.loc Vs. .qpx

ATLPup

Hi there

Another newbie question:

geocaching.com has all these caches I can download, but they are all .loc files. When I download them to my PDA, there are virtually no info in them.

I was reading and found that this is inherent in .loc files and that I need to get a .qpx file.

Ok.. so where do I get these files?

While I'm at it, what is an Ebook?

Thanks

Paul

Welcome to geocaching!

GPX files contain all the information found on the cache page (except for maps), up to the last five log entries. However, they are only available through pocket queries, which is a feature for premium members. A membership costs $3 per month or $30 per year.

Most of us start off by just printing out the cache page and either manually inputting waypoints or downloading a .loc file to our GPS. You can upgrade to premium membership later on if you find that you like geocaching (you will)!

An eBook is one way of reading the pocket query files. Many, many users prefer other methods, using the GPX files. For those like yourself who use a PDA, one very popular method is to use the GPX Spinner and Plucker software to get the GPX files onto their PDA. Search for threads containing those terms or just browse the GPX units and Software forum, or ask more questions here.

This page talks about the various software out there for managing the data in a user friendly way. I use EasyGPS--it's free and user friendly. Many people like Clayjar's software too, but I haven't tried it yet. This "Getting Started" forum is a good place to ask basic questions. The GPS Units and software forum is also a good resource for software specific questions. Now get out there and find some caches! :P

I am new also but this is what I have found out so far. GPS units can not use .loc files. If you have a GPS unit that is compatible with the program EasyGPS then you can view the .loc files in EasyGPS and then hotsync them to your GPS. My Garmin Ique3600 is not compatible with EasyGPS so I can not transfer info directly to my GPS. EasyGPS is a freebie from this site. You can download it and then be able to view the cache specifications on your PC. I wanted to be able to have the written descriptions along with the cache specifications so I became a premium member. This way you get a .prc file along with the .loc or .gpx files that you can view with Micropocket reader. This is a small program (again a freebie from this site) that when you hot sync (PDA) you can view the info in text format (ebook) on a PDA. .GPX files are very similiar to .loc files but contain more info with them. This info is used by other software applications. As far as EasyGPS goes you get no additional info whether you open a .loc or .gpx file. GPX files take up more harddrive space. Someone else who is more familiar with everything might be able to add some additional things.

Apollo,

I too have an ique 3600- AWESOME>

I have two programs which easily upload the files to your ique and thus you can route/map to it.

One is called cachemate. I think its a trial and then you pay later or until the trial is up... whatever/ This actually runs on your ique

The other is one that someone from another msg board dedicated to the ique wrote. THis one you run on your pc (which converts it to a vcf file) then when you sync, it becomes a waypoint.

The link for that msg board is:

http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/forumdispl...?s=&forumid=108

Lets see the thread for that tool is:

http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=27029

Hope this helps,

Paul