Php Vs Asp

mrcpu

I looked at the forum status page and noticed that the testing of 100 "hits" per second on the forums didn't even make the server sweat. I was wondering if perhaps there were any plans to save money and improve performance by moving the entire site over to L.A.M.P. (Linux Apache, MySQL, PHP/PERL).

Here's a shocker: This site is running Windows 2000 and IIS. Oh no! ;)

If it was an ASP vs PHP argument, I'm all over PHP. But dot net takes it to another level altogether.

Am I poking the Lx monster? But seriously, it isn't the language but how it is written that counts.

Here's a shocker: This site is running Windows 2000 and IIS. Oh no! ;)

If it was an ASP vs PHP argument, I'm all over PHP. But dot net takes it to another level altogether.

Am I poking the Lx monster? But seriously, it isn't the language but how it is written that counts.

That's not that much of a shock. I've used PHP on windows and of all places, Netware! As for the XML processing, .NET probably does this a bit better but I did write code to take GPX files and turn them into LDAP objects and back again.

I know based on benchmarks I've seen that you can get more horsepower out of the same hardware when you run a *nix on it. Plus you get a more secure (as in no monthly service packs!) platform.

Above all of this, there is the cost argument. Your IIS server license alone is a couple of grand, plus the dev tools and I'd hate to know what MS-SQL is costing you!

;)

Just throwin in my $0.02 worth. BTW the forums look awsome!!!!! Maybe this is better because you now have full control over the box and the software.

Cheers,