Womens Safety

bluedude

I know of a couple of women cachers who go out alone. One women in particular goes everywhere alone and I am concerned for her safety. How safe are they, knowing that there are some weirdo's out there?

Mister, we are the weirdos.

(Slight misquote from The Craft)

Seriously - there are a few weirdos out there. There is absolutely nothing you can do, male or female, if they decide to get weird on your a**, so get on with your caching and enjoy yourself, but be ready to turn back if you get a funny feeling or see strange goings on.

Just my opinon,

Stu

I know of a couple of women cachers who go out alone. One women in particular goes everywhere alone and I am concerned for her safety. How safe are they, knowing that there are some weirdo's out there?

What do members think of this important issue?

Why should this be limited to just women?

I know there are times (especially when night-caching) that I have felt quite vulnerable when out alone.

When I go caching alone, I *always* carry a phone.... forget being attacked, it is easly to fall & twist an ankle or break a leg!

You have to apply double helpings of common sense: check if anyone else is around when you park. Keep looking and listening for others. Be aware where "inhabitation" is.

Also, look at it the other way around: don't APPEAR to be a threat to others.

Paul

Three common sense rules,

If you don't feel comfortable in a location, leave immediately, DO NOT HESITATE!

Always plan a escape route, update constantly to take into account changing situations.

Carry a personal attack alarm, or a loud whistle, and don't be afraid to use it if you are worried. Better to look foolish and alive and safe! If you don't posses one just scream and shout.

The above advice was given to me, by a relative who at the time was a senior officer in the GMP, advice which I've followed ever since. Advice given to me because at the time, I had to travel on foot thru a very notorious area of Manchester in the early morning and late at night to and from work. I was late for work quite a few times because of this advice, but was not once attacked!

Dave

No more at risk than your average walker I guess. As Paul has already hinted at, I would be much more concerned with the possibility of a twisted ankle or something!!!! I suggest there is a much greater likelyhood of that. I do go caching alone but, am much happier when accompanied. Not because there is a chance of attack from a "wierdo", but because of health risks. The possibility of Heart Attack, broken bone, twisted ankle, bad bee sting, for example need to be considered.

Oh!! And a little company never goes amiss. They can carry the backpack :)

I know there are times (especially when night-caching) that I have felt quite vulnerable when out alone.

When I go caching alone, I *always* carry a phone.... forget being attacked, it is easly to fall & twist an ankle or break a leg!

You have to apply double helpings of common sense: check if anyone else is around when you park. Keep looking and listening for others. Be aware where "inhabitation" is.

Also, look at it the other way around: don't APPEAR to be a threat to others.

Paul

I'd second this.

I'm very wary at night and I'm 6ft & 215lbs. :)

I was once caching in the Lakes near a remote car park well after sunset when a car with a couple of suspicious characters drove in so I decided to abandon the hunt and make a quick exit. Were they car thieves, drug dealers or there for innocent reasons - probably the latter (other cachers?) but I didn't fancy hanging around to find out. Mind you I did wonder what they thought when I suddenly appeared from the bushes!

You could always go caching with Slytherin or Mr Hedgehog - I'm sure they'd squash anyone who caused any trouble! :):)

Seasider

Good point here but in the end what can you do, its either go out and assume the risks that the world supplies or spend night after night at home. I have to admit that I have wondered many fields with 999 dialed into my phone just a buttons press away :) Maybe its just common sense as to which places should be attempted during which times, although thats rich after what me and Pid did at a certain cache where we were threatened with guns, then went round the back and finished off the cache :)

What do members think of this important issue?

Life is a risk.

People always used to worry about me going out on my own zooming around (before I found geocaching), but lifes too short to worry. As long she goes with her gut instincts all will be fine. No need to worry about her.

Sarah

How safe are they, knowing that there are some weirdo's out there?

It all depends on the woman. Are you saying that just because they are women they are more vulnerable. I know some men who would qualify as unsafe by themselves. What about children? It all depends on where and who the person is. If you are frail, take someone along or at least have a cell phone. :(

If anyone's worried about wandering around in the dark at this time of year, go and buy a cheap camera flashgun and carry it primed. If someone leaps out at you it takes a couple of seconds to whip it out of your pocket and fire it. The assailant won't be able to see anything for 5 or 10 minutes so you've got plenty of time to escape.

Non-violent, non-contact and no-permanent damage - and the flash should recharge in less than a minute.

