The National Park Service Did The Right Thing By

vonbluvens

I've come to realize trolls serve a useful purpose in multiple ways, the most important being that this thread becomes part of the archive that the press, land owners/managers, newbies and other non-caching-aware entities will find when searching for more information.

This is why I believe reasonable responses are warranted--far more people lurk (read without posting) and formulate their opinions from such.

Enjoy,

Randy

The only time you should remove a cache is when the land-owner/manager SPECIFICALLY gives you permission - you are then acting as as agent of the owner/manager.  The cache should be given to the landowner/manager, not thrown out.  If it is on 'their' land, they should be the ones to chuck it or return it, as they see fit.

And as a courtesy, asking the cache to be archived would be nice, as well as giving the cache-placer notice.  Although in that, too, I'd inform the land manager and provide them with the email address of the cache-placer, as well as the cache page itself so they can contact Geocaching.com admins...  if they give you the go-ahead, then it was their call to do so.

Who knows, maybe the cache's DO have specific permission that you are unaware of?

First off I think a warning and a request to archive the cache are essential and the only courteous thing to do. Removing a cache without doing both would be a dis-service to everyone involved.

I can also see getting the land managers specific instructions to remove the cache. That makes a lot of sense. I can also see leaving the geocache with the land manager - assuming he or she wants it.

Does this make sense to everyone else?

-------

The above is copy of a previous post I did, I screwed up when I quoted it and don't know how to fix it so I just had to copy and paste it.

Hi everyone. Thanks for taking the time to think about this issue. I don't expect you all to agree with me but you may have noticed that I agreed with New England previously.

Does anyone think New England's take on this is wrong? Forget about disagreeing with me. What do you think about New England's view on this?

And to the kind person who is 97% sure that I am the same person who started this thread, let me assure you that I am not. I appreciate your generosity in coming up with an alternative explaination and it is mostly right. I have been waiting to get on the forum for a bit to raise this issue. When I signed in for the first time after the forums came back up this thread was on the top and it caught my eye. Since the tread was already active, I thought it appropriate to ask my questions here.

And by the way, I too later looked up the meaning of the original poster's name and it is dispicable. (To save everyone else the trouble, it has strong racist meanings and the fact that the guys even knows this word gives me the creeps. I don't want to share a forum with someone like that - now you don't have to read what I and other have.)

I guess you can still suspect that he and I are the same person. If you really think I am then ask the site managers to check mine and the original poster's IP address. I have posted here from two different locations but it would be the most amazing co-incidence if the original poster had the same IP. To the administrator, if anyone asks, please provide this info - not my location but just if the IPs are the same or indeed are from the same part of the world.

I don't want to go around in circles on this issue and, unless you want to, there is no need to insult me. How about you debate New England's suggestion? Of course, if you really want, I'd be happy to respond to every post that asks me a specific question but I get the sense that I am just making people angry and I don't see it getting better by responding. I'd much rather stick to the issue but again, if you really see the need, ask and I'll respond.

Les.

Les.

Edited by lessenergy
I don't want to go around in circles on this issue and, unless you want to, there is no need to insult me. How about you debate New England's suggestion? Of course, if you really want, I'd be happy to respond to every post that asks me a specific question but I get the sense that I am just making people angry and I don't see it getting better by responding. I'd much rather stick to the issue but again, if you really see the need, ask and I'll respond.

After 3 pages I no longer see the need

Edited by CO Admin