MEMORIAL AT THE ORIGINAL GEOCACHE SITE

Well, with all this talk about the Original Cache, I am going to let the cat out of the bag and ask for your help. I contacted the Clackamas County Surveyors Office a while back and had them do some research for me. During the past few weeks I have been working in conjunction with the land owners of the property where the first Geocache was placed. I am getting closer to getting an approval from them to place a bronze memorial plaque at the site (already ordered). After I get everything approved, I will be traveling up to the site to do this. The plan is to fill the depression with cement and sink this plaque securely into it. Jeremy has indicated to me that he will more than likely approve this virtual if I can get landowner permission. A few days ago, Spoondog was out at the "Un-Original" cache and ran into the person I have made this request to, and he tells me that Spoondog made a good impression of geocaching to him. (Thanks, Spoondog!) What I need next are the EXACT coordinates for the hole where the First Geocache was, along with a description of where it is (how far from the Un-Original, which direction, etc). Can anyone help me on this? Please post here or contact me at my email address, TEAM360WWG@YAHOO.COM

Let's make this happen and get a permanent memorial at the site!

EDIT: I HAVE TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE PLAQUE I HAVE ON ORDER IS NOT THE FINAL DESIGN. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOME INPUT FROM THE GEOCACHING COMMUNITY AS TO THE WORDING OF THE PLAQUE AS I HAVE NOT YET FINALIZED THE DESIGN. YOUR IDEAS ARE NEEDED AND WELCOMED.

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on July 28, 2003 at 06:50 PM.]

The coordinates for Dave's Original Stash were N 45° 17.459, W 122° 24.800. Here is a photo of me at the site taken on April 20th of last year:

020420_010.jpg

It's a little hard to tell in the photo, but the depression from the old 5-gallon bucket was still visible at that time. It is barely visible as a dark patch below the fern frond touching my left knee, just a foot or two behind that clump of small stumps in front of me. Apparently, when the cache was hidden, those stumps were a bush that was later cleared by an Oregon DOT crew, which resulted in accidental discovery and removal of the cache.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

That is a really great idea. I'll have to visit the cache once everything is in place and it's all approved. It's only about 280-300 miles from home too. Good excuse for a road trip. Hope everything goes well in the whole process.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

If you want good advice on how to make the plaque in the first place, just email me. I used to work in a place in Portland that made those things via metal etching. You can guarantee that the plaque will never pop out of where-ever it is mounted by asking for bolts to be welded on the back.

You can also have the plaque made in an unusual and cool metal, such as shiny stainless steel if you wish, with the type in black.

All they need is a design made to size in black and white... black for wherever the image is to be recessed into the metal. You can go with a reverse effect with the image as raised metal and the background as recessed. There are lots of choices for design.

Prepare for sticker shock, because they CHARGE, but they do quality work, and for something that is to last forever, there ya go. icon_smile.gif

From my admittedly limited experience on the concrete side, I suggest being extra EXTRA picky about how the plaque is mounted. Maybe building a small concrete mold in advance. Pour the concrete into the mold. Embed the plaque in the concrete. Take it to the site, carefully embed this concrete plug into the concrete poured into the hole in the ground. Have a nice, removable collar around the hole to keep it looking neat as it solidifies. This ensures that the mounting is quality-looking to begin with - thus you have more quality control.

Hold solemn dedication ceremony, perhaps, too. icon_smile.gif

Any questions anyone has about metal etching of images and text into bronze, stainless steel, and other metals, I'm here for ya. I know what can make the plaque work and to look good, and am happy to help if need be. icon_smile.gif

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

[This message was edited by Sparrowhawk on July 28, 2003 at 06:15 PM.]

[This message was edited by Sparrowhawk on July 28, 2003 at 06:16 PM.]

Here are some links, some may be useful:

"Original Stash" Seems Dave moved all of his coordinates when he "quit" but I beleive this is the correct cache (ID is 15, I think that's as far back as has a page - not that is matters because I think the order of the caches got all scrambled up during a site transfer at one point)

Un-original Stash

I agree that this may be a little early, it's not like a 3 year old 'hobby/sport/game' has a need for a shrine like Cooperstown - but I don't see how this can hurt.

