Lost Signals

naffita

We're back in business again :)

So, I have just bought a new cachemobile after my old one was severely bent. :D But my GPS can't get a signal when I put it on the dash. My old car was a citroen and I could wedge my GPS upright so that I could see it and follow the arrow easily, my new car is a renault and the only place there is a good enough signal is by the side windows. Not at all ideal for me to see, and no way to hold it and follow the arrow. Now, does anyone know why I don't get a signal, and more importantly how can I sort it?

Some cars have a metalised layer in the windscreen which prevents the reception of radio signals. You will probably need to obtain an external antenna which will bring a signal inside your car. There are as far as I know two types, one which will connect directly to your GPSr if you have an external antenna socket. The second type which is like two antennae connected back to back which basically retransmits the signal inside your car is most suitable for GPS receivers that that dont have an external connection.

Some cars have a metalised layer in the windscreen

I've also experienced rubbish reception on the dashboard of many modern Peugeots...which my employers use as pool cars, so I get to drive them quite a bit...just when a working GPS would be useful, too! On the dashboard of my Nissan I have no trouble.

As Adrianjohn suggested, the answer is an external antenna. Even on eBay they're a bit expensive, although if you're handy with a soldering iron there are several sets of plans on the web for making your own.

Have fun

Paul

So, I have just bought a new cachemobile after my old one was severely bent. :P But my GPS can't get a signal when I put it on the dash.

As others have said, it's a problem with the windscreen. A lot of cars these days have rapid demisting front windscreens, and this is acheived by a network of closely spaced fine wire i nthe windscreen, like the rear one, but finer and closer together. Look very closely at the windscreen and you'll probably see it.

This mesh of metal is really very effective at blocking signals in the GPS range (among others), hence why you only get a decent signal at the side windows.

It's gonna have to be an external aerial, or if you don;t have an external aerial connection on yer GPS, it'll have to be a re-radiating aerial.

Not ideal....you could always get a different car :D

But my GPS can't get a signal when I put it on the dash. My old car was a citroen and I could wedge my GPS upright so that I could see it and follow the arrow easily, my new car is a renault and the only place there is a good enough signal is by the side windows.

In most cars with this type of windscreen there is a 'hole' somewhere in the metal film where you can get GPS reception. That is where the manufacturers put their own antenna or receiver.

You might want to ask the dealer if such a hole exists and where you can find it.

Sometimes it is behind the rearview mirror, sometimes you can find it at the bottom right hand side.

Lisa said:
You want to go back to a Citroen - we get good reception in our Saxo.

Seems a bit drastic. I do enjoy caching but another new car is a bit OTT. :)

Heh - maybe. Glad this thread came up as we're thinking of replacing our car next year - it will be worth us bearing this problem in mind when choosing a car.

Lisa

One thing you have not mentioned is the type of GPSr you use.

Some units will accept an external antenna directly, and others require a re-radiating antenna like the one suggested by Hornet.

I used to have a Garmin GPS 38 which did not work too well in my old Peugeot 405. With the help of a colleague, I built a re-rad antenna for the component cost of about 75p (plus the antenna of course!).

With regard to more modern Peugeot's, I had a 605 hire car over last Christmas, and did a series of tests under the windscreen. Basically, what Peugeot do now is fit anti-glare windscreens, which have a very thin metal fiilm in them to reduce glare from sunlight. With at least seven SV's visible whilst holding the GPSr outside the vehicle, not one could be picked up whilst on the dashboard. The re-rad antenna I built was very useful for use with my more up to date Etrex Vista!

Although this is a blatent plug (and I understand if a moderator wants to remove this link), check out our homepage if you want to purchase an antenna of your own!

Click here for the website.

Bob

Something like this or this should sort out your problem.

I have one of the first type: the only thing to be aware of for BOTH of the ones you list is that they have a very limited range... the first one is about a foot, the second is probably less. I have my re-radiating antenna on the front side glass of my Peugeot 806, which is right next to my iQue holder. Whilst I don't have a problem with my windscreen, I get a MUCH better signal (and from all directions, rather than mainly to the front)

The short range or the re-raditaing antenna is NOT a problem at all if you just have the one GPSr device, but it's probably not going to be useful if you regularly have passengers with their own GPSr's.

There are other re-radiating units around (ok, probably cost more too!) that give out a lot more signal, and cover the whole of the car interior.... might be something you feel is more useful.

Paul