New Forums Discussion

Team GPSaxophone

First off, I'm very happy that the new forums are here. It has been a long 9 days without them. Please use this thread to discuss the new software.

I like the 'next oldest topic' and 'next newest topic' links better than the old 'next' and 'previous'. it makes more sense this way.

I'm not sure about the new smilies yet. What is this :) guy supposed to be? The L33T letters spell fear (ph34r) so I guess he's supposed to be scared.

I'm not sure about the new smilies yet. What is this :D guy supposed to be? The L33T letters spell fear (ph34r) so I guess he's supposed to be scared.

Thanks for the nice comments. We're not sure about the new smileys either. I think that particular one is supposed to be a ninja.

:) Elias

OK, I've explored and everything's pretty nice. The one biggy is missing MyPop..

• Subscribing to topics doesn't replace it as that simply lists selective topics (which then brings you to old and new threads).
  • 'View New Posts[/b]' doesn't cut it, as that shows posts in ALL topics.

I've explored the search page, but can't seem to find a way to get a URL that provides a listing of threads w/new posts in the forum areas I'm interested in like MyPop provided.

Has anyone figured out a way yet? It certainly cuts way down on the time spent as old info isn't transmitted...

Enjoy,

Randy

If your 'warn' meter percentage goes up, it means that the admins are monitoring your posts with more scrutiny. Some people :D (not ME! :D) can get carried away and make comments others don't like. Those people will be warned and the admins will watch their posts. If your warn meter gets too high, your posts will be moderated meaning an admin will have to approve it before it is posted.

The 'blocks' are an indication of how many posts you have made. Even though the number is listed, some people like the graphical display. The more blocks you have, the less people will listen to what you have to say :)

I mean, the more blocks you have, the more posts you have made.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
Speaking of post counts, I seem to have lost a few posts. I was at 1900 just before the old forums crashed, now I'm down to 1888 (including this one).

You're still the Number 1 poster today and the Number 11 poster of all time. I just thought I ought to post something in the new forums.

If your 'warn' meter percentage goes up, it means that the admins are monitoring your posts with more scrutiny. Some people :sad: (not ME! :P) can get carried away and make comments others don't like. Those people will be warned and the admins will watch their posts. If your warn meter gets too high, your posts will be moderated meaning an admin will have to approve it before it is posted.

The 'blocks' are an indication of how many posts you have made. Even though the number is listed, some people like the graphical display. The more blocks you have, the less people will listen to what you have to say :)

Like anyone listened to you anyway!! :D

Don't make me go :) on you!! :D;)

Oh yeah, I am going to like this new forum! :bad:

Speaking of post counts, I seem to have lost a few posts. I was at 1900 just before the old forums crashed, now I'm down to 1888 (including this one).

You're still the Number 1 poster today and the Number 11 poster of all time. I just thought I ought to post something in the new forums.

I just found the link. Click on 'My Assistant' at the top. A new window will open with options for viewing:

· The moderating team

· Today's active topics

· Today's top 10 posters

· Overall top 10 posters

· My last 10 posts

Cool new feature!

I just found the link. Click on 'My Assistant' at the top. A new window will open with options for viewing:

· The moderating team

· Today's active topics

· Today's top 10 posters

· Overall top 10 posters

· My last 10 posts

Cool new feature!

I found the link on the forums main page. The My Assistant link don't work for me.

does the "Mini Profile" work? If so how do I edit it?

No. It's one of the areas I haven't addressed yet. It should link back to a Geocaching.com style profile since user information is really maintained there. Not sure what (stats!) we should (stats!) put there though (STATS).

Looks like one block per 250 posts, up to 1000. right?

What was that other part? Im talking too much and should start another account?? :D

I can't seem to find an option for a "daily digest" for a subscription. From the help section: "Please note that to avoid multiple emails being sent to your email address, you will only get one e-mail for each topic you are subscribed to until the next time you visit the board."

It seems as if it will let me know the thread has new a post(s), but won't bring them to me?

I'm particularly interested in one forum, and prefer to receive it in digest form, rather than subscribing to each individual thread. Is this no longer possible?

Thanks in advance!

One more thing I just noticed....there's no "grace period" for edits before the "message was edited" tag gets slapped on? Guess I need to take advantage of the new "preview" option. ;)

Edited by gnbrotz

One minor irritation is the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the IE browser window (Not sure how other browsers are working here). It takes up a bit of screen real estate, and is not needed. ;) Even when I resize the window, the scroll bar is still there in the same proportions with that same little bit of wiggle. I'm sure that it can be removed somehow.

I think poll votes were counted as part of your post count in the previous forums.

Does that mean only I can see the Warn thing? I was afraid that I was the only one who had one. (It is 0)

InkyCat

yep, you and the moderators. Nobody else will know if you've been warned.

One minor irritation is the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the IE browser window (Not sure how other browsers are working here). It takes up a bit of screen real estate, and is not needed. ;) Even when I resize the window, the scroll bar is still there in the same proportions with that same little bit of wiggle. I'm sure that it can be removed somehow.

Hmm, I don't have that problem but then again I keep my screen res at 1600x1200. If you changed your screen resolution that would take care of it for ya or closed your favorites window if its open.

The sites I've worked on I've placed a best if viewed at xxxxxXxxxxx at the bottom for that reason of the scroll bar.

First, I'd like to go on record and say that my conspiracy theory about how TPTB were purposefully slowing down the forums to put a damper on the arguing apparently didn't Pan out. Maybe there was no second shooter on the grassy knowl.

Second, I was going to post this to the topic in which I actually made that accusation... but I don't know how to find that topic. And I can't remember which one it is. On the old forums (may they rest in peace) you could click on your name and view your recent posts.

Am I missing the manner in which I would do that in the new forums?

Edited by Pantalaimon

Great Job on the new forums ! ! ;);)

I am sure that you will hear the following a lot in the next few days:

"...but in the old forums, you can do this, but not here !!"

So I say this with all due respect, and not as a complaint but a question.

In the old forums you can track an individual user, and get a email for every post that he makes. So for instance if Joe_Cacher made a post, regardless of where it was I would get a email notifying me of the post. Is the a similar function in the new software.

also

For every board that I was watching I could get a email for every post. Here you only get one email for a new post (there could be one or more posts, but you still get one email). I found this feature helpful, because I could read the posts while I was off line. Is there a similar functionality here?

Thanks for your great work and assistance.

I like these new forums, and as a top-ten poster, I should know!

Seriously, they're very intuitive--at least for the fifteen minutes I've been here.

(Wow, "Check Post Length"!) How useful is that!?

And I like the ability to preview my posts. Often if I make a post with a picture, quote, or list, I'd like to make sure sure it's formatted correctly before it goes public.

Jamie

[edit]

Oh.. and I'm glad the posting screen is not a java applet anymore.

Edited by Jamie Z

Hey, um... how do we get back to GC.com from the forums?

Jamie

[edit]

Forgive me for learning as I go... I figured out how to get back to GC.com... right below the Groundspeak logo there is a non-underlined link.

But now I have a new question: When I click on others' names in the forums, I get their geocaching profile. When I click on my own name, I get some sort of edit screen. Is there a way to see my profile from the forums?

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

· The moderating team

· Today's active topics

· Today's top 10 posters

· Overall top 10 posters

· My last 10 posts

Cool new feature!

Looks like I have some posting to go before I make it in that list. If I keep up my current rate, I might make the top fifty, but the top ten is out of my league, unless....... :P Yeah. Right.