Cigars in a Cache

ganggreen

What is it that makes anything you find in a cache container safe to consume...?!?

This ranks right up(down?) there with the idea of putting food in a cache. As is the case with food, you have absolutely NO idea of who may have placed the cigar or what they (or someone else) might have DONE to it. Would you 'light one up' that you quite literally 'found on the ground'? This is no different.

Then there's the whole question of keeping cache contents 'kid friendly' ...which they *should* be.

Questions like this shouldn't even be the subject of a poll. Read the 'GeoCaching.com' guidelines on inappropriate cache items:

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/making.asp

...where it clearly states:

"...Please! No alcohol, tobacco, firearms, prescription or illicit drugs. Let's keep this safe and legal..."

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on September 05, 2002 at 12:48 PM.]

I certainly would NOT expect Geocaching to endorse putting any of those pre-mentioned items in caches.

I can't see any harm in placing a single sealed cigar, tin of food, can of pop or even one of those tiny bottles of Liquor in a cache.

As a fellow 'Canuck", I'll give kids a lot more credit for intelligence . Most 6 year olds are smart enough not to eat a bloated can of sardines and they sure aren't going to light up a cigar. It's safe to assume younger ones would be within reach of adults anyways. I've raised my kids to know right from wrong.

If some geocachers are so paranoid about tampered goods, what the heck are they doing opening unknown containers in the middle of nowhere, or leaving there homes for that matter.

As for legality, it's up to us to make our own decisions. Kind of like using an Official Provincial Crest for one's personal avatar.

quote:
Originally posted by eroyd:

As for legality, it's up to us to make our own decisions. Kind of like using an Official Provincial Crest for one's personal avatar.

The choice of the word 'legal' is GeoCaching.com's, not mine (note the quotation marks). As for my avatar, it's my country, my province, and my flag ...although I suppose I could have drawn my own just like you did (nice self portrait, did you use a mirror?).

What 6 year old kid goes caching alone in the woods? Maybe I'm missing something here, (I am slowing down a bit lately), but if some 6 year old, on his own, using a GPS can find a cache in the woods, I say he deserves to celebrate by lighting up a good cigar. Cuban? Oops. No, that's illegal. Wouldn't want to do anything illegal.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

...although I suppose I could have drawn my own just like you did (nice self portrait, did you use a mirror?).

My 5 year daughter did the portrait. Actually it's a pretty nice rendition except she drew the wrong ear bigger. She's a Canuck that never goes caching alone. At least not until next year.

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

What is it that makes anything you find in a cache container safe to consume...?!?

What is it that makes you think anything you find anywhere is safe to consume? Life is a risk. Relatively speaking, somehow I don't think there is a very high risk that a cigar in a cache is going to be laced with cyanide. I think the maniac's preferred modis operandi would be to simply place tainted food on a supermarket shelf (which doesn't stop me from shopping). Wouldn't you agree that there is a much greater liklihood that you are going to be done in by a disgruntled restaurant employee on his last day - with a pepper shaker full of arsenic? (or perhaps you also won't accept the risk of eating at a restuarant?) Go on - live dangerously and take a puff....mmmm.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

When Mark Twain, aka Samuel Clemence, was once asked by an interviewer to what it was the he attributed his longevity, he replied:

"I refrained from smoking cigars 'til the age of nine. After that, I never smoked more than one cigar at a time."

...or something like that.

Anton - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

It's a family sport and one that's open to people of all ages. I think we can all agree that leaving a bottle of single malt Scotch would be a little irresponsible, lest a minor get caught and blame geocaching.com as his source, or worse yet, getting involved in a DUI accident.

Possession of tobacco products by minors is just as illegal in all states in the US as possession of alcohol, and placing such items in a cache would be just as irresponsible.

This appears to be the rationale behind the prohibition, but, as a bottom line, Geocaching.com, as previously mentioned, has declared it verbotten. Dead issue, therefore.

Next question?

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

I allow myself about one cigar a month (mostly when playing golf) and had a dog about three years ago who got into my humidor while I wasn't home. She removed only ONE cigar and chewed it to bits. Next thing I know, I innocently come home to find her lying on her side unable to move, frothing at the mouth and panting heavily. A quick investigatory assessment of the scene of the accident revealed to me what had obviously happened and I had to relate it to the veterinarian, who quickly chastised me as to the lethal quality of tobacco products to many animals. The dog was saved, but only after a $300+ vet bill.

Relevance to the current issue - wild animals do occasionally get into caches and we tend to tout this as an environmentally-friendly sport. What about that?

