How Many Cache Alone?

Team BlackZ

Quite a mixed crowd! Well, my own caching is mixed too. Been out only five times with four finds, and a partial so far on a multi cach. My bride went with me on tht one - so - looks like I cache alone about 80% of the time. It's a lot more safe than Wal-Mart! :huh:

For all us loners - leave a copy of your cache page at home for someone to find.

I rarely cache alone, but if I do, I make sure someone knows where I'm going to be, when I'm due back, etc. We also hike more than we geocache. Recently, on the Southern California Geocachers Web Site forums, we had a similar discussion thread. Well, being an ex-USAF pilot and at times a long distance ocean boater, I have often used FAA Flight Plans and USCG Float Plans. These have nice forms to fill out - just so you don't forget what could prove to be a critical piece of data. So - where's the Geocaching Plan (GeoPlan)? None found - so I made one! It is based liberally on the US Coast Guard Float Plan (thanks Coasties!). You can downoad one here in .pdf format and print it up GeoPlan Form

Suggestions for improvements welcome. If anyone wants to personalize or regionalize it, I would be happy to email your the editable original (which is in MS Word 2000 html format). Just email me with a real email address, so I can attach it (attachments can't go back to you through geocaching.com). Ditto if you have a problem with the download from SCG.

Solo cachers - please consider using it, especially if going "off-road" any significant distance. On SCG, we tossed around a more formal system, but I think we concluded it isn't feasible. Just fill out the form, and leave it with someone responsible, and / or consider leaving a copy on your car windshield / seat for the locals. Enjoy!

I just bought my Garmin Legend this morning. My husband is leaving next week. The Air Force is sending him to Korea and no family members can go with him. I figured geocaching would be a great hobby to get me out of the house while he is gone. Plus I can use my new digital camera and send him pictures of my finds. <_<

Unfortunately, none of my friends are nearly as geeky as I am. :wacko: I am hoping to get a friend or two to go with me though. Maybe they will get interested and want to start doing it together on the weekends. But if not, I can go alone. This hobby seems like a lot of fun for everyone...groups or loners. :lol:

Imajika: Once you start caching and share some experiences with friends you may find they want to join you. Friends that I have taken have started caching on their own as well. A couple got a GPSsp for X-Mass also and will be joining our ranks. Others have asked me to call them whenever I am going after the deep woods ones so that they may join me too. I guess that is because I am more enthusiastic about that type of cache.

I really think this is a topic that is much more of a concern to women than men. Forgive me if I'm really off-base, but I would think a man's concern with caching alone would be more about feeling conspicuous versus a women's concern of actual safety and feeling like a vulnerable target. Obviously, it is an opportunity to take along friends and family, but I look at it as an opportunity to make friends as well. Can you imagine getting a call from someone you have met, hearing about this wonderful hobby she is involved with, and finding out that she thinks you are the adventurous, fun type that would enjoy accompanying her on her next adventure? What a great way to meet a kindred spirit! How about organizing a ladies "Coffee Cache" to get to meet some fellow female geocachers in your area? I hope to try this idea as well. Good luck :unsure: