Meridian Malfunction

Doc-Dean

I am using a Magellan Meridan GPS with v4.02 firmware. Whenever I try to use my GOTO to set a waypoint to an airport or other pre-programmed location, the unit resets... WTF??

My GPS is 2 years old and I have only noticed this problem since upgrading the software to v4.02.

Suggestions??

Appreciated!!

My experience of upgrading all kind of devices recommends no upgrade firmware until you have a good reason. it's not like upgading software that has a lot of features.

The manufacter usually upgrade firmwares for users that has specifics problems.

You should upgrade your GPSr to an older version or 5.xx version, if in 5.xx works great someone that have'nt had problems in 4.xx version can have in 5.xx

I am using a Magellan Meridan GPS with v4.02 firmware. Whenever I try to use my GOTO to set a waypoint to an airport or other pre-programmed location, the unit resets... WTF??

My GPS is 2 years old and I have only noticed this problem since upgrading the software to v4.02.

Suggestions??

Appreciated!!

Ditto.... Re-flash the firmware being sure to clear all memory before and after the upgrade. If you are still having problems after that, try re-loading your detail and/or basemaps. A corrupt detail map will exhibit the behavior you describe.

alex

For some reason the 5.12 is not available for my model. The most recent version listed on their support site is the v4.02.

I had problems when upgraded to 4.06 on my Sportrack Pro wich was the last version, I phoned to Magellan and they suggested to upgrade an older version (4.02) and they send me an e-mail with that firmware atached, and works better, now i have 5 version and is the best

For some reason the 5.12 is not available for my model.  The most recent version listed on their support site is the v4.02.  If anyone knows different let me know.

4.02 is available for the Yellow/Green in the Yahoo Meridian Users' group file section. You must register to gain access but it's free.

I think the 4.05 came off a recent map software CD.

Another suggestion even if you stick with 4.02 is to re-download it and install again. Sometimes there's a bad bit in there.

For some reason the 5.12 is not available for my model. The most recent version listed on their support site is the v4.02. If anyone knows different let me know.

I did not think it would be wise to try upgrading from a different model than mine just to see if the 5.12 would work.

The basic Meridian model does not support Mapsend DirectRoute. DirectRoute requires 5.0 or better to run. Since your model does not support DirectRoute, I believe that's why there's no 5.x version available.

Version 4.03 is available on the Yahoo site, v4.02 is available on the Magellan site.

Version 4.05 is also available on the Yahoo site, but after reading the posts on Yahoo, I would not recommend it. I have downloaded and installed v4.03 on 2 different MeriGreens, and it works fine.

Here's a quote from the Yahoo discussions:

I know there has been a lot of talk around here about the new 5.12

firmware for the Gold/plat/marine, direct route and the like. Im

enjoyin my marine w/5.12, its great. However, there has been a lot

of confusion and the like about the base GPS. I have put 4.02/.03/.05

in my yellow and from what I can tell 4.03 seemed to be the best. Im

thinking of going back, if this doesnt clear up with reload.

Things Ive noticed with 4.05:

1: Speed seems less acurate, like it updates slower.

2: Higher epe on average

3: chicken tracks worse than ever

4: poor sat lock, attaining and holding

5: general sluginshness and slingshot dealie more noticeable.

Edited by EagleI
Version 4.03 is available on the Yahoo site, v4.02 is available on the Magellan site.

Version 4.05 is also available on the Yahoo site, but after reading the posts on Yahoo, I would not recommend it. I have downloaded and installed v4.03 on 2 different MeriGreens, and it works fine.

Curious...

Why would it not be available on Magellan's web site first??

I've upgraded my SporTrak Pro to 5.00, and initially was happy with it. But now I'm starting to get annoyed, and might go back to 4.06. Quite often, when turning the unit on, the sat screen will suddenly go blank (satelites disappear, the rest is still there, including sat strength readings). At that point, it refuses to get a location fix, and I must re-boot. This will happen about 50% of the time, usually after a day or two of non-use, and when it does, it usually requires 2-3 re-boots to finally work.

And on a side note, the Magellan software engineer that decided to make the backlight come on every time there is an alarm, should be shot, and his body thrown into the woods with no coordinates given!

Speaking of Meridian problems. I had a strange problem occur on my meridian Color. I was searching for a cache right next to an airport barrier fence (LAX), I was looking at the GPS showing my location, then all of a sudden a plane took off and my GPS showed that I was now over the pacific ocean at about 500 mph???!! Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening, or can they explain how it would happen?? I assume it somehow was locked on to the moving aircraft, as the next plane that took off the same thing happened. Very weird.

:)

Up till this point, I too had been happy with the 5.00 on my ST Pro, even with the annoying multiple button pushes required for a go-to and the "backlight" situation. But this "disappearing satelite" issue is really starting to get old. I may try to reload the firmware, hoping it goes away. Otherwise, I'm real close to just going back to 4.06 untill 5.01 is released. I hope Magellan is working on it as we speak, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

As a side note, the other day I was heading home (I'm in Southern California), and suddenly my GPS screen was all dark! I started zooming out, and eventually realized that the dark screen was due to the fact that it was placing me in water! Where? About 200 miles off the coast of Guadalajara!!!! Just a wee bit off! Eventually, it corrected itself, but what a surprise!

I've been using the 4.05 upgrade in my Meridian Yellow and have been very happy with it. Locks on the sats quicker and seems to have a lower EPE most of the time. I think the key to getting good results after an upgrade is to do a total reset. Mine had a problem with the clock running about 2 minutes slow after upgrading and a full reset solved the problem.

Give 4.05 a try, I think you'll be happy with it.

A couple notes - Per an ealier posters comment, the firmware releases on Magellans website generally constitute major firmware releases with added features - always added feature on those upgrades.

Separately, Magellan has minor firmware updates that are not posted. They are sometimes eMailed or offered on Firmware update CDs to fix specific problems.

-Skramblr