More Fun?

There is a bunch out in Vancouver who are leaving caches with new GPS's, hundreds of dollars in cash and other expensive items. The caches aren't easy.

They usually involve a challenging puzzle and are hidden in very difficult to access locations.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by mogolloyd:

more lucrative than what? and what area are you in?

Good questions!

Your (Ragemanifest's) profile indicates that you have not found any caches. We need to know what your experience is thus far in order to advise you on other caches. What caches have you found already, and in what part of the country?

RichardMoore

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway

I'm in the NY area. I love going out and doing this geocache gig, it's mad fun. And although i've only founf a few caches and i'm extremely new to this, what if the stakes were higher? My kids love going out and finding the toys, and i'm content with just finding the ammo can/container. But what if there were say, $20 bills in there, or Jewelery, would these caches be in demand? I have tons of this of value, that are just sitting around. And on another note, for all you paintballers what about a scenario game, on private land of course, were all the ammo was hidden, and only your GPS would save you from a bombardment of Paint?

quote:
Originally posted by Ragemanifest:

I'm in the NY area. I love going out and doing this geocache gig, it's mad fun. And although i've only founf a few caches and i'm extremely new to this, what if the stakes were higher? My kids love going out and finding the toys, and i'm content with just finding the ammo can/container. But what if there were say, $20 bills in there, or Jewelery, would these caches be in demand? I have tons of this of value, that are just sitting around. And on another note, for all you paintballers what about a scenario game, on private land of course, were all the ammo was hidden, and only your GPS would save you from a bombardment of Paint?

Funny you should mention paintball. I just played the role of Little John, second in command at a Robin Hood based scenario game this past weekend. A scenario team that played on our side uses many high tech devices including gen 3 night vision, and thermal imaging. They mentioned the Garmin Rhino's ability to transmit other Rhino owners' locations. I was stunned, this would be a fantastic way to combine fun with GPS and paintball. As to finding cached paint on the field, great idea! I hope you come to southeast Louisiana and set up something like that. My three closest paintball buddies also enjoy going on cache hunts with me. Check out our anodizing website, still under construction. It's very crude, but I'm no computer genious. icon_biggrin.gif Someday I'll get better photos, and submit it to some search engines.

eyes.GIF

"Searching with my good eye closed"

quote:

...although i've only founf a few caches and i'm extremely new to this, what if the stakes were higher? My kids love going out and finding the toys, and i'm content with just finding the ammo can/container. But what if there were say, $20 bills in there, or Jewelery, would these caches be in demand? I have tons of this of value, that are just sitting around.

wellll, if you are already content and having a wonderful time with it, *and* you have plenty of this type of thing lying about, why don't you just start putting it into caches? i've often been with a child who took a cheap toy and i left something worth much more...if the dollar value is what you're counting, not the insane amount of joy the mctoys give my kids. here's to quieter car rides!

"i am but mad north-nothwest...when the wind is southerly, i know a hawk from a handsaw."

A cache went out here in Dayton, OH shortly after I started geocaching. It was filled with more than a dozen CDs. We were pretty excited to visit, but very few others have done so. And most have TN/LN. I guess we have a good caching community that only trades even or up and most don't want to trade something as (relatively) expensive as a CD. We expected to see a lot of visits to this cache, but it hasn't happened.

UPSCWRU (University of Puget Sound, Case Western Reserve University)

quote:

This game is quite amusing, i am really enjoying it. Is there any caches out there that are let's say, "more lucrative" ? If not, and i start one, what kind of things would my fellow geocacher's like to see?

The point of geocaching isn't to be "lucrative." It's all about the hunt, the thrill of the find, the time spent outdoors. If I found a cache with a $20.00 bill and a 50-cent trinket, I'd take the trinket, because I usually don't carry anything with me that would make a "fair" trade for $20. Or else I'd take nothing, and leave something anyway.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

quote:
Is there any caches out there that are let's say, "more lucrative" ?

Read my 4/16 log entry from this cache to see how I celebrated my 100th find. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh those tricky decimal points. icon_wink.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

I've often thought of doing a "special" cache, open to only certain groups. I like putting out newbie and child friendly caches, but I REALLY want to do an adventurous one, something challenging like the "Amazing Race", with somewhat nicer prizes. Of course, the clues would be more cryptic, the distances greater, the terrain more challenging. I think I'll try to start a thread on this and see if others are open to traveling to a cache with these elements.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

quote:
Freelens:Since I apparently can't post a new thread for some reason. I think I'll hijack this one.

I've been thinking of doing an invitation only cache using email to notify the invitees and to report the find. Any thoughts?

Suggest you contact Dogman98 here in Raleigh, NC. He is putting out "full Moon Madness" after sunset on the night of the full moon only, in a different location each month. TPTB said it did not conform with GC.com guidelines so it is not listed here, but 10 of us went after it last month. It is kinda neat knowing when a cache will be hidden and waiting for the email to get the coords and racing off to get the first find.

In March I got it first since it was hiddden in the gardens outside my building (he did not know where I worked back then). A very easy find although I had driven two block away before I got satellite lock (parking is underground.) I suggested he post it as an event cache, but it may not be possible to control the time/date of the cache posting so it stays offsite for now.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane