MEMORIAL AT THE ORIGINAL GEOCACHE SITE

I managed to find a couple of pics of the Original Stash and infamous can of beans when I located it back in Sept 2000. Sorry for the low quality images.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/19186_200.jpg

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/19186_300.jpg

Note the 3-4 gallons of water in the 5 gal bucket. The second shot is how it looked when I found it - prior to removing the lid which was only partially covering the bucket.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

[This message was edited by makaio on August 05, 2003 at 09:12 AM.]

First of all, a very big "Thank-You!" to the generous cachers who have been sending in PayPal donations for the Plaque. We have until Friday, August 8th to make any changes on the proof that we submitted to the foundry. After that, we will be no longer be taking PayPal donations, as the Plaque will have to be paid for then. We have to submit it this week, so the foundry has time for photoetching and casting, and be able to finish it for placing at the end of this month. We would like to once again thank everyone who has helped out, by donating through PayPal or by pledging to help at the site.

Greetings,

Just thought I would chime in here about this plaque thing...

Great Idea! I had been thinking about that too before I moved away from there.

Only thing I can think of is to make it a ground level so the roadside mowers won't hit it.

BTW: The picture in this thread is correct and the stash was behind the tree stump.

Also it is OK with me if you use my name or not use my name.

Dave Ulmer

Nice to hear from you again, Dave. I'd planned on visiting the site to place a stake where your cache had been so those planning on placing the plaque will know the precise spot to place it. I plan to do it this weekend, but if you're closer and want to do it, let me know. If I do visit the site, I'll probably go take a walk back to the Billy Graham tree also. I love that place.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

[This message was edited by makaio on August 06, 2003 at 09:52 AM.]

Team360 - I just returned from visiting the site. I placed a wooden stake in the indentation in the ground behind the cluster of stumps. There was/is also a ziplock baggie with a can of beans (not the original can) placed by someone who had logged the Un-Original and found the Original spot.

The flora (lots of ferns) has grown quite a bit since my last visit and it took me a few minutes to find the hole, even though I knew where it was. The stake has a a blue and white For Sale signe on it. It was leftover from a home for sale in our neighborhood and I left the blue and white sign on it to make it easier for you to locate it, even though you may need to brush away the ferns even to see the sign.

The spot is literally only 10 feet from the edge of the gravel toward the uphill end of the gravel area. Standing in the road looking across the gravel area you will see trees to your right and left with a treeless area between. The spot is just left of the treeless area, along the flat area between the gravel and where the hill starts. This should get you close enough to find it amongst the ferns. Hopefully, the stake/sign will still be there when you arrive (should be as it's semi hidden). Either way, once you find the stump clump, you'll see the hole just behind it.

While there I signed the logbook in Un-Original. Be sure to log it while you're there.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

quote:
There was/is also a ziplock baggie with a can of beans (not the original can) placed by someone who had logged the Un-Original and found the Original spot.

That would be me on June 24. I couldn't help myself. Also, I wanted to see how long it would take for someone to find it. icon_smile.gif

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth,

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..."

Thanks Dave Ulmer for giving my family something to enjoy.

And a big thank you to Jeremy Irish for taking this sport in a positive direction and making it grow into something my family can enjoy.

None of this would be possible without both of your contributions

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

I'm so glad to see this is going to happen! Hubby and I will be on a driving trip through Oregon in mid September. Any chance the plaque will be there? I wonder if I could prevail on someone for a bit of help. I have the general area of the cache, but wonder, could someone let me know how much of a trek/how long it would take to get to it? My hubby is not a cacher you see. It was tough to get him to agree to detour to it. If it's going to take an hour to get to it, I'm going to be out of luck. So...any handy hints would be greatly appreciated! I REALLY want to make the pilgrimage. I promise to leave something good icon_smile.gif

"You are cleared for geocaching."

To Groundclutter and all others. The side trip to this cache is relatively easy, especially if you have street maps in your gps. We travel between Norhtern California and Seattle frequently and have made this side trip more than once. Non cachers will enjoy rural Oregon.

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

So what's the word on this?

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

The word is: the Plaque will be finished this week! The monument date is Sunday, September 7th! I will be at the site early that morning with the Industrial Strength Quick-Setting Cement, and should have it in place in no time at all. Of course, I will be spending quite a bit of time at the site that morning. I wonder who is gonna get first find on this Virt as soon as I get it in place?

