Ammo Boxes

I have in the past used Ammo Boxes for caches, does anyone think that these boxes hidden around may cause undo fear in this post 911 world? I would hate for a non geocacher to panic and call the police if they say a green amo box under a fallen tree.

[This message was edited by twessels on July 02, 2002 at 03:32 PM.]

I think ammo boxes are just plain "more fun" to find. I've located 3 wet tuppercaches and 0 wet ammobox caches. The tupperware lids just dont seem to stand up to the elements. If I could find a cheap source for Lexan boxes with hinged locking lids and o-ring seals I'd try those. Most of the ones I've seen (in fly shops) have been small and expensive but would certainly make great caches.

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.

1. Label it clearly as a Geocache.

2. Hide it well. Less chance of accidental finds.

3. Use it only in appropriate areas. An ammo box for an urban cache is pretty stupid, but it's good for a middle-of-the-forest cache.

rdw

I've used tupperware for over 30 of my caches and just one ammo box. But I just bought 4 ammo boxes yesterday.

I agree that they need to be placed in the woods and no where near any buildings or manmade objects.

One good thing about tupperware caches, is when they get plundered they usually just leave the box there, ammo boxes dissapear.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

RDW wrote:

quote:
1. Label it clearly as a Geocache.

2. Hide it well. Less chance of accidental finds.

3. Use it only in appropriate areas. An ammo box for an urban cache is pretty stupid, but it's good for a middle-of-the-forest cache.

4. Place your contact information on the outside of the container, so the bomb squad can call you before they blow it up.

This goes for both tupperware and ammo boxes, really.

'''I wonder what Latitude or Longitude I've got to?' (Alice had no idea what Latitude was, or Longitude either, but thought they were nice grand words to say.)'' -- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

There I was, alone in the middle of a hiking park, with my ham radio on, a GPS running, an open ammo case, and in it was all the standard geocaching items i.e. logbook, pen, keychains and an aircraft map of the area I was in. Well I took the map because I dig aircraft maps of New Mexico and other areas like Area 51 etc. I unfolded it and immediately got interested in the features on the map and then realized....

Here I am with all this stuff and what it would appear to look like to a stranger to geocaching. I quickly folded the map up, traded items, dropped my bug, hid the cache etc. and got the hell out of there. I often wonder if the Al Queda types would actually use such a method of moving stuff. All I can say is I wouldn't put it past them

I've gotten 40 from cheaperthandirt.com & haven't had a bad one in the bunch. Price is great & delivery timely & inexpensive. Some of my caches have been out well over a year, & haven't had a single report of dampness in any cache. One has been logged in excess of 60 times, & the box looks like I just put it out yesterday. I won't use anything else. Been to my share of tupperware caches full of water.

"Gimpy"

I don’t think osama was intending to terrorize geocachers but it appears he has nonetheless. You see, if we all go around worrying and fretting over every little thing then the terrorists have won. Honestly, is an ammo can resting half under the leaves near a rotten stump going to be thought of as a bomb? I really don’t think the stump is a likely terrorist target. Stop stressing.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

An isolated location, a box, a map. Hmmm, linking up sleeper agents, or arranging a drug deal? Either way, someone inclined to be paranoid is going to come up with a conspiracy theory. Label it well. I found a pen that actually writes in enamel paint. Mine are labeled in white paint in bold letters. You need a white cane if you miss my white labels, even still, those so-inclined will come up with a bizarre theory, ignoring the plain label on the box, that involves some evil act.

Not worth stressing over, have fun.

quote:
Originally posted by husqui:

Here's a couple of places you can get them from over the net:

Cheaperthandirt.com

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1601&sku=ZAA%2D095&imgid=&mscssid=S758EUA784VU8MVCE6UJA3E0LW3QE0BB

Majorsurplusnsurvival.com

http://majorsurplusnsurvival.com/cgi/webc.cgi/store/st_main.html?catid=48

Just ordered some! icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

quote:
Originally posted by husqui:

Here's a couple of places you can get them from over the net:

Cheaperthandirt.com

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1601&sku=ZAA%2D095&imgid=&mscssid=S758EUA784VU8MVCE6UJA3E0LW3QE0BB

Majorsurplusnsurvival.com

http://majorsurplusnsurvival.com/cgi/webc.cgi/store/st_main.html?catid=48

Just ordered some! icon_smile.gif

I got permission from Varmint1 to reprint this excerpt from his cache page, it refers to a cache located in Northern CA (Migrating Fish), discovered by a passer by............

"I was out checking on the cache today and while reading the log found an entry from a non-geocacher. I thought that others who had already been here might be interested reading the entry, so here it is:

Dated 12/23/01

While out quail hunting, I looked west and noticed another truck parked next to mine. I watched curiously, hoping that the occupant wasn't a thief or vandal. Then I looked and noticed the box. No GPS, just the right place at the right time.

Although I found the box, I thought it strange. To be honest, I was scared to open it in light of all the terrorism. So I tried opening the box between a rock using a stick. Perhaps this box contained a homemade bomb. Finally, I gave up on the stick idea and worked up enough courage to open the latch. (I forgot to mention that I carried this box almost all the way to my truck.) Then I threw the box while hiding behind a rock. The box opened and what a surprise, toys? money? paper? I was puzzled.

