Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cadence

Roll-up Jpole

Made my first roll up Jpole, found it to be incredibly easy - well okay, it would have been easier if I'd bought better 300 ohm Twin-lead. ;)

Yep, in an effort to save money, I purchased the wire from Radio Shack. It's the foam insulated material. If you are thinking of using this material to make your roll-up Jpoles, please sit quietly in the corner until the urge passes.

Get the real stuff, not insulated. You'll be happy. Trust me. The non-insulated material strips away from the wire much easier, like butter comparatively.

I wasted the first 60 inches when trying to cut out the foam away from the leads at the coax connection point. Broke the long side. Learned not to cut the length until I was sure the hard work was complete - You'll only lose about 3 inches of material if you mess up by waiting to cut the final length.

Aside from the wastage, I made a very respectable roll-up Jpole that allowed me to QSO with a gentleman through a local repeater, from inside my living room, with my HT (5 watt TH-F6A) on 2mtrs. He stated that there was a little bit of static, but the audio quality was excellent.

There are many excellent Jpole recipes out there, the one I used was this one: JPole - N6VNG

Hope my experience saves you time.

Todd - K7PKT

Cadence

Made my first roll up Jpole, found it to be incredibly easy - well okay, it would have been easier if I'd bought better 300 ohm Twin-lead. ;)

There are many excellent Jpole recipes out there, the one I used was this one:  JPole - N6VNG

Hope my experience saves you time.

Todd - K7PKT

Cadence

Personally, I have found the cheapest twin-lead to make perfectly servicable J-Poles. I don't use the foam insulated type, and remember reading that it wasn't the best to use.

The really cheap brown twin-lead that they still sell for about $5 for 40 or 50 feet works just great. You don't seem to gain anything by spending more.

I usually get a 10 foot BNC to BNC patch cord, cut it in half and make two J-Pole at the same time.

2 meter band J-Poles are fairly easy, but I have had success with 220 and 440 MHz as well. As the size gets smaller the tolerances do too, so you do have to be pretty careful.

I usually carry a 2 meter J-Pole when I am hiking or geocaching. They almost perform on 440, but not very well.

Dave_W6DPS

Thanks Dave,

Yep, I'd heard that the foam was a pain also, but no one said why - hope my experience helps save someone some grief.

I like the idea of buying the 12' double terminated and making two at a time, thanks, it'll save time terminating coax.

I'm still impressed at how well it works inside my house. I live in a 'dead-zone' for reception on cell-phone, radio and TV, but this Jpole really helps me get out.

Trying to get a group of Amateur Operators together to form a club at work - there are at least 12 of us in the building with a variety of backgrounds and interests. I'm thinking of making a bunch of Jpoles to give away to them - helps spark interest and the idea of trading resources and knowledge.

Vince - nice pic, looks like the whitetail is licking the Rottweilers nose?

Todd - K7PKT

Todd - K7PKT

Todd,

That is exactly what is happening. The dog belongs to my sister. While on a skiing trip with her now husband, they stop to look at some deer when the one in the picture walked over and licked the dog on the nose. He is well behaved, so this did not even phase him. :)

Trying to get a group of Amateur Operators together to form a club at work - there are at least 12 of us in the building with a variety of backgrounds and interests. I'm thinking of making a bunch of Jpoles to give away to them - helps spark interest and the idea of trading resources and knowledge.

Todd - K7PKT

A better idea is to get all the supplies and equipment and invite them all over to have an antenna construction meet. It'll be more fun than building several yourself and giving them out, plus you'll all get to meet, talk, and build together.

Todd - K7PKT

A better idea is to get all the supplies and equipment and invite them all over to have an antenna construction meet. It'll be more fun than building several yourself and giving them out, plus you'll all get to meet, talk, and build together.

I agree. Nothing like a building party to give you a chance to find out who is interested in what. It may really get things rolling.

Then set up a schedule to check out how everyone sounds on the air.

You don't need a formal club to share info and bond with other hams (it certainly can help). Any shared activity will help. Sometimes even just an invitation is enough to get everyone talking. It helps break the ice if you have something to talk about, after you are all done telling what kind of radio, antenna, etc.

Good luck!

Dave_W6DPS