If you're going to put a plaque there with the owners permission - why not permanantly afix an ammo box to the post holding up the plaque with a logbook? Just an idea, might not be feasable.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Isn't that a bit over the top? I mean this sport isn't just quite baseball yet.

Not yet, but it will be nice to put a plaque there just the same. this way we will have a virtual to go to and a memorial for the sports origins.

I am planning on placing the plaque and then have a "ceremony" the next day, perhaps a cache event...

I didn't want to place another traditional cache there, it wouldn't be the same as the original bucket. Just a plaque as a virtual, don't you think?

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

Well, with all this talk about the Original Cache, I am going to let the cat out of the bag and ask for your help. I contacted the Clackamas County Surveyors Office a while back and had them do some research for me. During the past few weeks I have been working in conjunction with the land owners of the property where the first Geocache was placed. I am getting closer to getting an approval from them to place a bronze memorial plaque at the site (already ordered). After I get everything approved, I will be traveling up to the site to do this. The plan is to fill the depression with cement and sink this plaque securely into it. Jeremy has indicated to me that he will more than likely approve this virtual if I can get landowner permission. A few days ago, Spoondog was out at the "Un-Original" cache and ran into the person I have made this request to, and he tells me that Spoondog made a good impression of geocaching to him. (Thanks, Spoondog!) What I need next are the EXACT coordinates for the hole where the First Geocache was, along with a description of where it is (how far from the Un-Original, which direction, etc). Can anyone help me on this? Please post here or contact me at my email address, TEAM360WWG@YAHOO.COM

Let's make this happen and get a permanent memorial at the site!

EDIT: I HAVE TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE PLAQUE I HAVE ON ORDER IS NOT THE FINAL DESIGN. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOME INPUT FROM THE GEOCACHING COMMUNITY AS TO THE WORDING OF THE PLAQUE AS I HAVE NOT YET FINALIZED THE DESIGN. YOUR IDEAS ARE NEEDED AND WELCOMED.

Here's a copy of the original notice for Dave Ulmer's cache:

Subject: GPS Stash Hunt... Stash #1 is there!

Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav

Date: 2000/05/03

Well, I did it, created the first stash hunt stash and here are

the coordinates:

N 45 17.460

W122 24.800

Lots of goodies for the finders. Look for a black plastic bucket

buried most of the way in the ground. Take some stuff, leave

some stuff! Record it all in the log book. Have Fun!

Stash contians: Delorme Topo USA software, videos, books, food,

money, and a slingshot!

To expand on Bassoonpilot's post, here is a Short History of Geocaching (courtesy of Leps). It takes you through all the key usenet posts, from when the idea was first broached to the development of the geocaching name (Planeteering and Geosatplaneteering were early candidates) and on through the birth of this website. Pretty neat.

As an aside, the first cache contained food and was buried. A definite no-no today. The second cache contained a 6 pack of beer...another no-no.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Spzzmoose:

Hey 360...e-mail me and give me some contact info...I'd be more than happy to throw a few bucks yourway! Sounds like a great cause!!! icon_smile.gif

I never once considered asking anyone else for money to help pay for this. Bronze plaques certainly aren't cheap, but I had planned on paying for the entire project myself, simply to provide all geocachers a small memorial at the first site to visit and enjoy.

A plaque would be a cool memorial. The earlier suggestion of a micro built into the cache memorial would be truly cool. Nothing but a log book and a pencil. If you had the concrete built with a indentation on one side big enough for a small tupperware sandwich container (6x6x2 inches), you could superglue some velcro strips at the bottom of the square stick the other half of the velcro onto the lid of the box, and hide the micro right in the memorial.

Would definitely be worth the side trip if I was out in the area.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

quote:
I never once considered asking anyone else for money to help pay for this. Bronze plaques certainly aren't cheap, but I had planned on paying for the entire project myself, simply to provide all geocachers a small memorial at the first site to visit and enjoy.

Considering this site is pretty sacred to a whole bunch of folks all over the planet, why the heck NOT allow geocaching folks to help out? Helping folks pay for it makes 'em feel like a part of it, which helps you shine a bit too. icon_smile.gif

Paypal is easy to sign up for, easy to pay into, and anything that is left over can be put into charity. (Obviously the charity would be something having to do with preserving the natural setting, like the Nature Conservancy or something like that... just my thought du jour.)

