Launch your own (virtual) GPS satellite

Mopar

Cool Mopar.

I got one to do a figure-8 around the earth and moon. Don't know how, but it's doing it.

Apparently I have a couple with orbits well outside the screen, because every once in a while, I see it (them?) come on the screen for a bit, and then disappear.

Jamie

I launched several in rapid succession. I think I have seven in stable orbit. Four of them are in VERY near orbits, and the other three seem to be reaching their slowdown point just as the moon comes by and gives it a yank up. Pretty neat.

RIght before I came back here, I launched about 20 in random succession before I started typing, and then went back to check, and the original 7 that I mentioned are the only ones left.

I did have some orbit the moon, but only three or four times at most. Couldn't get one to orbit a solid five or more yet.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Has anyone managed to get one to orbit at a Lagrange Point? After literally thousands of tries I can't do it. You have to place it perfectly for it to work. And your best bet is L4 or L5. L1, L2, and L3 are inherently unstable. I do have one in a very stable retrograde orbit about 2/3rds of the way to the moon that is kinda cool. I keep thinking the moon is going to capture it but it never quite makes it.

Tony

Capitan, Team Bohica

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

I've gotten one to partially orbit the moon.

Be careful! Don't you know what has happened to almost every monkey thats been sent into space????

Women are like guns, keep one around long enough and you're going to want to shoot it.

Pretty Cool! I got 2 to orbit earth at the same time, 1 in a pretty circular orbit & one in a really wacky eliptical where it almost hits the surface then shoots off toward the edge then back.

I got one to orbit the moon about 3 times before gettin sucked in. If u sort of spin your pointer around the moon as it moves & launch a couple u can get pretty lucky. How can you make this a scren saver? icon_rolleyes.gif

Wherever you go, there you are!

Pretty Cool! I got 2 to orbit earth at the same time, 1 in a pretty circular orbit & one in a really wacky eliptical where it almost hits the surface then shoots off toward the edge then back.

I got one to orbit the moon about 3 times before gettin sucked in. If u sort of spin your pointer around the moon as it moves & launch a couple u can get pretty lucky. How can you make this a scren saver? icon_rolleyes.gif

Wherever you go, there you are!

I had one that maintained a tight orbit around one side of the earth, which maintained a longer spin towards the moon. The moon's gravity maintained this weird orbit indefinitely (well, until I closed my browser). Pretty neat! Thanks icon_smile.gif

Now can anyone get 24 going at once?

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I had one that maintained a tight orbit around one side of the earth, which maintained a longer spin towards the moon. The moon's gravity maintained this weird orbit indefinitely (well, until I closed my browser). Pretty neat! Thanks icon_smile.gif

Jeremy Irish

But, I closed my browser. I got them going again today at 10:30 am PDT. I'll let you know when they die.

One is in a very tight orbit around the earth going the same direction as the moon. The other is going opposite with the moon around the earth about halfway through. It get close to the earth but the moon pulls it back every to normal every few revolutions.

stealyourcache.gif Serious cachers needed! www.theheavenlyhost.com/geocache

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Dangit, Jeremy... now why'd you have to go and issue a challenge like that? Weren't you satisfied with "can anyone find all these Tupperware containers I listed on my little website?"

It took me a skipped lunch hour plus a half hour of work time, but I've got 28 satellites in stable orbit. Many lives and much hi-tech hardware crashed and burned along the way.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

What would life be like if there were no hypothetical questions?

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

It took me a skipped lunch hour plus a half hour of work time, but I've got 28 satellites in stable orbit. Many lives and much hi-tech hardware crashed and burned along the way.

I got 100-some going last night, and 41 were still running 12 hours later. I'll check on them when I get home.

The trick is to fling a million of them and hope they'll stick around. I have yet to get one to orbit the moon for more than 3 or 4 times.

Jeremy Irish

I've found what works well too is to pretend like you've launched them from Earth. Click near the surface of the planet and drag away and a bit in a circle. The trick is finding the balance between not enough dragging (where the sat makes a half-orbit and crashes) and too much drag (where the sat makes like that Mars lander that NASA lost track of).

I've got a blurry cloud on orbit right now.

What's fun is clicking without dragging and placing them within range of the moon I can get 3-4 orbits before the sat just spirals into its doom.

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association