Inspired at a cache location.

TEAM 360

Ever been to a cache location and just get zapped by a feeling? I did today. My on-line cache report:

Found on 8-7-2003 at 2:10 p.m. by TEAM 360. I pulled right up to this cache. The roots of these old trees ran across to each other, each a reassuring touch during what must be the end of a long life together. As I signed the cache, the breeze suddenly picked up, and the old tree branches creaked deeply as they bent in the wind. My heart began to pound. With every beat I heard the stories of the trees; of two young lovers having a picnic lunch under the branches on a summer day; the sadness of a woman who tied a ribbon to the tree, waiting for her husband who would never come home from a war; of childrens laughter, a dogs bark, and an old mans smile; of rain and thunderstorms and lightning and of all the years that the trees had seen passing by them; of blue skies and open fields that reached to the horizon, now ripped away to make room for new homes. I looked at the bottles and trash around them and felt ashamed at how these magnificent trees would soon be ending their long journey together through time.

Wow, 360, knew you'd placed some brilliant caches, but didn't know you had such a poetic soul. It almost made me cry a river.

Here was the log from one that gave me similar feelings:

May 24 by Huntnlady (172 found)

I met a master cacher from Stockton land,

Who said--'A Great Green delerlict stands by the delta . . . Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk a black insectivore,

With segmented antenna and six legs,

Tell that its sculptor well those movements read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The Egyptian curse, that filled with dread;

And on the machinery, these words appear:

Turbo Chieftan 1400, oh how Great,

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

(Apologies to Shelly)

[This message was edited by Huntnlady on August 07, 2003 at 05:22 PM.]

Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Have been to many caches that made us thankful the placer put them there - to bring us to this wonderful spot to enjoy. Have felt a little of what you have - but never verbalized it - wish we would have. icon_smile.gif

"Geocaching expands your horizons - not your butt!"

I visited a cache on Petit Jean mountain in Arkansas. I visited the grave site of Petit Jean and read the history of her. I stood on that mountain overlooking the valley below and the river she travelled to reach her final destination. I imagined what she went through on the ground I was standing on. It was cool!

"WITHOUT GEOGRAPHY YOU'RE NOWHERE....Jimmy Buffett

The depth you experienced exists in all things and every moment. Give-n-takes is right. We could all experience this depth in everything we see and do and in everyone we meet if we could be more mindful.

Be grateful for your insight and strive to experience the world like that all the time!

We did a multiple cache that took us on a tour of some beautiful landscapes in the finger lakes (look up: Tally Ho!(New York)). It was a great cache.

As luck would have it the final stop overlooked a wide valley and we found ourselves there at the precise moment of the sunset behind dramatic clouds. There were several dozen cows in the field in front of us who seemd to fall silent to watch the sunset with us. Becasue we were looking into a valley the sky dome was HUGE and I had a similar feeling of oneness as we all (me, my wife and the cows) experienced each other and that moment and observed the sun setting (or was the horizon moving up?) in a way that would never happen the exact same way again. I entered similar sentiments to this in the log book and noticed that many preceding entries were similar. I hope that we all inspired to be present in the remaining moments of our lives!

"Now may every living thing, young or old, weak or strong, living near or far, known or unknown, living or departed or yet unborn, may every living thing know happiness!"

There has been several caches that I've visited that gave out a good aura and the inspirations were up there. When I planted this Cache there was a definite meaning in its creation and the meaning has been felt by those that have found the cache. I just adopted an abandoned vacation cache and the area has a special meaning for another cacher and that is probably why I drove all the way up there to get the cache and replant it.

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.

Reminds me of a cache I did back in the summer of '01. Missouri Headwaters in Montana. It was a major site of the Lewis and Clark expedition. As I hiked up to the top of a cliff where Clark had stood to survey the area, I felt a deep connection with history, and could almost see the explorers still there next to me. When I got to the cache, what was waiting inside for me? A Sakajawea coin. Still have it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right. -Robert Hunter.

I remember one cache in particular that the drive was more impressive than the cache itself. It was one of my first outside of my normal stomping grounds. I drove up the coast and ended up following the needle through strawberry fields and just sort of got hypnotized by the landscape and the people picking strawberries and selling them. Beautiful.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

My "Cache of the Buckongehanon" is a place like that. I'm not as poetic, so I quoted a book about the area in the cache description:

"But, despite its attending danger, to be alone in the somber depths of a "forest primeval," beneath the towering giants, where nature whispers to one's innermost self, and where swishing boughs and rustling leaves mingling with the golden songs of the veery and the wood-thrush strike vibrant notes upon the harp-strings of the soul until it is filled with reverence and thrilled with a rapturous, lilting joy, makes one sense a subtle Presence known by no better name than the 'Great Spirit.'"

As a dreamer of dreams and a travelling man, I have chalked up many a mile, read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles. -J. Buffett

360, you're a poet at heart. I never guessed.

Yes there have been some caches I've felt that way about. The most recent was Arizona Falls.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Here's a log from my Railroad Spike cache.

November 15, 2002 by Agent 007 with trusty sidekick Agent 3 1/2 (59 found)

Perhaps it was the woman from India walking her baby that threw me the sideways glance when entering her quiet neighborhood when I parked. I paused halfway up the south ridge on the chair provided and contempleted the orange grove beneath me, the farmed fields accross the freeway and amongst the surrounding terrain, the vast Stater Brothers H.Q./shipping terminal nearby and how they all interrelated to bring us society as we know it. Once I crested the ridge the freeway noise and imperialistic society gave way to an eerie silence and significant lack of activity. (it was Friday morning at 11am-no one was anywhere to be seen)I went into a zen like state of mind. I found the hidden ridge of the cache, sat naked in the lotus position and contemplated...what enlightenment can I pass on to my fellow Geocacher's??....hmmmmm........

Then from the heavens came a hawk swiftly and silently hunting his prey. I could hear the sound of his wings as the wind passed over them. I could see his giant talons extended while he was hunting his prey. That's it!! I have the enlightenment!! Four words:

WEAR GOOD HIKING SHOES!!

Took $5.00 for lunch (forgot my wallet in Orange County-thanks dad2be and Brewerman) left Summer Jam 2001 hosted by 100.3 the Beat CD ROM, and a package of Beefsteak Tomato seeds.

Bernie

*****en spot Bmcilvoy and Troycorr.

When I visited the Fort Phil Kearny virtual south of Sheridan, WY on vacation, I had the same type of feeling. I was envisioning all the various structures, what it would look like to be behind those walls with troops manning the entire perimeter. For a time, it felt as though I was there with them, and a major attack was about to begin, with sentries on the nearby hillsides relaying information on movements and where fortification was needed. Absolutely great area.

Brian

Team A.I.