Should I Apply The Frisbee Rule?

flashj

All:

I've read about the frisbee rule, and this potential cache meets that requirement, in fact I found the location while playing disc golf. I wrote whom I thought was the right person for permission, but I got no response. Its been a long time now, but I'm still itching to do a cache. I think this is the only thing preventing the cache from being approved.

-Should I give up and try another location?

-Go ahead and put the cache there, can't be more intrusive than all the dog walking, campfire setting, and frisbee throwing already going on there.

-Continue to wait ?

http://www.msffa.org/elthorne.html

What's the local wizdom? ;)

-the flashcat!

Hi Flashcat, as one of the UK reviewers/approvers perhaps I should answer. First of all I apologise but I've never heard of the frisbee rule nor do I know what disc golf is :P

However I've looked at your cache page and it looks fine to me. As you say that there are a number of monuments, how about using them to construct a multi-cache. If this isn't suitable then it's fine as a standalone cache.

My only reservation would be the possible question of it being a "holiday cache". It looks from your profile that you might not be local to the area. If you are then I apologise. If you are from "out of town" you will not be able to place the cache unles you can get a local person to look after it.

I suggest you check out the guidelines mentioned in the first topic in this forum.

Hope this helps, Lactodorum

Well it was a new one on me - so I did a bit of searching and came up with this quote from Criminal:

Use common sense. I use the “Frisbee Rule”. If you want to hide a cache in a local park, ask yourself if you’d request permission to play Frisbee there. If not, hide away. If it’s private property and you would ask permission to play Frisbee there, get permission to hide a geocache too.

Hope that helps things make more sense.

Chris

Thanks to all for the quick replies!

I realize that frisbees, like the frisbee rule, are more common in the states than here. It is exactly as quoted above. :P

I understand the concern over my status. I live and work in London now and will do so for at least the next 5 years, if not permanently. The whole "leave to remain" issue could go against me, but I don't believe it will.

So for at least that long I'll be able to maintain the cache, and I'm introducing some friends to the sport this weekend, who are natives to this isle and will be able to carry on in my stead. Has anyone ever established the average life span of a cache?

I have to admit I've never met anyone else playing Disc Golf there .(www.pdga.com) Even after having email contact with one of the local players. Mostly I go and throw my disks around for an hour or two, then visit the local Harvester for sunday roast. Elthorne does not have a permanent course with targets and tees, its more along the lines of "hit that rock from here in three throws or less." So you sort of need someone to tell you what is a target, and what is a just a dead log. Both hobbies get you out into the open and give you a good walk, so I hope I can be forgiven for digressing.

I'll prepare the cache and log this weekend, and plan on placing it next weekend if all goes well.

cheers,

The Flashcat!