User Location Appears To Be Missing

MrPeabody

As a non-US citizen, one of the things I used to do a lot was to read the by-line just below messages to see where the poster was from. This was because posts about things like 'how much does this unit cost' or 'what kind of topo map do you use' will be much different based on your country.

Additionally, some discussions about location (finding the best park, what the local government is like) can have a special significance if someone from your local area posts about it.

Is there a way to put the location of the poster at the bottom of the posts again? Or in the left section with the Avatar? I know you can click on someone's username and see their Geocaching.com profile, but that's pretty clunky.

(I added my location to my .sig, but I don't expect too many people will make the effort to do this.)

Edited by MrPeabody

I miss this too, but miss the expediency of MyPop more, so wasn't going to bring it up...

Thanks Jeremy, you can add my voice to those who will welcome 'locations' back.

Enjoy,

Randy

(Only one suggestion per user please! Heh..)

PS: I also appreciate that these boards accept quotation marks--seems a more professional product overall.

I liked it too. It isn't an "official" feature of these forums, but I could probably figure out how to put it back. I'll look into it.

At the previous re-work of the forums this feature disappeared. As soon as I started adding it to my sig. line, it got fixed. I expect that to happen again. It was a good feature that helped the reader get a fix on where the writer was coming from. I think Jeremy's was the Emerald City. :(

I liked it to. I'm surprised it's not on here automatically as it's almost exactly like the Ikonboard sofware, which has it. It takes the location used when to register and place it there.

Jeremy I can suggest a site to take a look at that uses the Ikonboard software and some of it's hacks. With your knowledge you can figure out how to code it in there..At least give you a shortcut...

I liked it too. It isn't an "official" feature of these forums, but I could probably figure out how to put it back. I'll look into it.

At the previous re-work of the forums this feature disappeared. As soon as I started adding it to my sig. line, it got fixed. I expect that to happen again. It was a good feature that helped the reader get a fix on where the writer was coming from. I think Jeremy's was the Emerald City. <_<

Just thought I'd kick this topic back up to the fore. B)

im going to bet that it shouldnt be that hard to add back into the NEW forums... OR just click on a users profile if you really want to know

Yes, looking at their profile woudl tell you (if its given), at least with it at the end of their post you can tell at a glance (again, if they've given that info up).

At the previous re-work of the forums this feature disappeared. As soon as I started adding it to my sig. line, it got fixed. I expect that to happen again. It was a good feature that helped the reader get a fix on where the writer was coming from. I think Jeremy's was the Emerald City. :lol:

Just thought I'd kick this topic back up to the fore. :(

I see that Jeremy has returned. Let's try this again. :D

Let me guess. All this time, you were workin' on it! :blink:

Seriously, thanks for bringing back this feature. :D:)

I mentioned this in another thread but I'll mention it here too. These new forums have a profile field for location but our integration code isn't currently populating it. It should be something we can add without too much difficulty.

:D Elias

Let me guess. All this time, you were workin' on it! :D

Seriously, thanks for bringing back this feature. :P:blink:

I mentioned this in another thread but I'll mention it here too. These new forums have a profile field for location but our integration code isn't currently populating it. It should be something we can add without too much difficulty.

:) Elias

Heh, Elias and Jeremy need to talk to each other :D

Jeremy already did the location intergration stuff today.

Look under our avatars!

It will populate the field for you if you enter the forums from the main geocaching.com page, or at least click the button to take you to the forums. Don't need to do anything here to get it to work, just make sure you have it filled in on your gc.com profile.

:)