My Micro Containers ....

CYBret

micros.jpg

A friend who works in the nursery at a hospital was able to get these for me. They're free sample bottles for Similac (baby formula). She even managed to wash them out for me! How nice is that? :)

The lid has a metal ring with a rubber seal on the bottom. Very air/water tight.

So far they've passed the cat test - my cats won't have a thing to do with them and I've had a couple of them out already with no animal related incidents. So, hopefully there isn't any food related residue in the containers.

The labels are weather resistant laser jet labels. I've used them on a couple caches already...one's been out there for about a year with no problems of peeling off. The containers also

So what do you think?

Bret

Edited by CYBret
Very cool. Do the full size containers have the same type of lid?

No idea...we were always too cheap...bought the kids the powdered kind. :)

If I remember right the big containers were always metal cans that you punctured....yeah..that seems right.

How did you make the cutout logo on the lid?

Same as the others, just trimmed them in a circle. The actual lable sheets are 5.5x8.5 (2 per page).

Bret

Edited by CYBret

I use the match stick container found at Walmart - $0.86 each. They come in olive-drab or hunter-orange.

Paint works wonders. Also, the diameter is slightly larger than 1" so a 1" drill and some shoving will make a nice concealed fit in other things....

And they have an o-ring seal. My first cache is in a swamp, and it ahs stayed dry even when submerged!

Edited by SuperAlpha
Something I've thought of using for micro caching is medication bottles. They come in many different sizes, some are very large!

This picture doesn't do justice to the cache, but check this out

pillbottles.JPG

There are a bunch of caches around Indiana hidden in these by The Winningham Boys. Most of them are hidden around the covered bridges of Indiana.

The pill bottles are HUGE. they've drilled holes through the bottoms and bolted two of them together. You open one end and find a mini logbook, pencil and sharpener. You open the other end and find the trade items.

It's a pretty cool idea and they seem to fit just about anywhere. Still..it makes you wonder what kind of medication those Winningham Boys are on! ;)

Bret (using the "blink" emoticon appropriately)

A friend who works in the nursery at a hospital was able to get these for me. They're free sample bottles for Similac (baby formula). She even managed to wash them out for me! How nice is that? ;)

Bret, that's a great idea! Makes me wish I had saved a few bottles myself...

Thanks for the tip! ;)

pillbottles.JPG

The pill bottles are HUGE. they've drilled holes through the bottoms and bolted two of them together. You open one end and find a mini logbook, pencil and sharpener. You open the other end and find the trade items.

Since the picture doesn't quite do it justice...

Just how big of a pill bottle are we talking about here? And what kind of a lid are they using? It doesn't look like the standard child-proof cap or non-child-proof/I'm an old fogey cap standardly found on these sorts of things.

-=-

michelle

FYI: for super-micro o-ring sealed containers, CVS Pharmacy "GIVES AWAY (ie: FREE!)" their CVS-branded plastic keyring pillbox. I needed "one" and the guy gave me 6! So I use the rest for caches!

There are better stainless-steel ones for a couple of bucks out there too.

Edited by SuperAlpha
What did he use to cut them out?

er.... scissors?

Just be sure not to run with them. :)

Yup, that'd be it...scissors.

Well...I couldn't find the scissors, actually. In our house the only phrase used more than "Who has the scissors?" is "Where are the band-aids?!?" But yeah, scissors would work.

Bret

pillbottles.JPG

The pill bottles are HUGE.  they've drilled holes through the bottoms and bolted two of them together.  You open one end and find a mini logbook, pencil and sharpener.  You open the other end and find the trade items.

Since the picture doesn't quite do it justice...

Just how big of a pill bottle are we talking about here? And what kind of a lid are they using? It doesn't look like the standard child-proof cap or non-child-proof/I'm an old fogey cap standardly found on these sorts of things.

-=-

michelle

Just guessing, but as I recall the pill bottles are about 6 inches long (making the whole container a foot long). They're the push down and twist kind of child-proof tops. From what I can tell they seem pretty water-proof too. I've found them in some nasty weather and they've all been pretty dry.

Bret

Going through the digital picture disks this morning and I found pictures of another micro container I've got. I picked this up at Ron Jon's Surf Shop at Koko Beach last January. They are available on the Ron Jon website, too.

ronjon1.jpg

ronjon2.jpg

It's thin, black, has a nice rubber seal and clamp down latch. It also is the perfect thickness for one of those little composition style memo pads (string binding) I did have to cut it down on height and width.

So far I've had some great reactions from people who found it at this cache. Someone even found a critter sleeping under it :(

Bret