Post Benchmark Find Count Here!

rogbarn

The return of the forums is none too soon!

I am leaving for a few days during the week of Thanskgiving. As some (most?) of you know, I enjoy tracking the count of benchmark finds from the benchmarking front page on a daily basis. Since I will be away from a computer, everyone can help me out by posting the count here. I prefer it at around 7 AM geocaching time, (I usually get it between 6:30 and 7:30) but I'll take whatever I can get. I will be gone from Monday, Nov. 24 thru Tuesday, Dec 2. I will have some access to a computer but it will not be consistent, so go ahead and post!

Just to intice people a bit, I will let everyone know that since we passed the big three milestones, things have been pretty quiet. The big three were:

getting under 700,000 remaining - hit on Aug 17

5% of the total - hit on Aug 22

40,000 found - hit on Sept 23

The next major milestone is to hit 50,000 found. My current estimate for that is Jan 23rd, but with the winter fast approaching, I expect that could slip by a week or two.

Thanks to everyone who helps and who enjoys the stats I post here. ;)

Roger, it's time we get you automated, so we did.

You can get your numbers when you get home from Thanksgiving here:

Roger's Automatic Numbers

The program is running on a remote computer that I don't monitor,

so if it breaks let me know and I'll jump start it for you. Times/dates are

eastern time zone. It will give you a new count every time it changes.

We can also clear the file at the end of every month if you'd like.

Don't eat too much turkey.

I'm back and I'd like to thank BeachBum22 again for setting up the automated number gathering. It worked like a champ!

Somehow, I mis-read my spreadsheet for my estimate for hitting 50,000. On the 18th the estimate was Dec. 23 not Jan. 23. On the 20th (when I made my post), it had already slipped to Dec. 29th. It is now at Jan. 1, 2004. The count does seem to stay steady over the holidays, I guess people have more time off and spend it doing things like looking for little round disks in the ground. So, we may make 50,000 before the end of the year or possibly even on New Years Day. That would be cause for a big celebration!! :D

Roger, it's time we get you automated, so we did.

You can get your numbers when you get home from Thanksgiving here:

Roger's Automatic Numbers

The program is running on a remote computer that I don't monitor, so if it breaks let me know and I'll jump start it for you. Times/dates are eastern time zone. It will give you a new count every time it changes. We can also clear the file at the end of every month if you'd like.

Hey, Beachbum22, it seems to have stopped sometime on Friday. Can you check it please?

Counts are going up very slowly right now. This part of December was the slowest of 2002 and is now officially the slowest of 2003. Once we get past Christmas and people have time and new GPS's to try out, the count starts going up a bit.

Counts are going up very slowly right now.  This part of December was the slowest of 2002 and is now officially the slowest of 2003.  Once we get past Christmas and people have time and new GPS's to try out, the count starts going up a bit.

Well Rogbarn, if you'll forgive the immodesty, I'm doing my part: 38 found (not to mention others logged as unfound or noted) since mid-December. Fortunately, good weather here in the DC area has been an incentive to get out and scare up some benchmarks. And I've got two more days to see what I can manage before the year is up.

Remember, GPS reception improves when the leaves are off the trees; bugs are resting, poison ivy is in remission, and hot coffee or cocoa tastes that much better after you've been faced down Old Man Winter looking for those elusive marks!

Happy benchmarking in the coming year, all! Let our motto be MORE IN '04.

-ArtMan-

Sounds real good to me ArtMan

MORE BMs04

If 400, 1 or Four

You will be better,

when out the door.

To seek and find,

elusive marks.

Before the Spring,

And the Sound of Larks.

When poision Ivy and thorns abound,

from the Tadpoles comes this sound.

YOuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuCH,

I can,t wait to get back to the couch.

Happy 2004 Benchmark Hunters and Everyone Else.