Ammo Boxes

Fritz_Monroe

Folk, I'm as new as they come. I haven't even gotten my GPS yet. Should be here on Wednesday, just in time to find my first cache Thanksgiving day, hopefully.

I know that many of these are hidden in ammo boxes and someone mentioned that you can get then cheap at cheaperthandirt.com I went there and the only ammo boxes I found were plastic cases that say they are water-proof. Are these the cases you guys use? When I think ammo box, I think Army surplus. Those heavy metal cases with the clamp that an 8 year old can't open.

Thanks

F_M

Something I've been seeing lately is Camo Tape on ammo boxes.

Now I'm a large man. I move heavy objects for fun.

But when the camo tape is too close to the lid it begins to fold and the glue gets between the lid and the box and the tape jams up the works.

When winter comes and really makes that glue solid, peeling off the lid is a strong man act.

Keep the camo tape away from the area where the lid meets the box....

Go to the Military Surplus area where you will find, for example, .50 cal. Ammo Cans.

Why do people insist on calling these "50 cal" ammo cans? They aren't it clearly says on the side "5.56 mm" which is about .223 cal. Most of these cans either had 5.56 mm or 7.62 mm and never had .50 cal! You would hardly get enough in one of these small cans to make it worthwhile... bbbbbrrrbb and you'd be out of ammo!!!

Sigh... never mind. :)

I'm bummed as many months ago I had about a dozen of those.. I had no use for and were taking up space so you guessed it, I tossed them.

As Homer Simpson would say: DOH!!!!!!!!

A couple of months ago I was visiting Atlanta and had the opportunity to visit a local landfill. You wouldn't believe it, but I found about a dozen perfectly good ammo cans just sitting there! I quickly threw them in the back of my SUV and zipped back to western NC.

OzGuff

P.S. Not really...

Something I've been seeing lately is Camo Tape on ammo boxes.

One thing I noticed about camo duct tape -- the color fades after a few months' exposure to the elements. The ones I have seen change color when they fade -- from the brown/green patterns to blue tones. They stand right out from the background and are easy to spot from some distance away.

Made the search easier, but kinda defeats the purpose of trying to hide the cache well.

:)

Why do people insist on calling these "50 cal" ammo cans? They aren't it clearly says on the side "5.56 mm" which is about .223 cal.  Most of these cans either had 5.56 mm or 7.62 mm and never had .50 cal!  You would hardly get enough in one of these small cans to make it worthwhile... bbbbbrrrbb and you'd be out of ammo!!!

Sigh... never mind.  :(

They have been remarked and reused to distribute 9mm and 5.56 ammo, but the .50 caliber cans were made to hold belt-fed .50 BMG

50calmg.gif

Similarly, the .30 caliber boxes really are for belt-fed 7.62 machine gun ammo.

ApK

Edited by ApK

Perosnally, I think using ammo boxes for cache containers is a nice example of beating swords into plowshares, and just one more little peace dividend from our defense tax dollars.

Plus, I get the boxes for free when I order them full of ammo. ;)

ApK

I'm bummed as many months ago I had about a dozen of those.. I had no use for and were taking up space so you guessed it, I tossed them.

As Homer Simpson would say:  DOH!!!!!!!!

A couple of months ago I was visiting Atlanta and had the opportunity to visit a local landfill. You wouldn't believe it, but I found about a dozen perfectly good ammo cans just sitting there! ...

P.S. Not really...

:unsure:B)B)B)B)B)