Being the honest person I am, I decided to return the box and its contents to the odd shaped tree where I found it. Then before shutting the box I noticed the pad and pens and pencils. I carried everything back, wrote this note and got a good chuckle out of the whole thing.

My apology for denting the box. I didn't take anything but left a 1992 25 cent piece.

Terry Grafe

P.S. The truck was driven a game warden.

I was very lucky to have the cache found by a true gentleman! Terry, if I ever meet you I will be happy to buy you a beer.

Thank you!!

Varmint1"

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....

quote:
Originally posted by RobG:

You suppose it'd do any good to put, in large friendly letters on the box, "THIS IS NOT A BOMB!" or maybe a graphic showing an old style black ball bomb and fuse, with a red circle/slash through it? icon_smile.gif

Rob

I think it would have the same result as standing in line at airport security and yelling, "I DO NOT HAVE A BOMB ON ME!!!"

-WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

quote:
Originally posted by RobG:

You suppose it'd do any good to put, in large friendly letters on the box, "THIS IS NOT A BOMB!" or maybe a graphic showing an old style black ball bomb and fuse, with a red circle/slash through it? icon_smile.gif

Rob

I think it would have the same result as standing in line at airport security and yelling, "I DO NOT HAVE A BOMB ON ME!!!"

-WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

One of my favorite places for ammo boxes and most other things of the ilk:

Sportsman's Guide

Not only only do they sometimes have good deals on the cans, but if you happen to need a lot of ammo, you can get the can for free.

quote:
Originally posted by mikedx:

Where's the best place to get them?

Army surplus?

Thanks,

GPS Grasshopper

I have found that CLEAR rubbermaid containers will wick water into them because of condensation and you will always get it no matter what you do(its a fact of science) icon_rolleyes.gif. Ammo cans are the best but must be properly labeled with a GEOCACHE sticker so the bomb squad does not slap 1lb of plastic explosive to your cache and blow it into the great cache in the sky. icon_biggrin.gif

but those bomb techs will do it anyway just to blow things up. icon_cool.gif

I have found that CLEAR rubbermaid containers will wick water into them because of condensation and you will always get it no matter what you do(its a fact of science) icon_rolleyes.gif. Ammo cans are the best but must be properly labeled with a GEOCACHE sticker so the bomb squad does not slap 1lb of plastic explosive to your cache and blow it into the great cache in the sky. icon_biggrin.gif

Can you imagine the hole that 1lb of C4 would make?

I think they usually just blast them with an air or water cannon.

I also seem to remember reading a thread that made the statement that historically ammo cans have the same chance of being blown up as tupperware. Heck, it may have been this thread. I'm just way too lazy to check right now.

quote:
Originally posted by binrat:

Ammo cans are the best but must be properly labeled with a GEOCACHE sticker so the bomb squad does not slap 1lb of plastic explosive to your cache and blow it into the great cache in the sky. icon_biggrin.gif

I really doubt a sticker would stop anyone from blowing up a can if they thought is was a bomb. What's to stop a bomber from placing a sticker on his bomb?

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

quote:
Originally posted by binrat:

Ammo cans are the best but must be properly labeled with a GEOCACHE sticker so the bomb squad does not slap 1lb of plastic explosive to your cache and blow it into the great cache in the sky. icon_biggrin.gif

I really doubt a sticker would stop anyone from blowing up a can if they thought is was a bomb. What's to stop a bomber from placing a sticker on his bomb?

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

Was at WallyMart yesterday and came up with a new cache container....Colman water jugs with the big screw on lids in the 1 or 2 litre size. They are cheap, light, and water proof and INSULATED and will keep out condensation and will never leak or rust.icon_biggrin.gif

Was at WallyMart yesterday and came up with a new cache container....Colman water jugs with the big screw on lids in the 1 or 2 litre size. They are cheap, light, and water proof and INSULATED and will keep out condensation and will never leak or rust.:D

A big yellow Ryder moving truck delivered my ammo cans today from cheaperthandirt.com.

A little rusty but very doable. Hmmmmm what colors to paint 'em...... icon_confused.gif

Rubbermaid will have to survive without me for a little while.

A big yellow Ryder moving truck delivered my ammo cans today from cheaperthandirt.com.

A little rusty but very doable. Hmmmmm what colors to paint 'em...... icon_confused.gif

Rubbermaid will have to survive without me for a little while.

quote:
Originally posted by Dawgies:

Wow...a whole truckload?!?

Say, how about a couple of one-time caches that are just empty ammo cans...first one to find it keeps the can! I have a spare or two....

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

quote:

Say, how about a couple of one-time caches that are just empty ammo cans...first one to find it keeps the can! I have a spare or two....

That BIG YELLOW RYDER was only delivering 4 ammo cans. They definately has some cost management problems. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

quote:

That BIG YELLOW RYDER was only delivering 4 ammo cans. They definately has some cost management problems. icon_smile.gif

Somewhere I saw a neat bright orange label with GEOCACHE stenciled on it. It was real official looking. This would be a good freebit to download but I guess I'll just make a similar product if no one knows where to find one.

Has anyone seen those plastic old HOME DEPOT flags you staple to lumber? DANGER lumber sticking out? One of those would be cool in Geocache form.

terrorists? what terrorists? They ain't nothin but a bunch of scared chickens who like to sneak up on innocent unarmed people rather than face someone whose armed and can kick their ***. I'm betetr now :