How does one set some sort of trust for this kind of thing, anyway?

Last but not least... would holding a neat little placing-and-dedication event cache ceremony on the next anniversary of the first placement be a good idea? icon_smile.gif Logistics would include how to keep the crowd from trampling every plant at the site... just a thought...

I can see how this can spin into something huge and complicated... but I can also do a lot to contribute towards keeping the inevitable complexities under control.

Let's all just keep talking it out and making it work... because this is too cool. I'm posting this on the Northwest Forum

By the way, Team360, you rock. icon_biggrin.gif

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

quote:
Originally posted by Chief Paulina:

I was there (or so I thought). Seems strange to me that you say it is on private property. Would unoriginal be private also? Make it solid as it is right on the edge of the road.

The Un-Original is most definitely on private property, according to the landowners I have been in contact with. They went out to check the area to see where the First Site was, and ran into geocachers looking for the Un-Original. Luckily, the geocachers, "Spoondog" made a great impression about the sport and it appears the property owners don't have a problem with the Un-Original being where it is, even though it was placed without first obtaining permission. I have a local geocacher working with the property owner right now to determine if the First Site is on the county right-of-way or on this private land.

About the plaque I have on order: right now it simply reads:

"Site of the first Geocache

Placed here on May 3, 2000"

As I said, I am open to suggestions, as this order has not yet been finalized...

I think this is a really fun idea. Thanks for thinking of it and allowing us all to have some input!

The suggestion to have a micro built in is cool. I suppose the plaque could just be a virtual, but there's something very satisfying about signing a log.

I don't have specific wording to suggest, but some general thoughts: of course the plaque should mention the original placer (do you need his permission to use his name?), placement date, and the geocaching web site (do you need Jeremy's permission to mention the web site?). I'd think that keeping a light tone, rather than a serious one, would be more fitting for our pasttime. And, it would be nice to get at the global aspect of this -- either through a symbol that includes a globe/world map, or in the text.

Cin

Seeing you're in phoenix, There is a bronze foundry on McClintock It could still be called Arizona Bronze.

As far as the content, the words sound fine. I think it would be fun to have the geocaching logo in relief so we could take a pencil 'rubbing' of it's image.

Get your self some wax and start doodling out a design.

Kernbob

Drive Fast, Take Chances. -- Jon Bedford

Your plaque should have a secret compartment.

Have you thought about the Oregon State Historical Office? Once you get them involved though the site would be historical forever. They have a 50 year rule but it can change for things that are significant.

EBR-1 for example got listed before 50 years. I'm not sure if the first geocache location would qualify but I can tell you that more people know there was a first cache and that it was in Oregon than know what EBR-1 is let alone where in BFE it's at.

I can't wait to carve my name into it icon_razz.gif

Just kidding, but you should consider a logbook at the location.

By the way, what is the wording you chose for the plaque?

I've got dibs on the welcome center/souvenir shop icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by cachew nut on July 29, 2003 at 08:50 PM.]

I think this is a great Idea! However, thinking often gets me in trouble.

A built in micro is a cool idea. Also adding the original placer's name and the site web address are good ideas.

I would go out of my way to find this, but isn't going out of your way what we do anyway?

quote:

I never once considered asking anyone else for money to help pay for this.

I believe that money is not a problem for you.

Aren't you the one that smashed your GPSr with a hammer, 'cause you picked a fight here in the forums?icon16.gif

You should get more input from everyone on the design. Volunteers should recruited for maintenance too.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

Without giving too much away, we are devising a way to incorporate a micro into this. The plaque is costing me $200 already, and that is just for text only, no relief images yet. I have to control costs, but don't want to be skimpy on something so important.

The gift shop will be open 24/7 for those of you who cache at night, and the Killer Whale Shows start at 1 and 4 p.m. on weekends. Kids under 12 are free.

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

quote:

I never once considered asking anyone else for money to help pay for this.

I believe that money is not a problem for you.

Aren't you the one that smashed your GPSr with a hammer, 'cause you picked a fight here in the forums?

You should get more input from everyone on the design. Volunteers should recruited for maintenance too.

No, I was the one who threw his MeriPlat in the garbage. You must have me confused with at least a dozen other cachers who "quit"... icon_wink.gif

Maintenance shouldn't be a problem. The plaque is designed to last a loooong time and will be sunk into cement casing.