Sorry I won't be in the area anytime soon to come see this.

I was lucky enough however to to find an Oregon Geocoin left by an Oregon cacher out here a few days ago. On the back of it is the Oregon state with a GC1 flag posted near the area where the original cache was.

Makes me feel like I'm in touch with my roots.....

Some have graceland, some have mecca. We have the side of a gravel road in Oregon.... How did we get to be the better off?

I will be making the trip <400 miles+> to see this

I work on the 7th or I would be there. I'll be loosing a TB soon and the first part of it's mission will be to have it's picture taken at the birth place.

Jerrimy! can you give this virt the waypoint id that the original had?

Pat Patterson

Garmin 12XL

82CJ7 & 79F250

Herd of Turtles 4x4 club

From the cache page just submitted today:

THIS WILL BE ACTIVE ON SEPTEMBER 7, 2003. This is where it all began. On May 3, 2000, a five-gallon bucket was placed at this very spot by Dave Ulmer, containing Delorme Topo USA software, videos, books, food, money and a slingshot. The coordinates were then listed on the Internet, and modern-day Geocaching was born.

We recognize the importance of this singular event and dedicate this ORIGINAL STASH TRIBUTE PLAQUE on behalf of geocachers everywhere. Keeping with tradition, there is a logbook to sign at this site.

Thanks go to Lance Christensen and the Port Blakely Tree Farms, whose land this is located on. Without their cooperation, this would not have been possible. Please continue to show respect to their property while visiting.

Many thanks also go out to the geocachers who have contributed to make this monument a reality: Junglehair, DapperDanMan, Moun10Bike, -=GEO=-, Mzee & Associates, Bitbrain, Team DaSH, Ajetpilot, RJFerret, Badmojoe, GrizzlyJohn, Cacheola Crew, Geospotter, Yumitori, Dalenis, Rothstafari, CacheUsOut, Team GPSaxophone, and Spzzmoose.

Thanks also to Jeremy Irish and the entire crew at Groundspeak for their support of this effort and their dedication to this sport.

See you on the trail.

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

quote:
Originally posted by TBismine:

How about the contents of the time capsule for it? Maybe you should start a poll for the contents or suggestions.

A can of beans would seem to be a necessity...

I think you will find a can of beans that I placed in the hole back in June. I wish I could be there for the installation. I'll be there soon after to log the cache!

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth,

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..."

Is there any chance that we could have some media covering this event?

"Good evening, I'm Dan Rather reporting from N 45° 17.460 W 122° 24.800 . Tonights top story....Geocaching".

or

"I'm Chris Matthews and you're watching HARDBALL!!! Tonight's topic...Where did geocaching begin".

Okay, maybe not. But it would be kinda cool to get someone to come out and write something about it.

Scoobie

Livin' & Dyin' in 3/4 Time

quote:
Originally posted by scoobie10:

Is there any chance that we could have some media covering this event?

"Good evening, I'm Dan Rather reporting from N 45° 17.460 W 122° 24.800 . Tonights top story....Geocaching".

or

"I'm Chris Matthews and you're watching _HARDBALL!!!_ Tonight's topic...Where did geocaching begin".

Okay, maybe not. But it would be kinda cool to get someone to come out and write something about it.

Scoobie

Livin' & Dyin' in 3/4 Time

If Criminal shows up there will be your coverage... He's a published writer now! icon_wink.gif

I'm surprised nobody logged a note on the site already, just to be the first one on the page. Any guesses as who's going to be first to log it?

----------------------------------------------------------------

What's the Frequency, Jeremy?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Damm this thread was so buried when I joined that I never saw it. I would have sent some $$ via pay pal had I seen it but since it is long past I guess I will just add my thoughts, which I know you all cannot wait to hear. I think its a great idea, and the log book is mandatory for those who make the trip to see the orginal site. I kinda like the second site though a six pack would be my perfect cache find, I'd sit and drink it then make my log entry. In exchange I probably leave a McToy or a 6" switchblade knife.

I see your lips moving but all I hear is blah blah blah

Ooooh I just saw the plaque tonight. It looks good. Wait until the rest of you see it.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898