Cache Log: Went out to cache site and zeroed in on the coordinates. Found what is probably the cache, but there's a dead, stinky raccoon lying nearby with a Cohiba in his mouth.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyra:...Cache Log: Went out to cache site and zeroed in on the coordinates. Found what is probably the cache, but there's a dead, stinky raccoon lying nearby with a Cohiba in his mouth.

Did the raccoon log in before he took the cigar. Kind of curious what he traded for it.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

quote:
Originally posted by Lyra:...Cache Log: Went out to cache site and zeroed in on the coordinates. Found what is probably the cache, but there's a dead, stinky raccoon lying nearby with a Cohiba in his mouth.

Did the raccoon log in before he took the cigar. Kind of curious what he traded for it.

Alan

icon_biggrin.gif Forgot to add...Took nothing, left me.

60748_1200.jpg

quote:

quote:

Alan

icon_biggrin.gif Forgot to add...Took nothing, left me.

60748_1200.jpg

One of the advantages of traveling is that at times you find yourself in places you shouldn't be, via ways you should not use. The current crop (2001) of Cubans is pretty bad. I was rather disapointed to say the least. I'll stick to my Don D'Aigo's

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

One of the advantages of traveling is that at times you find yourself in places you shouldn't be, via ways you should not use. The current crop (2001) of Cubans is pretty bad. I was rather disapointed to say the least. I'll stick to my Don D'Aigo's

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

If it's such a concern I'll be sure to remove all the cigar's I find and enjoy them with my scotch.

I want to cache where you people live. It sure beats Hot Wheels and Pez dispensers. Maybe you could cache in my area and leave a few Monte Cristo's that need to be confiscated. Heck, I'd probably even take the one from the dead raccoon.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

When Mark Twain, aka Samuel Clemence, was once asked by an interviewer to what it was the he attributed his longevity, he replied:

"I refrained from smoking cigars 'til the age of nine. After that, I never smoked more than one cigar at a time."

...or something like that.

Yep, and when George Burns was asked what his doctors thought of his cigar smoking, his reply was "They're all dead"

quote:

My 5 year daughter did the portrait. Actually it's a pretty nice rendition except she drew the wrong ear bigger. She's a Canuck that never goes caching alone. At least not until next year.

I suspected that you probably had some help with the picture (my own son was always better at colouring inside the lines than I was icon_smile.gif ).

Cheers.

quote:

I suspected that you probably had some help with the picture (my own son was always better at colouring inside the lines than I was icon_smile.gif ).

Cheers.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyra:

I allow myself about one cigar a month (mostly when playing golf) and had a dog about three years ago who got into my humidor while I wasn't home. She removed only ONE cigar and chewed it to bits. Next thing I know, I innocently come home to find her lying on her side unable to move, frothing at the mouth and panting heavily. A quick investigatory assessment of the scene of the accident revealed to me what had obviously happened and I had to relate it to the veterinarian, who quickly chastised me as to the lethal quality of tobacco products to many animals. The dog was saved, but only after a $300+ vet bill.

The lovely effects of a nicotine overdose on the autonomic nervous system...

Considering that the rules of geocaching specifically prohibit placing tobacco in a cache, I'd say that its not okay.

Let's just play by Geocaching.com rules. Those rules could even be tightened up a little more to excluding even legal and non-perscription drugs. Even though I think some Benedryl, Contact and Aspirin/anti-inflammatory could be very useful to many geaocachers.

Another reason for no tobacco. Let's say I have this "friend", who use to smoke a lot of good cigars and picked geocaching as a way to get healthy excercise and kick a nicotine addiction.

I'm afraid if this guy stumbled upon a cigar cache and unwittingly opened it, smelling that a fragrant, aged maduro tobacco wrapper wafting up, might, in a weak moment, restart an expensive and deletarious habit.

However, if some group wants to cache on private land, with the owners permission and have an adult verification and adult theme calling the hunt something totally different (Cigar Hunt) well....

About the legality of Cuban cigars...

Two groups of associates recently came back from Cuba. One with Cuban Rum and Cigars. Boy did my "friend" pick the wrong time to give up his vices. Anyway, appears the folks who where part of a charter group, educational "conference," flying out of Florida could bring back x boxes of cigars and x bottles of rum.

NO Problemo! Something about it being a chartered business function.

The "vacationeers" group, who flew out of Mexico were severely restricted as to what they could bring back. Nada!

Any geocaches in Cuba? Maybe Fidel would be interested in setting up Cigar-Rumhunt.com? Any volunteers:-)

----------

Greenjeens

I enjoy a good cigar as much as the next guy, but there's no way I'd smoke a cigar I found in a cache. Can you imagine what the heat of summer in an airtight box is going to do to that thing?!?!

