MEMORIAL AT THE ORIGINAL GEOCACHE SITE

Convey our thanks to the owners of the land for letting Jeff establish the memorial plaque. It is nice of them.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Greetings!

Hey, I have a 20MB mpeg video file of the creation of the first geocache. The video runs 1.5 minutes and shows the stash contents.

Can someone show me a place on the net where I can upload this file and link it to the memorial plaque stash page?

Dave...

Dave Ulmer - Inventor of Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Ulmer:

Greetings!

Hey, I have a 20MB mpeg video file of the creation of the first geocache. The video runs 1.5 minutes and shows the stash contents.

Can someone show me a place on the net where I can upload this file and link it to the memorial plaque stash page?

Dave...

icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Ulmer:

Greetings!

Dave...

Dave,

Email me through gc.com or through pdxgeocaching.com. There's a chance we can put it up there.

"Where shall the world be found, where will the word resound? Not here, there is not enough silence." - T.S. Eliot

pdx32.gif

The video that Dave made back in 2000, is up and available for viewing. Read about it here. As I mentioned in the Portland forum, I'm not sure what a file of this size will do to my bandwidth allowances. For now it's up.

It is rather cool in a surreal sort of way.

"Where shall the world be found, where will the word resound? Not here, there is not enough silence." - T.S. Eliot

pdx32.gif

quote:
Something's very fishy or someone was confused. In the movie, the stash note clearly shows the date as 04-03-2000. SA being turned off didn't happen until May. So either the stash note or plaque is wrong. I want a full investigation

In my email's with Dave, he was wondering if people would notice his mistake. He says in must have had April on his mind still.

quote:
So now that it's placed, who has the cojones to submit it as a virtual?

It's already an approved cache with a logbook. No need to make it a virtual.

pdx32.gif

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

Here are some links, some may be useful:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=15 Seems Dave moved all of his coordinates when he "quit" but I beleive this is the correct cache (ID is 15, I think that's as far back as has a page - not that is matters because I think the order of the caches got all scrambled up during a site transfer at one point)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=29aa860e-48f1-47ec-9efe-6af679f8ff61

I agree that this may be a little early, it's not like a 3 year old 'hobby/sport/game' has a need for a shrine like Cooperstown - but I don't see how this can hurt.

If you're going to put a plaque there with the owners permission - why not permanantly afix an ammo box to the post holding up the plaque with a logbook? Just an idea, might not be feasable.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

Now you have given me a strange desire to go to Wyoming to look for ammo cans with goodies in them. I can't sleep, I make ammo cans out of my mashed potatoes at dinner and then try to track them. I have tried to make travel bugs out of my roaches. WHAT EVER SHALL I DO?