What about spoiler sites?

TVN

What is the consensus about cachers who post links to their personal sites which contain *complete* spoiler information? The examples I have seen include very specific cache locations and even final coordinates and solution keys for multi-caches. What should be done?

tvn.gif

The way I see it, the cache seekers only cheat themselves with a spoiler. I had this conversation yesterday with Team_Epitome. If we place a hard cache (and we do)..and someone uses a cheat to make it easier, we dont care because they are the ones that lose out on the adventure. I liken it to getting to the top of a big mountain with a scenic overlook at the top. You can climb up from the bottom, or you can drive up in a car. You know which you did. Does anyone really think that the easy way will make you feel more accomplished when all is said and done? I really dont care if anyone wants to cheat on a cache. It's obviously just about the numbers for them. I do think that they ought to stick to easy caches if thats their game..it would just make more sense.

I would have to agree with Macro on this one... If somebody wants to "cheat" it is up to them... this isn't really a numbers contest... for me it is personal accomplishmnet. I know what I did to find a cache... they are the only ones who have to live with the fact that they "cheated"... Not me, I don't care...

To put it really simply.... Geocaching is not a competition.

I've placed two very difficult caches. Each requires some fairly difficult geometry and puzzle solving. They're both designed to take at least a good portion of a day if not return trips. In both cases, I offer as much help as is desired, to the point of providing the cache coordinates. FOr this reason, if someone else placed the help I wouldn't mind.

After all, not everyone wants to be tempted. I recently hid this lengthy multi-cache which is very long (6 mile hike) and I posted a somewhat brief walk-thru at the site because I didn't think it fair to have people wandering & not knowing which trail to take, etc. the 6 mile hike could be 10 if I hadn't. Well.... I didn't even think about it, but the microcaches along the way give the final cache coordinates yet I basically told people the basic whereabouts of the final cache. One enterprising fellow (who is rather a bit floopy) icon_razz.gif went for a cache that coincidentally was placed quite close to the final cache. He figured this out from the logs, went for the other & then decided he would take a stab at it. despite the search area having a billion potential palces to be hidden, he found it. I encrypted his log (cause he stated the general vicinity of the find) and then removed the last paragraph of the walk-thru description. (I wrote up a 20 page walk thru which I freely make available for those who wish to seek it out because it takes them on a tour of some very interesting historical sites, and I tell them all about what it is they are seeing. If they want tor ead 20 pages of my book-report then I don't mind them knowing the basic whereabouts.)

team gwho

WUHOO TEAMGWHO!

After all, not everyone wants to be tempted. I recently hid this lengthy multi-cache which is very long (6 mile hike) and I posted a somewhat brief walk-thru at the site because I didn't think it fair to have people wandering & not knowing which trail to take, etc. the 6 mile hike could be 10 if I hadn't. Well.... I didn't even think about it, but the microcaches along the way give the final cache coordinates yet I basically told people the basic whereabouts of the final cache. One enterprising fellow (who is rather a bit floopy) icon_razz.gif went for a cache that coincidentally was placed quite close to the final cache. He figured this out from the logs, went for the other & then decided he would take a stab at it. despite the search area having a billion potential palces to be hidden, he found it. I encrypted his log (cause he stated the general vicinity of the find) and then removed the last paragraph of the walk-thru description. (I wrote up a 20 page walk thru which I freely make available for those who wish to seek it out because it takes them on a tour of some very interesting historical sites, and I tell them all about what it is they are seeing. If they want tor ead 20 pages of my book-report then I don't mind them knowing the basic whereabouts.)

team gwho

WUHOO TEAMGWHO!

After getting bit my a Lyme infested tick in my first month of geocaching last October, I do not cherish romping around in the bushes, lifting every rock, moving every dead log or sticking my hand in holes in the forest, looking under every cranny and moving every piece of grass to find the cache. Also, I don't like spending forever doing it especialy as I usually leave my wife in the car. For me the fun of the hunt is in researching at my PC, printing maps, routes and comparing street maps and topos and how to get to the site the best way. I enjoy pre-reading the posts to see if I'm even interested in going to a particular cache. I always print the clues (see first sentence above) and use them if it takes more then a few minutes in finding the cache. (Most aren't that great anyway but if they can help in reducing beating the bushes, I'm all for it - again see sentence one). I enjoy using the GPS to drive to the site the best way. And at the end of the day, downloading the tracks into NG Topo and Mapsource and saving files and making the whole hobby fun not just the last 5 minutes of the hunt.

Alan

My Good Fortune cache, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15931 has two ways to find it, easy, hard, and lucky. OK, three. What kind of person you are is exemplified by which method you use (though if you get lucky, so be it! icon_biggrin.gif So it doesn't bother me too much about people going the easy route. But if I place a difficult one (who, me icon_rolleyes.gif ?) it would be VERY rude of someone to go and post the cheat. Unfortunately we can't control what other people do, only how we ourselves deal with them. So if someone gets their rocks off by spoiling other people's fun, what can we do about it?

quote:

Additionally, I don't like to hide things completely out of sight. I don't want people rummaging through the woods mussing the place up, so generally my caches are visible from at least one angle, that is not covered up completely. Noone will find it who isn't looking and those who are don't have to wreck the place to do it.

King Pellinore

My Good Fortune cache, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15931 has two ways to find it, easy, hard, and lucky. OK, three. What kind of person you are is exemplified by which method you use (though if you get lucky, so be it! icon_biggrin.gif So it doesn't bother me too much about people going the easy route. But if I place a difficult one (who, me icon_rolleyes.gif ?) it would be VERY rude of someone to go and post the cheat. Unfortunately we can't control what other people do, only how we ourselves deal with them. So if someone gets their rocks off by spoiling other people's fun, what can we do about it?

quote:

Additionally, I don't like to hide things completely out of sight. I don't want people rummaging through the woods mussing the place up, so generally my caches are visible from at least one angle, that is not covered up completely. Noone will find it who isn't looking and those who are don't have to wreck the place to do it.

King Pellinore

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

give the final cache coordinates yet I basically told people the basic whereabouts of the final cache. One enterprising fellow (who is rather a bit floopy) icon_razz.gif went for a cache that coincidentally was placed quite close to the final cache. He figured this out from the logs, went for the other & then decided he would take a stab at it. despite the search area having a billion potential palces to be hidden, he found

The search area was bounded by a certain linear geological feature of that location. I think anyone would be able to find it within an hour or so if he or she knew that the cache was located in that feature. Not that hard. Just a matter of checking out some of the cracks and crevices in the rocks.

I have to admit that even though I took a major shortcut for that cache, it still a challenging hunt and lots of fun. The view is great from the top.

And yes, it was a short walk from two other caches near the same trail. Bonus!

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

give the final cache coordinates yet I basically told people the basic whereabouts of the final cache. One enterprising fellow (who is rather a bit floopy) icon_razz.gif went for a cache that coincidentally was placed quite close to the final cache. He figured this out from the logs, went for the other & then decided he would take a stab at it. despite the search area having a billion potential palces to be hidden, he found

The search area was bounded by a certain linear geological feature of that location. I think anyone would be able to find it within an hour or so if he or she knew that the cache was located in that feature. Not that hard. Just a matter of checking out some of the cracks and crevices in the rocks.

I have to admit that even though I took a major shortcut for that cache, it still a challenging hunt and lots of fun. The view is great from the top.

And yes, it was a short walk from two other caches near the same trail. Bonus!