Plus, the only cigar I ever found on a hunt was in a cache that also contained an open can of fishfood and about a ZILLION ants. Blaaahhhh.

Besides, with fall coming on it's more pipe weather. If someone wanted to leave a nice Dunhill Millennium pipe in a cache, please feel free! icon_wink.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

I enjoy a good cigar as much as the next guy, but there's no way I'd smoke a cigar I found in a cache. Can you imagine what the heat of summer in an airtight box is going to do to that thing?!?!

Plus, the only cigar I ever found on a hunt was in a cache that also contained an open can of fishfood and about a ZILLION ants. Blaaahhhh.

Besides, with fall coming on it's more pipe weather. If someone wanted to leave a nice Dunhill Millennium pipe in a cache, please feel free! icon_wink.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:

actually there is one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=23407 No one's logged an entry. Hmmm. icon_cool.gif

ALan

*Contains Cuban Cache Spoilers*

Let's see... creeping around in low light with a GPS mapping device a a heavily trafficed historical war monument in communist Havana on the edge of a cliff?

Got to pretend the GPS is a camera and then leisurely scope out the location during the day:> Of course, I wouldn't want to try explaining geocaching to the local authorities in such a situation. Maybe that cache needs a cigar.

----------

Greenjeens

quote:

actually there is one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=23407 No one's logged an entry. Hmmm. icon_cool.gif

ALan

*Contains Cuban Cache Spoilers*

Let's see... creeping around in low light with a GPS mapping device a a heavily trafficed historical war monument in communist Havana on the edge of a cliff?

Got to pretend the GPS is a camera and then leisurely scope out the location during the day:> Of course, I wouldn't want to try explaining geocaching to the local authorities in such a situation. Maybe that cache needs a cigar.

----------

Greenjeens

quote:
Originally posted by Lyra:

It's a family sport and one that's open to people of all ages. I think we can all agree that leaving a bottle of single malt Scotch would be a little irresponsible, lest a minor get caught and blame geocaching.com as his source, or worse yet, getting involved in a DUI accident.

Possession of tobacco products by minors is just as illegal in all states in the US as possession of alcohol, and placing such items in a cache would be just as irresponsible.

How many minors geocache by themselves? Anyone know?

There's a cigar cache on my "to-get" list. I have no intention of taking one or leaving one, but I plan to log it based on the description of the travel to get to it.

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

I put 4 good H. Upmans in my first cache. The cache was placed last year in memory of a family friend who lost his life in the WTC on 9/11. One of the reasons I placed them in the cache was because he was a lover of good cigars. I used one of those vacuum, food sealer machines to package the cigars.

At the time I didn't see anything wrong with it and I really still don't. I can't see an 11 year trading a Churchill for a McToy without his parents noticing.

Anyway, after they spent about 4 months in the cache, I realized that it was unlikely anybody would take a cigar from a cache, no matter how well packaged. I stopped by to do maintenance and since my own supply was running low, I took the cigars. Upon puncturing the sealed package, the cigars looked kind of odd, being compacted somewhat when the air was sucked out of the package. I didn't have high hopes, but tossed them in my humidor. The next day I pulled one out and it looked fine and smoked perfectly. So did the rest.

So the moral of the story is (if there is one here), don't put cigars in caches; but if you do,

use one of those "seal-a-meal" machines to package the cigars.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Well, my older son doesn't exactly Geocache by himself, but we do let him be the first to find the cache sometimes. He has his own account and his own finds. So, if he found a cigar in a cache, we'd be there within a few seconds to keep him from taking it, but he would still have found it.

Not to mention the odor it would leave in the cache. With apologies to tobacco afficionados, I have to say that it would be really hard for me to even force myself to sign the logbook with the smell of tobacco permeating the cache.

For those who want to enjoy tobacco, why not just host an event and trade cigars there? Just warn us asthmatics in advance, please....

Shannah

Back when cigars were just becoming “fashionable”, a good friend opined, “Anybody who’d put one of those nasty things in their mouth should have no problem **CENSORED** another man’s **CENSORED**”.

Now that’s what I think of whenever I see someone trying to be trendy by smoking a cigar.

icon_redface.gif

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Back when cigars were just becoming “fashionable”, a good friend opined, “Anybody who’d put one of those nasty things in their mouth should have no problem **CENSORED** another man’s **CENSORED**”.

