How Many Cache Alone?

Team BlackZ

Hmmmm......

Today, I cached with Spits, his wife, and son Cspits.

I had a great time. (And it really helped when searching for a micro, in the woods, on the ground, with 6-10 inches of freshly fallen leaves, and the coordinates are 20+ feet off.)

I may try group caching more often.

Edited by DustyJacket

Today I cached alone. I used to think that you find more alone, but it seems that it depends on the quality of your team.

With Rabid Bunny and Mr. 0 reading maps and GPS-s (me driving), we made quick work of loads of caches in just a couple hours. I can hold that rate by myself too, but usually the others I go with are not as geeked about it.

Having hit 100 today, I'd say that 60 were alone. 10, I met someone on the trail who was caching. That leaves 30 to be found with friends and fellow cachers (the same folks). Roughly

Personally, I usually have a reason to cache. I've b een under extreme stress for about three years. Geocaching became an outlet. It's been great for that. It's not so great to be stressed while with people looking for a cache, however... :)

I do go alone because I have yet to find a caching buddy. I tried to go with my dog Gizzy but he was a real pain in out in the woods (didn't like it, kept jumping on my leg to get me to pick him up)

Problem - I have caching alone is I am over 70 and worry about being hurt in the woods SO - my solution IS - I go where my cell phone works! When it wont pick up a signal I call off the hunt. Had to do that a few times, darn it!

I usually cache alone but I do have some friends that like to come along depending on the type of cache. Some if it involves biking, others like waterfall caches, others like caves.

I like to check out caches before I take my 3 year old and her dog, this gets me out to them twice and since there are not that many in this area it's a good thing. :)

Caching by my lonesome for me is a way to get away from people. Getting lost in my thoughts in the quiet of the woods is quite rarely found in the type of work that I do, and caching is a good excuse to get away by myself. I have taken my golden retriever, Jasmin, a couple of times, but she doesn't quite get the concept, and I've done one event cache.

Caching by my lonesome for me is a way to get away from people. Getting lost in my thoughts in the quiet of the woods is quite rarely found in the type of work that I do, and caching is a good excuse to get away by myself. I have taken my golden retriever, Jasmin, a couple of times, but she doesn't quite get the concept, and I've done one event cache.

Just a comment regarding a post that stated that they cache alone in urban settings so as not to draw attention.

after caching alone in a park in Steubenville OH. I popped out of the woods onto a city street and was immediately "requested" to hand over my money by two young gentlemen. fortunately I had fallen down a few muddy hills and looked like I'd been on the road for awhile and they decided not to press the issue!

I feel much safer in the boonies than on many city streets!

My children always go with me. Becuase I work retail I have alot of oportunites to cache alone. In central Florida we have venomous snakes, wild pigs, and feral dogs year round. Being alone and having something happen doesn't sound to good. I've always liked the idea of solo caching even though it isn't recomended. After seeing all of you solo guys I think I'll bite the bullet and start soloing myself. thanks for the ego boost!

I cache alone, yeah,

with nobody else

I cache alone, yeah,

with nobody else

You know when I cache alone,

I prefer to be by myself

OK, apologizes to George Thorogood........

With two children under the age of two, it's hard for the family to go Geocaching, plus the wife really doesn't care for it that much. She has helped me put a couple out though.

If we're on a road trip I'll try and get a couple a virtuals but sometimes it's hard to get to a regular cache. So about 95% of mine have been solo and 5% while the family waits in the car.

E

;) I guess about half of my finds were alone. I rather have someone with me but my kids are grown, the youngest has gone a few times, and my wife has a part time internet business and I can not drag her away from her computer. She did go with me on six of my finds only because we were on vacation and she did not have her computer. I think it better if people go together or as a group, since a lot are hidden close to parks and playgrounds. Oh well, just my opinion. Jeff24

I sometimes go caching with a co-worker during our lunch breaks... don't know how long that is going to last since we are almost found all the caches in the area :ph34r: . We have had much more success as a team.

As for solo-finds... I find that I have to spend more time getting bearings as I get into the cache area. Multiple GPSes working in concert is pretty good and extra eyes helps out as well.

What's weird is that I started caching as a way to get away from everything and everyone and get out on my own. That was February of 2002 and it was June before I had ever gone caching on my own. That first solo cache required climbing a pine tree and all I could think was, "So, this is how I will die?"

I'd say now I probably go on my own 80% of the time. I do enjoy getting out with my daughter, brother-in-law, or others, but I really do value the time I can spend alone (isn't that a line from a Little River Band song?).

Bret

I've only been out caching about half a dozen times, and only once with someone else. I enjoy it either way, I guess. I took my brother and his 4 y/o son with me one warm fall afternoon and had a great time, but we always have fun, no matter what we're doing together. Incidently, in my profile, I mentioned hiding my name, address, and phone number in a film cannister in the Colorado Rockies back in 1985. I was with my brother when I did that. Not a cache that I could easily maintain, but still a great challenge for diehard cachers. We hiked up to a 14,500 foot peak, and neatly wedged it between two boulders, about 45 miles south of Pike's Peak along Gold Camp Road. One day, I will return and mark it, if only for my own satisfaction, with a GPS.

Sparky

I wonder how safe it is for women geocachers to be out on their own. I know of one lady who goes everywhere on her own and she doent seem to care about it. Some areas that she goes can be quite lonely. Am I being over protective?

