"unlisted" Cache Recommendations

jim&lin

Before placing our cache we checked for any other nearby caches. We found none within 5 miles, so we headed out to the location we had been thinking about. To our surprise, at the location we found another cache (Called: Curious George). We made our log entry at the cache and swapped Wheres George dollar bills. We thought that someone had just left this cache and had not posted it yet. (We were the first log entry and apparently FTF).

Well, its been a week now and no posting of this cache. There was no indication of the owner in the logbook, just www.geocaching.com written on the cover. Turns out the dollar has not been reported on wheresgeorge.com for over a year. Do we post this cache and become responsible for it, or what? :)

I suspect that it is owned by someone.

First, email your local admin. The cache may just be held up for some reason.

If you admin doesn't know whats up, email some of the locals to see if they know anything about it. A good way to do this might be to check a nearby established cache. Send your email to all finders and the owner of this cache. I can't think of a reason that someone would place a cache without finding a nearby one.

If this doesn't turn up anything, post your cache on-line. If no one collects this box after a short while. 'Trash out'.

While it is curious that there is no owner information in or on the cache, don't assume gc.com is the only place to list a cache. Yes, I understand it says geocaching.com on it, but what if it's a recycled cache container?

There are privately listed caches out there. Removing one could cost you a bit of trouble. A private lister could get irrate at you for removing his cache and, in turn, "trash out" every one of your caches, present and future.

CR

As I read the original post, GC.com was written on the cover of the new logbook.

It is likely that this is a vacation cache. If so, the admin has either denied the cache or the placer has not yet returned home and attempted to list it.

I agree that feelings may be hurt by either adopting it or removing it. This is why I suggested first emailing the admin and local cachers, and also waiting for a time before removing it. Certainly, it should not be allowed to remain in the woods forever as geolitter.

Edited by sbell111

Oh, I misread where geocaching.com was written.

You're right about contacting an approver. They should be able to search on coordinates and see even archived and pending caches. (I think.)

Another thing, it's been my experience most WG$ are placed by the person who first logged it. That might be a lead. Something to try anyway.

CR

We both well know there has been recent discussions around caches that were placed on vacation. Some fall throught the cracks, others are discovered while viewing a cacher's profile.

(You know what's funny? The example I was just about to cite has been logged even though an approver had said something to the effect, "I hope you are still in a position to retrieve the cache." The cache had been placed while on vacation and I had read that probably about a month ago or so when another cache popped up in my area. But now the approver's note is gone and someone had taken the TB that was in the cache with no mention of disposal of the cache.)

Back to the topic at hand. We all know that vacation caches don't/shouldn't get approved. I'd have to say a good portion of those caches are placed, then submitted. Now, we have a cache just sitting there. That whole concept is flawed.

...and yes, as it stands right now, gc.com being the dominating force in cache listings, not approving a placed cache is a problem. Especially with the policy of not acknowledging the other listing sites. If someone doesn't know to not place a cache within there own range, then how are they to know about the other sites?

Yes, I would say it's a problem.

CR

If this is a cache that was submitted to gc.com, then it illustrates a serious flaw in simply archiving caches that have been placed.

CR

One unknown cache does NOT a problem make.

If someone will send me the coords I will be happy to look into it and report back

co_app@yahoo.com

Who knows how many there MAY BE??? ;)

The "Discovered" cache is at N 41 deg 21.502 min, W 87 deg 56.811 min. in woods near Wilton Center, Illinois.

Logbook has www.geocaching.com and the name "Curious George".

Last entry for the dollar bill was in Blue Island, Illinois about 25 miles away. We tried to contact that last person making the wheresgeorge entry, but no e-mail response yet.

We will submit this information to the Illinois Administrator.

I looked at the cache page. This is a cache that was archived by the owner after several people searched for it and couldn't find it. The owner then went out to the site and couldn't find his own cache, so he archived it! The published coordinates on the cache page were N 41° 21.499 W 087° 56.815 ... a lil' bit off but not too much. Puzzling.

There are caches that are placed and not approved, or caches archived and never retrieved.

The caches sit there until someone is willing or able to look, find, and retrieve the cache.

I have looked for a few of these caches without luck, and didn't even know about them until recently. Contact your local approver, and I bet (s)he has a list of archived and/or non-approved caches that need retrieved.

Ed

ROFLMAO!

The owner couldn't find his own cache! Too funny!

Thanks for the laugh!

You can have another one. I lost one of our first caches because one part of the hedge looked like another part. It was eventually a fluke 'prod' from Mrs Cuthbert's stick that gave the giveaway 'clunk' as it struck the ammo box.

Third outing and lucky. The cache has now been moved to avoid future embarrassment. ;)

Andy