MEMORIAL AT THE ORIGINAL GEOCACHE SITE

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

please define baseball

"Yet another boring sport, this one is so bad that they actually set aside time for the fans to get off their buns and stretch so the don't fall asleep during the last 2 innings."

icon_wink.gif

As I said anyone who wants to contribute will be a co-owner of the plaque and will receive a Certificate with their team name on it naming them as such, along with photos of their Certificates at the Tribute Site. If enough contributions are sent in, we may get a good enough reply for a bigger plaque, with the geocaching insignia, extra text, etc....

So far:

(GEOCACHING LOGO)

ORIGINAL SITE

THE FIRST GEOCACHE WAS

PLACED HERE ON MAY 3, 2000

N 45 17 460 W 122 24 800

Any other ideas? Input? Criticism? Criminal? icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on July 30, 2003 at 06:02 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

So far:

ORIGINAL SITE

THE FIRST GEOCACHE WAS

PLACED HERE ON MAY 3, 2000

N 45 17 460 W 122 24 800

Any other ideas?

Just a small one - rather than "Original Site," how about "Original Stash?" That might have some problematic connotations to those unfamiliar with geocaching, but the original widely-used named for geocaching was "The GPS Stash Hunt", and the first one was always referred to as the "Original Stash."

icon_geocachingwa.gif

1. Stash. or: Site of the Original Stash.

2. Isn't there a logo that's public domain? Not the official geocaching.com log but another one... I can't find a link to it but I'm sure somebody can markwell it

and

3. I agree that some sort of container for an actual log should be included. I like the idea of an ammo can sunk in the concrete. There are likely other ways to get the same effect yet be replacable. (IN case it was vandalized but I doubt it would be - unless He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named disapproves)

I somehow think it'd have been ironic if 50 years from now the State Dept of Archives (or whatever they call it up there) had erected a Historical Marker - and the admins turned the virtual down icon_biggrin.gif

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

I received your e-mail 360 and I'd be glad to help out. I think I'll wait to send cash until you actually have the approval of the property owner and Jeremy's stamp of approval. I think it's a cool idea...just wanna make sure the "powers that be" approve!

How about a bottom line on the plaque that lists all donors that made this plaque possible? I know this adds to the expense but if everyone tosses in a Jackson, we might be able to pull it off! Make it a SMALL font size to cut down on costs and post on the cache page to bring a magnifying glass to read the screen names (no e-mail add's). icon_biggrin.gif Make a set amount to get your screen name on the plaque.

I think having my name on something besides my tombstone would be cool, especially if I probably will never see that site in my lifetime. If this is not fiscally possible (or for others reasons), doesn't matter to me. I'll still help out! icon_smile.gif

Good idea...bad idea??? Whadda think? icon_confused.gif

my $.02...

Given the initial name of the first geocache was "Original Stash", I'd say use the name as it was first posted prior to the term "geocaching" came about. Later, when this site came up, it was changed to simply "Original" and known as the Original cache.

I used Un-Original when I placed the memorial cache for obvious reasons. Still searching for those pics of the original cache and can of beans...

-----

Matt

K7MTO

Ok, then how about if we change the line from "ORIGINAL SITE" to "ORIGINAL STASH"?

If it's a no-go on the Geocaching logo, we will go with the compass idea mentioned above, that seems fitting enough.

I considered names of the donors on the plaque, I just don't know if that would be economically feasible, but if everyone wants it, so be it.

quote:

Ok, then how about if we change the line from "ORIGINAL SITE" to "ORIGINAL STASH"?

If it's a no-go on the Geocaching logo, we will go with the compass idea mentioned above, that seems fitting enough.

I considered names of the donors on the plaque, I just don't know if that would be economically feasible, but if everyone wants it, so be it.

If not...maybe on the cache page??? icon_confused.gif

Original Stash seems to be fitting. Are you not including the stashers name? (apologies if I missed this part) Donors names would be cool, but I think it might end up being a really big plaque! I wouldn't want to take anything away from the original stashers name. The certificates are a nice touch. I'd be happy with that. Maybe you could list donors names in a post to this site. Why not include both the geocaching logo, and a compass rose. It would give the uninformed passerby a tiny clue that it has something to do with bearings. icon_smile.gif

"You are cleared for geocaching."

quote:
Originally posted by civrot:

I think this is a great idea. I also think that the plaque should say "Original Stash".

Out of curiosity, why is it a no go on the geocaching logo.

Just waiting on approval from Jeremy to use the logo.

"ORIGINAL STASH" it is, then. And sponsors names will be on the cache page.

I think this is a great idea - I just wish I lived closer so that I could visit the spot.

Team 360 if you send me your address, I will gladly contribute. I agree that the sponsor names should not be on the plaque itself.

Good luck with this!

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

There are lots of Pay Pal haters out there. Personally I have used Pay Pal for 4 years on over 500 transactions and never had a problem with them. Once somebody did use a stolen credit card to pay for something and I was able to call them up and resolve it. I did loose the money but I have also lost over $5,000 using my normal credit card processing merchant account because of credit card fraud.

Most of the people that hate Pay Pal were burned by somebody using a stolen credit card and they lost money. They think it is the restorability of Pay Pal because they 'accepted' the use of the stolen credit card. Anybody who has their own merchant account to process credit cards knows that the company/person who is accepting a credit card takes the risk of accepting any credit card. Merchant Accounts/Pay Pal provides tools to help prevent credit card fraud (AVS verification, etc.) but it is your responsibility if you accept a credit card and it is stolen.

www.paypalsucks.com and www.paypalwarning.com are totally one sided (along with all the other -------sucks.com websites) and do not give a realistic picture.