As far as designs and lettering go, as I stated before, I am open to any emails with suggestions.

There has been discussion about putting names on the plaque. Some feel it would be a good thing to include the first geocachers names, while others don't want to memorialize anyone who turned his back on the game. Keeping it as a dedication to the PLACE where the sport originated seems to be a favorite theme among the cachers who have emailed me so far. So far, the best version for a plaque has been:

ORIGINAL SITE

THE FIRST GEOCACHE WAS

PLACED HERE ON MAY 3, 2000

Kinda generic but simple and to the point. I am always open to other suggestions or ideas. Just drop me an email.

quote:

About the plaque I have on order: right now it simply reads:

"Site of the first Geocache

Placed here on May 3, 2000"

Excellant! Great plan 360... Since you've solicited suggestions:

I'd add a third line: "by David Ulmer" (Shouldn't he get credit as first instigator?!)

The coordinates would be a very nice touch too!

In terms of design, depending on how you were planning on mounting the plaque, a compass rose aligned to magnetic north would be cool, and allow future alien archeologists to surmise things about our magnetic poles after they've wandered away!

However, I'd refrain from mentioning any website as such things are temporary and transient (nevermind there are multiple!) Were any internet-related item mentioned, the newgroup would be more appropriate, since it existed then! Either way, neither is part of the "legacy" imo.

In my mind, a micro is an absolute MUST assuming the property owners can be convinced to allow such. They'd never allow it, but a covenant on their property deed enforcing future access would be worth paying for.

So this is how I envision it (all centered, I rearranged the lines after I saw it):

---

Site of the first Geocache

placed here by David Ulmer

on May 3rd, 2000

N 45 17.460' W122 24.800'

---

Again, just suggestions,

Randy

icon_smile.gif I think it's an awesome idea. I also think it would be neat to allow people to contribute. If you don't want to take money for it, then we can just make a donation to a local land conservation organization (wildlife, marshlands, Ducks Unlimited or Vancouver Islande Marmots here in BC) in Geocaching's name. I say go for it!! Sounds exciting. Would be one of those "hafta log it" sites. Can't wait to see it.

"You are cleared for geocaching."

I considered accepting any donations from the geocaching community towards this project, but I don't know how Jeremy would view that being done here on his website.

I even made up "Certificates of Ownership". I would print up one for every team that contributed, with the team name on it, and indicate what percentage of the plaque that particular sponsor owned. Then I would mail them out after taking a picture of the certificate at the plaque site when we place it. Each sponsor would get their name listed on the cache page as well.

EDIT: You know what? I don't want to be selfish about this. If you WANT to contribute to the Geocaching Plaque, drop me an email and I will make sure you get an Ownership Certificate when we place it, along with photos. I am not asking for help, but if you want to send something in order to own a piece of this geocaching history, I will put it towards getting a bigger plaque, raised relief of the Geocaching logo, additional text, etc...Team360wwg@yahoo.com

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on July 29, 2003 at 10:16 PM.]

Oooooh a virtual AND a vacation cache. That's breaking a lot of rules.....

Just teasing you.

It's a great idea. I like the addition of a microcache. (Keep it simple though since a lot of people from outside the area will be coming to sign it. No Superstealth type multi visit kind of caches.) We can probably contribute a few dollars towards it. How about adding a phrase like:

*A sport was born* or *The birth of a sport* or something like that.

quote:

Without giving too much away, we are devising a way to incorporate a micro into this. The plaque is costing me $200 already, and that is just for text only, no relief images yet. I have to control costs, but don't want to be skimpy on something so important.

It has been suggested before, but you really should set up a paypal link and let folks kick in a couple of bucks. If we all kicked in $5, we could have the thing paid for.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

A memorial sounds like someone died. How about commemorative? To commemorate the location of the first cache. I know that commemorate technically means the same thing, but it sounds less dour.

How about tribute? A tribute plaque?

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

This is a great idea!

My brother-in-law recently visited the place.

He told me he knelt on the ground bowing and with his hands waving up and down saying....I am not worthy! I wasn't there to see this and he may have been kidding around, but it was important to him. Right RR?

I think this would be a tremedous thing to do. People would come from everywhere to see it!