Naked Travel Bugs

Team GPSaxophone

Remember Rudolph, the Naked Monkey with an extra large member? Many people said they would throw it away if they ever found him because it isn't appropriate for kids to come across something like that in a cache.

Do you have kids? Girls? Do they play with Barbies?

I've noticed that Barbies are always naked when they are not being played with. I could go upstairs to my daughter's toybox and pull out at least a dozen Barbies and not find a single one with clothes on. I've read somewhere that if Barbe were a real woman she would have an 18 inch waist and be way too top-heavy to stand upright.

Since Barbie is an acceptable plaything for children, even with the oversized top-end, would it be acceptable to make a Barbie Travel Bug? It would of course be naked because that's the toy's 'natural state'.

Your thoughts?

Our daughter received 7-8 Barbies for her 4th Bday, but had one before that. As far as her figure, they seem to all be different, but I haven't measured or otherwise systematically checked, but ... I get enlisted to help get the clothes on them and the clothes fit differently: some have a bigger torsos and their waist and breast sizes vary.

I just did a TB search for Barbie and the search returned 30. I checked a sample of those and those that had pictures were all clothed, i.e., not in their natural state.

I would think that if someone started a naked Barbie, someone would soon put clothes on her to correct the ... oversight. Barbie has no personality without clothes.

Edited by brad.32
I would think that if someone started a naked Barbie, someone would soon put clothes on her to correct the ... oversight. Barbie has no personality without clothes.

I tend to agree with this statement. There is a Barbie TB out there that has been doing some pretty risque things.

I would imagine that someone would probably clothe Barbie if it were to be sent out nekkid.

Now, I guess comes the bigger question. How do you intend to attach the tag? Drill through her, or use some sort of clipping device?

Well, if I drill through her, that would remind me of a bad movie like 'Body Double' or something. Then again, it might prevent someone from clothing her.

If I pierce her, it would be considered too last year :P

Her head comes off, so I can't make it a necklace (leash?)

If I tie it around her waist (only 2 or 3 links needed for that) someone might cover the tag when they put clothes on her. The next cacher might not realize she is a travel bug.

How is it everyone got worked up about seeing a travel bug with oversized parts, but Barbie is ok? The only difference is that the monkey had oversized genitals and Barbie has oversized breasts.

It isn't oversized "parts" alone. Charlie Brown has a large noggin and that isn't considered offensive.

I'm not going into a big argument that some people just can't seem to let go, but there is a major difference between female breasts and male genitilia. On a scale of social offensiveness, they are many degrees apart.

George

In my earlier post I mentioned size: new Barbies are not (that) out of proportion anymore.

nincehelser had it correctly though. People are not that offended by seeing or talking about breasts but are offended by genitalia. For example, topless beaches are more acceptable than nude ones.

well first off i think barbie is a childs toy with no real lower parts true her top is heavy in the older models but still seeing a nakked barbie isnt offensive to me..its a toy for kids but i do agree if i did see a unclothed barbie as a t/b i would cloth it b-4 i put it back out.and i have never seen or heard of this monkey but i assume it is an adult novelty toy and not intended for kids to see.as WE ALL KNOW caching is a family sport and as such would be inapropriate.i also feel that this is a light fun filled sport.please let it stay that way.. dont start new posts bringing out the worst parts of this sport just to see peps get riled up!!if you want to improve the sport and keep it family oriented if it is questionable dont put it in a cache.there are plenty of sites and places for monkeys with big parts...and i might even laugh at it if i got a picture of it in an email but i sure wouldnt if i was caching with my 6 year old daughter and she found it and asked me what it was so please people think before you place these things.

I thought the monkey idea was pretty funny, but you're right that it is a joke meant for adults. I wouldn't be offended if my kids found him in a cache. They all know what a penis is and that boys and girls are different.

You made another good point that I hadn't thought of when I started this thread. Barbie is a toy that is made for children to play with, the monkey is not.

Although breats are not genitals, in our society they are sexual. Why is it ok to accentuate the sexual part of a toy made for children?

Barbie is not anatomically correct, not even the breasts, which are just bumps really. If Barbies breasts looked more like real breasts you would certainly hear about it from all sides. If Barbies nakedness carreied even a hint of 'member'... well... I don't know what to say. People go caching with their 4 and 5 year olds. They will certainly learn about members, large and otherwise, but I don't think GeoCaches are where that should happen.

Although breats are not genitals, in our society they are sexual. Why is it ok to accentuate the sexual part of a toy made for children?

Female breasts are openly accentuated in our society. It's normal. Women's clothing is often designed to accenutate these particuar features. A women's features are expected to be displayed. It's just the way things are.

Men's clothing, on the other hand, tends to hide his equipment from view.

It all comes down to some classic symbology. Breasts are seen as nuturing...motherhood, peace, and all that. Male genetlia is seen as agressive and warlike. The good side get's played up, and the bad side played down.

Either that, or men are just too self-concious about their size.

George

Busty is a questionable TB in what this society considers family-oriented. Like the monkey, it's a toy for adults.

I was curious about the societal stuff, so I looked up what The Naturist Society had to say. They have a long article, "205 Arguments in Support of Naturism", that has a section "Naturism promotes sexual health" that discusses social modesty and the display of bodies in clothes. The other two sections linked below are relevant to this thread too.

Some observations on the nature of modesty

http://www.naturist.com/resources/205_015.htm

Naturism promotes sexual health

http://www.naturist.com/resources/205_029.htm

Accepted clothing requirements are arbitrary and inconsistent

http://www.naturist.com/resources/205_102.htm

There is no nudity on the linked pages, but there are some pictures on other pages, depending on how far into their pages you look.