BTW I don't think anybody donating money to use for the plaque are going to use stolen credit cards. You will find out that more people will donate money if there is an easy to do it online and Pay Pal is one of them.

quote:

Sorry guys, no Pay Pal account, not after reading THIS online:

1. Their customer service is horrible. They hide their telephone number, (intentionally - by their own admission) and only provide support via "form" emails:

As for the customer service, Sollitto said they intentionally make the phone number very difficult to find in order to save costs."

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but I'm curious how this would be approved as a cache once it's there. Since there will be a cache within 30' that has been there since 2000.

http://www.sprecher.us/smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

No problem. I already wrote to Jeremy, and he has indicated that once I obtained landowner permission, he would be willing to approve the cache, taking into account that this is the spot where this all started.

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

PayPal haters?

Original Stash haters?

Reality TV haters?

Can't we all just get along?

http://www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru/images/stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -http://www.theheavenlyhost.com/geocache

Well, it's two out of three for me. Dislike paypal and reality TV. Indifferent towards the plaque.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by DapperDanMan:

BTW I don't think anybody donating money to use for the plaque are going to use stolen credit cards. You will find out that more people will donate money if there is an easy to do it online and Pay Pal is one of them.

I understand, but it's not like I am hoping to raise a thousand dollars. icon_smile.gif (What a plaque we could get then!) I just wanted to offer a chance for anyone who wants to get in on it. I have had about 6 or 7 geocachers write to me already, and we have worked together to make it happen. Actually, some have preferred to NOT use PayPal, so the old fashioned way is better for them.

EDIT: we set up a PayPal account for those of you who want to use it. team360wwg@yahoo.com is our email address to use. Thank you.

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on July 31, 2003 at 10:03 AM.]

quote:
Indifferent towards the plaque.

Ah, yes, but you'll come out and see it when we get it done, won't ya? Please? icon_frown.gif Awww, come on....

By the way, I am planning on giving out an America West Aircheck Plus to the most generous sponsor of the plaque, the Aircheck is good for:

$25 off a ticket priced between $98-$198

$50 off a ticket priced between $199-$298

$75 off a ticket priced between $299-$398

$100 off a ticket priced over $399 or more

Not too bad at all, considering most airplane tix are over $200.

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on July 31, 2003 at 09:44 AM.]

quote:

I understand, but it's not like I am hoping to raise a thousand dollars. icon_smile.gif

I've received thousands via PayPal successfully. It was started by a bank after all, and was regulated as such. Now eBay owns it--which significantly affects it's brand image.

If you do setup to receive paypal donations, I will be contributing, but not otherwise.

On an aside, when I was receiving payments via PayPal, some folks asked if I'd take a check, not understanding that could more easily be done via PayPal.

I also believe their "hiding" the number is necessary given they offer a FREE service!

Free usually doesn't come with much tech support!! (Yes, I know they pass on the costs of credit card transactions, which makes sense...)

You could also setup the account to NOT accept credit cards, thereby negating that issue/cost.

BTW: I never gave them my checking account number so eliminated such risks (I know some folks setup a separate account just for PayPal use, but that's more work than I needed).

Just FYI from my experience,

Randy

PS: "Stash" = good, names on the webpage but NOT on the plaque (could you imagine a mispelling!?!!) Simplify!

Alright, we went and set up a PayPal account using our team360wwg@yahoo.com as our email address. The Plaque donation line is now open.

We are keeping our fingers crossed.

"ORIGINAL STASH" it is, and names will not be on the plaque, but will appear on the website.

Thank you.

Team 360.

By the way, I am planning on giving out an America West Aircheck Plus to the most generous sponsor of the plaque, the Aircheck is good for:

$25 off a ticket priced between $98-$198

$50 off a ticket priced between $199-$298

$75 off a ticket priced between $299-$398

$100 off a ticket priced over $399 or more

Not too bad at all, considering most airplane tix are over $200.

We are open and honest about this whole thing, and will keep receipts. We will send out copies of receipts to anyone who wants them. Any unused money will be returned to the donors.

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on July 31, 2003 at 10:08 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

360, remind me when you're in Albuquerque next week and I'll make a donation.

You got it. I will see you at the finish line at 2 p.m. at the Great Albuquerque Cache Hunt on the 9th of August! Looking forward to meeting some NM cachers!

With our impending move from Portland to Phoenix, I'm too strapped to donate cash. Being one of the few who actually visited/saw the Original bucket and can of beans, I've told Team360 I will donate my time either showing or marking the precise spot where the Original Stash once rested so they'll know where to place the plaque.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

It is absolutely true Wienerdog. I threw my body prostrate on the geo-holy ground and cried over and over; "we’re not worthy, we’re not worthy". Have the photos to prove it but not sure how to get HTML or photos into these posts.

I think a plaque is a great idea and have committed to a cash contribution. Hope this works out and hope others contribute enough to get the logo on the plaque. I also would go back there again to see the exact spot.

If you build it...

It is absolutely true Wienerdog. I threw my body prostrate on the geo-holy ground and cried over and over; "we’re not worthy, we’re not worthy". Have the photos to prove it but not sure how to get HTML or photos into these posts.

I think a plaque is a great idea and have committed to a cash contribution. Hope this works out and hope others contribute enough to get the logo on the plaque. I also would go back there again to see the monument. Not sure why this didn't post earlier - hope it doesn't post twice.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

To stay consistant with the website, instead of having the date on the plaque it should just say that it was placed 39 months ago.

LMAO

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Dave who? icon_wink.gif I thought he lived in Beaver?

The last time I spoke with him (just after he removed all his caches) he said he wasn't against caching, he just didn't want to participate anymore as he had other projects going on. He said he removed his caches since some were plundered and he didn't have time to maintain them.

I'm sure he has no opinion one way or the other about the plaque.

-----

Matt

K7MTO