Sounds like a very secure lady. I know somebody else like that- :ph34r:

Seriously, though, I am frequently asked why I go hunting, geocaching alone, and my reply is, I'm never alone. Always have Jesus Christ watching over me. That's all I need.

Why is it that noone ever questions the guys who go do outdoor activities alone?

I mainly cache with my wife on the weekends but we both will hunt solo depending on who is closest to cache location if one pops up during the week.

Caches that require overnight stay or walks over twenty kilometres I tend to do solo if we have both been to the area before. We both do the 5 terrain caches whether it’s underwater or abseiling down a waterfall. We enjoy them all.

Why is it that noone ever questions the guys who go do outdoor activities alone?

Our significant others certainly do! My wife and caching partner has a real talent for this sport--she's a tireless hiker and has X-ray vision for cache finding. But she's not a climber. When I do a difficult cache alone she tries to pair me up with somebody/anybody, presumably to keep me out of trouble. Problem with these proposed partners is that I'd have to carry them back from the mountaintop :rolleyes:

We're going to an event cache this weekend, and I'll be assessing the available talent carefully for ad hoc partners. If I have to take somebody in order to keep the peace, they're gonna have to be able to keep up.

When you are 78, not too many people want to go as early as I go or as slow as I go. I have 400 finds and just this past few months have been going caching with Bruce, Ajetpilot, a retired Navy pilot and American Airlines Captain. It has been enjoyable and more efficient. Not unusual for me to make three tries to find a cache. Having grown up on a farm with no brothers or sisters and the neighbors a mile or so away, I usually have hobbies that don't fit into the lives of my friends.

Dick, W7WT

I don't so much question my husband going to do outdoor activities alone, but I DO worry about his safety! I've been the one to pick him up after particularly brutal Mtn Bike rides and been REALLY glad that stick that sliced up his face just under his jaw bone wasn't a little lower... or this that and the other thing. I do encourage him to get up a little earlier on his weekends to meet with a GROUP of riders because, as new as he is to his sport, there is definitely safety in numbers!

We're going to an event cache this weekend, and I'll be assessing the available talent carefully for ad hoc partners.

Wahoo!

I have ONE parther (outside of my family) whom I like to cache with. He's quick and not afraid to do much of anything. [deletia] .

Good luck at the event... we're having one in a couple of months and I'm really looking forward to meeting some other people around here!

-=-

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

well so far I have done 100% alone but I have just started this and only looked for 4 and found 1. I have been trying to hit some near my work at lunch and usualy run out of time and have to get back to the office.

I plan to take my 11year old on the weekends and hopefully my wife and 3 year old. There are a few I plan to hit near our house that will be easy so they can get a feel for it. I'm having fun with it. I hope they do and in our travels camping we will have this to do in new places.

95% of the time I cache alone. But......I am also unemployed as a previous poster mentioned. Sigh! I have a couple of "geobuddies" but they are not as enthusiastic about the sport as I. They do not log their finds or keep a journal as I do. I would like to find a fellow geocacher with a real interest and enthusiasm to go out hunting with. Preferably a female not afraid to booniestomp on hunts. Females "see" differently than males and I learn from them.

Dang, Eswau beat me to the George Thorogood song parody!

I cache alone! (with nobody else) I like it that way. Nobody will spot the cache before I do and ruin it for me. My wife came along once and found the cache before I did, what a bummer. I didn't think about telling her, "If you find it, don't tell me where it is!" So, she yelled out, "here it is, over here!!" she doesn't really like caching anyway, but humors me. :(

I am at 140+ finds and about 100 of them are solo--the rest are with family/friends. I just completed a marathon 27-find cache-fest in St Louis--was in town on business ,went a day early, rented a car, drove 200+ miles cross-crossong the area. Started at 7am and finished at 11:30pm. Had a great day!

I don't mind caching with others but my caching partners (kids/wife) are not as into the activity. The kids like it, and would go on more, but they can't do all of the caches I would like to--their ages are 9 and 6.

My wife has expressed concerns about me caching alone, especially in the mountains where we live. I'm glad she didn't see me skulking around in closed county parks at 11:00pm over the weekend!

Alone or with others--it is al good!

OzGuff

I've gone alone a few times, at night even.

I just did my first night solo, last night in tough terrain.

Was dusk when I arrived, definatly dark when I was comming back out.

I REALLY like the spooky side of following your track you used to come in to get back to the enterance. You must be careful, it even crossed my mind that a twisted ancle or knee etc... could leave you really stuck. I used a head lamp to light my way when the trail was eccencially no existant, but, keep it off once on a good trail. ;)

What I don't like about going with others is getting them to be inconspicuous and take it seriously. If I'm alone and there are people about near the cache, then I make the call to call it off or play for time, etc.... If someone else is there, I then have to communicate that to someone else. It's just a pain.

Edited by SamLowrey

When I first started out I had a small team called Team GargoMak...

GargoMak... thus why I spelled geocaching GeoCaching...

then when the team broke up I went out with my dad (a muggle with the heart of a cacher).

I then met up with moose-is-loose in South Jersey and spent a day with him.

I have also cached with a friend and his family in the Willow Grove, PA area.

However... most of my caches were found alone.