Fully-Dedicated BookCrossing Cache

Well, it has been in the planning stages for over a month and it has finally been released. I believe that this is the first fully-BookCrossing dedicated Geocache.

It hasn't been approved yet, but here's the URL.

To say that it is a themed cache is putting it mildly...

I hope it gets a good/great response. It is in a wonderful and easily accessible area, so it should get a lot of traffic.

(*fingers crossed, chanting "I hope, I hope..."*)

I'd like to know what you all think? I'd love to see these all over the world, how about it?

My months-in-the-works Comics Cache will be set out on Sunday... I can hardly wait!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

trgadget.jpg

[This message was edited by The GeoGadgets Team on May 04, 2002 at 04:48 PM.]

The pictures and cache page have me trying to come up with an excuse to come caching in CA!

Lori, I've been contemplating a library/BookCrossing cache too. Could you e-mail me off-forum and let me know what kind of container you used? I know I won't get many books in my usual ammo can so I am looking for an alternative that will keep the books in good condition.

7996_300.jpg

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'

What a great idea! I'm not so sure I understand the Bookcrossing.com part of it, maybe because I think a book cache is cool all by itself. icon_smile.gif Is it that you get to see what others think of the books you've read and sent along?

I did one called "Some Light Reading" to introduce folks to a local author (Wilson Rawls, Where the Red Fern Grows), but the cache ended up disappearing early this spring. I've found myself still collecting books (mostly children's books)to restock it, so I guess that means I still really want to do a cache like this. Can we steal your idea? With credits, of course!

I'm finally getting my rock cache ready to go, so I know how excited you must feel to get a cache out there you've been working on for months!

shel

p.s. and in my book cache, I used a ziploc freezer bag for each book and then placed them in an ammo box with no problem... however, since we've been in drought conditions for, oh, a couple years, I'm not sure that's much of an indication ..

What a great idea! I'm not so sure I understand the Bookcrossing.com part of it, maybe because I think a book cache is cool all by itself. icon_smile.gif Is it that you get to see what others think of the books you've read and sent along?

I did one called "Some Light Reading" to introduce folks to a local author (Wilson Rawls, Where the Red Fern Grows), but the cache ended up disappearing early this spring. I've found myself still collecting books (mostly children's books)to restock it, so I guess that means I still really want to do a cache like this. Can we steal your idea? With credits, of course!

I'm finally getting my rock cache ready to go, so I know how excited you must feel to get a cache out there you've been working on for months!

shel

p.s. and in my book cache, I used a ziploc freezer bag for each book and then placed them in an ammo box with no problem... however, since we've been in drought conditions for, oh, a couple years, I'm not sure that's much of an indication ..

quote:
Originally posted by Shel:

Well, the the books registered at BookCrossing.com are in essence just like travel bugs. You register the books you have/have read and want to "release", you write the pertinent information like the registration number and your info inside the book's cover. When you release it, you post on the bookcrossing.com site the place and date it was "released to the wild". Then people (even non-geocachers) can search for released books they are interested in. Once they are found, the finder goes to the bookcrossing.com website, logs the find and from then on can log "notes", like what they thought of it after reading it and if and when they release it. You and anyone else who chooses to can check on the status and read the exploits of the book.

Very similar to a TB, but with a bit more adventure and no photos that I can see.

So, in essence, I've released 12 book travel bugs!

As for stealing... it isn't really my idea, I don't think. I got the idea from a THIS THREAD that Jeremy started. I thought of doing the books-only cache just seconds before reading tmac's post. So feel free to do one. Like I said, I'd like to see these all over the country/world!

I will be watching this cache carefully too, because my kids now want to do a bookcrossing.com Kids Only cache! It is harder to find real little kids paperback books though.

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website

quote:
Originally posted by Shel:

Well, the the books registered at BookCrossing.com are in essence just like travel bugs. You register the books you have/have read and want to "release", you write the pertinent information like the registration number and your info inside the book's cover. When you release it, you post on the bookcrossing.com site the place and date it was "released to the wild". Then people (even non-geocachers) can search for released books they are interested in. Once they are found, the finder goes to the bookcrossing.com website, logs the find and from then on can log "notes", like what they thought of it after reading it and if and when they release it. You and anyone else who chooses to can check on the status and read the exploits of the book.

Very similar to a TB, but with a bit more adventure and no photos that I can see.

So, in essence, I've released 12 book travel bugs!

As for stealing... it isn't really my idea, I don't think. I got the idea from a THIS THREAD that Jeremy started. I thought of doing the books-only cache just seconds before reading tmac's post. So feel free to do one. Like I said, I'd like to see these all over the country/world!

I will be watching this cache carefully too, because my kids now want to do a bookcrossing.com Kids Only cache! It is harder to find real little kids paperback books though.

----------

KF6VFI

GeoGadgets Team Website

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

I have purchased (way too) many books through the Scholastic Books Club order forms that come home with my kids from school. Ummm, in fact, their teachers don't just send them home, they tell MY kids, "make sure your Mom sees this ..." They will often have Caldecott and Newbery Medal winners in paperback (identified as such, of course, so you don't have to guess) as well as good buys on some of the popular series in paperback form. They will often have a few 95-cent specials as well -- this school year I picked up multiple copies of "The Little Prince" and HG Wells' "The Time Machine" specifically as cache prizes. So maybe that will help your kids as they plan their own book cache.

And if I check out BookCrossing.com, then maybe I will also get/find time to read again?