love to find one of them.

colonelby,

Good luck on your TB's goal! It sounds fun.

Might I suggest a small addition to its description? Just put the date of when the 80 days passes. I know it's not a hard math problem, but it would be nice and easy for everyone to see - and looking right at the date might encourage people to really put the move on it!

Hi,

Thanks, I will be adding the final arrival date tonight.

colonelby

Hi,

Has anyone ever been waiting for a travel bug to move? How long is the longest wait you've had?

colonelby

New colonelby caches.

Travel bugs seem to be on their own timetable despite our best efforts at an orderly travel.

Sometimes they will sit in a cache for weeks or even months, then move three or four caches in one weekend. Others will be picked up one day, and deposited the next weekend with regularity, while still others might be picked up and then held for long periods of time.

The key is patience.

Did you try doing a search of this forum for races?

A quick look at some of the recent threads came up with these threads, but a search will probably come up with more...

The CircumConUS race just started

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=59876

A new race in Europe and Africa

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=61258

Other race possibilities, including a current one

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=26401

Edited to add the 2003 Cannonball Run

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=26567

Edited by brad.32