I sugest that you use your common sense and judge each cache site based upon location and likelyhood of risk, if you have any doubts, don't do it. The chances are that your intuition will tell you if the location that you arrive at does not feel comfortable. In reallity it is quite unlikely in most rural situations that you would be at risk.As a safety precaution, you might consider informing a friend where you are going and what time you expect to return, explain to them that if you do not call in ( to them) by a certain time that they should try and call you to ascertain that you are secure and if no contact can be made to inform the police so that they can enquire after your well being ( Plod will normally be only to glad to have confimed that you are safe). Bear in mind that you will always be safer if accompanied bya friend. If caching in the North Hampshire vicinity ( +/- a county) we would be pleased to try and accompany you. Cheers, John & Family. ;)

In the year or so that I’ve been geocaching, I’ve never felt myself to be in any serious danger. On the occasions that I’ve been ‘night caching’, I’ve certainly had the adrenaline rush when an animal has made a noise close to me and made me jump a bit. I’ve been attacked and bitten by a ‘guard’ dog whilst walking on a footpath around a farm but that I can cope with. I’ve never been scared of dogs nor do I have any reservations about clouting them, hard, with anything that comes to hand (like a 4 cell Maglite) should the need arise.

When I go up into the wilder part of our country, geocaching or just for the hell of it, I always leave a note on a clipboard in my car stating where I’m heading, what time I left and what time I expect to return. I also tell my sister where I’m going and, if the signal permits, text my grid ref to her every half hour or so. The usual safety stuff. I’m a great believer in ‘common sense’. You don’t get extra ‘brownie points’ for being stupid. If you ain’t happy about where you are or about what you’re doing then stop doing it and get the hell out of there!!! That applies to blokes as well as the fairer sex. If you do encounter any ‘problems’ then report them to the authorities. It might be a hassle but you may just be saving someone else a whole lot of grief.

Well, I am a female (apparently) and I generally cache alone. When it is light, I rarely have cause to worry. My compass is a four in one thing and is a whistle too. If dusk comes in quick and I'm in the middle of a field or woods or whatever, I generally walk with my hand in my pocket wrapped round my phone and my whistle in my mouth.

It's like anything....COMMON SENSE is needed.

Daft Tart

Yeah I get that too. Its normally the fear that Dan and Pid might have chosen to do the same cache that night...

I've been in a forgotten graveyard at comedy-o'clock in the morning with them so I *Know* how scary it is.

:):):)

Well, I am a female (apparently) and I generally cache alone. When it is light, I rarely have cause to worry. My compass is a four in one thing and is a whistle too. If dusk comes in quick and I'm in the middle of a field or woods or whatever, I generally walk with my hand in my pocket wrapped round my phone and my whistle in my mouth.

It's like anything....COMMON SENSE is needed.

Daft Tart

Not trying to scare you, Ms Daft, but a whistle won't have much effect on a determined attacker, especially when out in the woods with a good chance of there being no-one else around to hear it. Bit like a car-alarm in that respect: more of an annoyance than a deterrent.

I would recommend the Pharisee method (ruddy big torch) or even a spot of Kung Fu (you should be able to find a course nearby, there's more than enough places in this country).

Yes, the chances of anything "happening" are extremely slim, but existent nonetheless. :)

In this day and age, it is difficult to find anywhere that is completely safe - even walking down a crowded High street during the evening it is possible to see someone getting into a fight or causing trouble.

Like with all these things, it is a case of not making yourself a target.

As with the High Street, if you see trouble you would cross to the other side or summon for assitance if someone is hurt. In the same way, I would never expect Sarah to walk into the middle of nowhere (or even anywhere north of Watford - JOKE!) unaccompanied, even if she insisted that it was not a problem.

Maybe I'm overprotective - but I love my wife!

My recommendation: If in doubt, don't do it.

Bob

I get in from work & what do I find!!!

He hasnt stopped me from taking the dog out to the field next to the church in our village in the dark! I quite like peering over the hedge to see if anything is creeping around yet he admitted he wont go anywhere near it! Especially after seeing a shadow of a figure that disappeared with nowhere for anyone to go! :D

he gets creeped out doing the night caches whilst I just stroll along!

As long as the dog gets a walk!! She wouldn't be much help either - would probably lick an attacker til they couldn't take anymore! ;)

Saying all this, I am very careful & wouldn't go anywhere that I wasn't comfortable with even during the daytime.

Sarah x