My Gps Unit

wildlifeguy

I have been using the garmin 12xl for work for years. It has done me a great service. I have been using it for geocaching forthe past year and don't seem to have any problems. Having read many of the posts on this page it seems nobody uses this dinosaur anymore. Are the newer units better? Should I break down and purchase a new one and donate my 12xl to a museum. I know the specs very well for this unit. I have also used Trimble scout, Trimble dgps, CMT, and a few other machines but am still satisfied with the use of my old 12xl. Am I the dinosaur? What machines would be a good upgrade without an exorbiant price tag?

Thanks for the help!

Peace! :P

A plain 12 was my first GPSr and it's still a good unit. Having said that there are some things that you'll gain by upgrading. Newer units use two instead of four AA batteries, include elevations with waypoints and tracklogs, and have larger tracklogs. Most new units now have WAAS too but this isn't of much use in the bush as it requires a clear view to the south.

If you're staying with Garmin and don't want a mapping unit then consider the GPS 72 or one of the 76 series. They also use the same power and PC cables as your 12XL so you could save a few bucks.

Apparently the 12xl is still a current model. It is not listed as discontinued.

Looking it over, all I really see missing from newer units is WAAS, electronic compass, and mapping.

If you are not interested in those features, then don't worry about it. Maybe someone else has a better feel for the 12xl's faults and strenths to give some advice.

Hello,

I would suggest to look at the 76 series. The screen on the 72 leaves a lot to be desired, as it is a lot less pixels resolution. The 76 is priced well, and has some good features with an external antenna option and uses your existing power cables. The 76Map is all that with 8mb mapping, and the 76mapS is a lot more memory as well as fluxgate compass and barometer/altimeter but both are a lot more money than the basic 76.

The 12 is discontinued, the 12xl is still available and there is no price reduction on it as of yet so it appears to be in production for a while yet. Not sure if you really want to change to another model yet, would recommend holding on to see what the new 60C and 60CS will do the pricing of the existing lines in the new year.

I do know that the 176C will be offered with a really nice discount around Christmas time, I know that it is not exactly what you were asking about, but they are pretty cool. They are still a handheld, but just barely!

For what it's worth....