Can We Have Our Graphics Back, Please?

Sissy-n-CR

The new forums look great Jeremy and thanks for keeping them clean and uncluttered.

Thanks, Navdog, for supporting not allowing people the option of seeing other's graphic signatures.

I guess that is the way it's always going to be. There will be the "elite" and then there will be the "others."

I asked politely. There is no reason to not go back as this software answers all of the publicly given reasons the graphics were removed.

Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

CR

Thanks, Navdog, for supporting not allowing people the option of seeing other's graphic signatures.

I guess that is the way it's always going to be.  There will be the "elite" and then there will be the "others."

I asked politely.  There is no reason to not go back as this software answers all of the publicly given reasons the graphics were removed.

Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

CR

It was certainly a reasonable request.

I guess the window dressing has changed but not much else.

Well, I must say, I stand corrected.

The forums are much better without all of your avatars and other images, even without your signatures. Besides, who cares about your pithy sayings, non-advertising advertisements, or "oh-so-cool" avatars?

Yep! All gone! Thanks, Jeremy!

CR

I feel the images are annoying and I don't miss them. I don't care either way though.

I'll tell you what is even more annoying is the "font" "size" and "color" options. I won't cry if those leave too and wonder when there is going to be a several page thread with only Largest/colored text as all of the replies.

I'm not quite sure what the beef is, but I'm not surprised at the length of time it took, for there to be complaints. Sigh...... ;) The avatars are there, the sig lines are there, what else were you looking for? Those annoying little dancing things, or the HUGE pictures at the end of some people's posts? Don't miss 'em! IMHO, if you want people to see that stuff, create your own website. You can still be creative with your avatars and sig lines. Some will never be happy. I am, though! Great job guys! ;)

...... ;)  The avatars are there, the sig lines are there, what else were you looking for? Those annoying little dancing things, or the HUGE pictures at the end of some people's posts? Don't miss 'em! IMHO...

I happen to like those 'dancing things'. Haven't seen one smilie bashing another in a while... starting to think they all get along, and thats not believable! All the different cacher group/club buttons were also very nice! Sure, some of the big puzzle sigs were annoying, but the was the minority of the signatures.

;)

Edited by welch
... create your own website.

Wow, that was original. Never heard that one before. But don't worry, it's in the works.

I didn't have a dancing image, nor was it large. It didn't advertise another wedsite or tell people my stats. It was my stamp image they we use to log every cache box we've ever found. It was our personal signature.

...and it was there for a long time. We were happy with it and then someone made the decision to change policy with reasons that quite a few of us still suspect as being bogus.

This has been talked to death. Nothing has changed except for the fact that the stated reasons are no longer valid and the policy still stands.

Have a bandwidth problem? Turn off sigs, avatars and all images.

Don't like huge signatures? Turn off the signatures!

Problem solved!

The problem that was not solved is the fact that there are other sites out there that might take traffic away from Jeremy's site. But wait! Wasn't geocaching.com started as a non-commercial venture? "There is no business here."

Many suspect that is the real reason there are no more graphic signatures. Just like mentioning competing websites get your posts stacked in a que for further review. (Of course, they might not have implemented it just yet with new forums.)

CR

This has been talked to death. Nothing has changed except for the fact that the stated reasons are no longer valid and the policy still stands.

Yeah, but know what? It's their website to do that with. They're not obligated to justify anything, We (and yes I pay as well) pay a small amount for this service, and if we don't like how it's run, we are free to go elsewhere. We are also free to express our opinions, which is all we're doing, and thank goodness we're allowed to do that still! I saw all that bottom stuff as superfluous and time consuming, and I didn't really pay attention to it, and the way I see it, is if you've seen it once, that's good! Done talkin! ;)

I feel the images are annoying and I don't miss them. I don't care either way though.

I'll tell you what is even more annoying is the "font" "size" and "color" options. I won't cry if those leave too and wonder when there is going to be a several page thread with only Largest/colored text as all of the replies.

WHAT???

That is, if you're only looking at the stated reasons for the change.

We're obviously not, then, eh? There. Now that's been stated. Can we go home now?

This message posted with Birthday Privilege #7: "The birthday person is entitled to one painfully obvious, somewhat brash, comment on whatever forums said birthday person so chooses."

Even though I came too late to have seen the forums prior to the new version, I can see why the graphic sigs were eliminated. We have a website (Technical in nature) that has moderated email discussion lists. We own it, pay the bills and take the grief. That's the way it is. Any small fees charged to users is meant to just keep the whole thing out of the toilet. We run the show!

I have been to many wannabe geocaching sites, and in my opinion this site (Geocaching.com / Grounspeak) catches those others with their pants down. How long will they survive by being parasites? Not long. They'll have to have some pretty deep pockets and start making their own administrative decisions that piss people off. My hat goes off to Geocaching.com for taking the high road and being a leader. Thanks for the professionalism shown here. Keep up the good work and don't look behind to see who's following.......there's just a big cloud of dust back there.

Happy to have the forums!

Tiwica

I feel the images are annoying and I don't miss them.  I don't care either way though.

I'll tell you what is even more annoying is the "font" "size" and "color" options.  I won't cry if those leave too and wonder when there is going to be a several page thread with only Largest/colored text as all of the replies.

Ahh, I didn't realize that the "images in sigs" function was removed deliberately. I just made a post in the Midwest forum and manually added my dancing geobanana to the message before I posted. :)

But yeah - I find huge pink fonts much more annoying than a random image here and there. I use Yahoo Messenger, and the first thing I did was turn off the "show other users fonts and colors" or whatever that setting is. When I read a forum, it is nice to have everything look fairly standard. Big fonts and bright colors make me feel like I'm back in an AOL chatroom or something. :)

I have to wonder if there were certain users and/or images that brought this decision into being. I can't personally remember anything that was too offensive other than doot buckets and guns pointing at me. :) I'll be sure to keep my banana out of future postings, though. :)

Those annoying little dancing things  ...  Don't miss 'em! IMHO, if you want people to see that stuff, create your own website.

Hey, I resemble that comment. :)

Actually, I heard nothing but good things about my geobanana.

GO TO WWW.RUBBERTOE.COM TO VIEW MY STUFF PLS, KTHNX! ( See, I did create my own website. )

Just let me add, these new forums do look really nice... quite a shock to someone that hasn't visited in a few months, though. Quite professional looking. I don't mind the sig images being gone either, I was just surprised when the gif in my sig didn't automagically appear when I posted, that's all. :)