Now that’s what I think of whenever I see someone trying to be trendy by smoking a cigar.

icon_redface.gif

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

What's good for former Presidents isn't necessarily good for geo-caching icon_wink.gif. I vote NO in the general cache, a cigar only cache somewhere wouldn't bother me, I just don't need to visit it, but the rules of the game DO say "no tobacco" You might have to go back to start and not pass go and not collect $200 or lose your turn.

Cache you later,

Planet

What's good for former Presidents isn't necessarily good for geo-caching icon_wink.gif. I vote NO in the general cache, a cigar only cache somewhere wouldn't bother me, I just don't need to visit it, but the rules of the game DO say "no tobacco" You might have to go back to start and not pass go and not collect $200 or lose your turn.

Cache you later,

Planet

Hey,

I know this thread has long ago died, but I'm starting it up again!

I'd love to see a PG-13 or R rating applied to caches! I'm 32 without ankle-biters and I'd love to seek out "adults-only" caches that might have cigars, beers, mini-bottles, etc, in the container.

Of course this would be a b**th to enforce, but lets work towards Shangrilha!

How kewl would it be to go to a cache in a forest somehwere filled with brands of beer that you've never seen before?

Wicked kewl says me! icon_eek.gif

~ "If you take a dump in your mess kit you'll go to bed hungry."

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Was he suggesting that only men smoke?

And only gay men at that?

Or was the suggestion that by smoking cigars, a person automatically becomes gay?

Is there in that quote an insinuation that being a homosexual is bad for you?

Is it just as bad for women who "smoke cigars"?

Questions, questions, questions... icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and just to make sure this stays reasonably on topic... I think smoking (cigars or cigarettes) in public is disgusting. icon_mad.gif It does nothing except annoy people, create litter (nobody ever seems to use those ash trays to dispose of the ends properly) and create a stink.

Smoking in private is a different matter entirely.

Likewise, leaving a tobacco related product for children to potentially find is equally wrong. I'd hate to think that any kid started smoking just because of Geocaching.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

[This message was edited by Kouros on November 03, 2002 at 05:23 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

Likewise, leaving a tobacco related product for children to potentially find is equally wrong. I'd hate to think that any kid started smoking just because of Geocaching.

[sARCASM]

Hey--let's ignore my mom's cigarettes laying over there on the table and the pack my dad left in the car and all those packs that our friends have in their pockets and let's ignore all the convenience stores that don't card teenagers and let's go hiking. I hear people sometimes hide cigars in plastic boxes in the woods.

[/sACARSM]

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

"Daddy. What is this long, brown thing in the cache?"

"Sweetie. That's called a cigar. It is a poisonous plant that some people burn and then suck the poisonous smoke into their body."

Wow, Daddy? Why would anyone want to hurt themselves like that?"

Well, Honey. I am sorry to say but there are those kind of people who don't love themselves enough to care about their health and life."

"Gosh, Daddy. I am only five and I would never hurt myself like that."

"I know Sweetie, and I am proud and love you for having better care and love for yourself than those adults who don't have the good sense that you do."

"Daddy. Why would anyone put that kind of poison in a fun hunting box full of neat toys and stuff?"

"I don't know, Honey, but I guess there are people in the world who aren't as smart, caring, or loving as you."

"I love you, Daddy." icon_smile.gif

David Berne

[This message was edited by tahoeberne on November 03, 2002 at 12:11 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

[sARCASM]

Hey--let's ignore my mom's cigarettes laying over there on the table and the pack my dad left in the car and all those packs that our friends have in their pockets and let's ignore all the convenience stores that don't card teenagers and let's go hiking. I hear people sometimes hide cigars in plastic boxes in the woods.

[/sACARSM]

Ummm, at least here in the Bay Area, smoking is becoming vanishingly rare. It would be unlikely for any random kid to be able to find cigarettes around the house.

Children are curious, Wendy. They don't view cigars as being the same as cigarettes. Even if they have easy access to cigarettes, which seems to be more and more rare, a cigar is likely to be an object of curiosity.

Sure, we parents should watch our kids 24/7, and most of us try. But the fact is, as kids grow up, they have to be allowed to use their own judgement, so that they *develop* their own judgement.

When my kids are in their teens, I expect to be able to trust them to open a cache themselves, and it would be really nice not to worry that they might filch something like booze or tobacco to experiment with later.

Again, like I posted earlier, I think that adults, if they want to enjoy things like cigars, are perfectly capable of hosting an event cache. Smoke yourselves silly! Get drunk as skunks! Enjoy yourselves to the max!

I would just really appreciate it if people would avoid leaving adults-only stuff in or around caches. I supervise my kids as best I can, and I think that in general, I do a pretty good job, but tempting teenagers is pretty pointless.

Shannah