Barking Up The Wrong Tree

opey one

Maybe I'm too compassionate, but I've seen a lot of posts that are entirely against "McToys" and such. I follow, though. Leave something more useful, or maybe signifigant, not a free item from a Happy Meal... Yes, I get it completely!!!My big fuzz is--Why dis the kiddie toys??? Unless a certain person goes through the drive thru ten times a day just for cache items, that's not good. But, I take my four year old and seven month old as well to cache finds. Guess what the first item is took?? A toy of some sort, regardless if it is a McToy or a high dollar item from Macy's (I don't know if Macy's sells toys or not, but just getting a point across).

See, I like to leave a trademark item, myself. I've seen opposition on stickers, but I have a collection of mining stickers I've accumulated over the years. I'm a coal miner and these stickers are dear to me, but I have left them (and will keep on leaving them) in every cache find. People in other states aren't familiar with my occupation and I think this is a unique item for one of those people to take.

As for the finds, I take only items that stand out to me, but mostly take nothing and leave my mining stickers and other trademark items that I think people would like to have. Then I let my kids take an item or two.

Maybe you all have had a gross accumulation of the fast food toys, but that works for me as long as it keeps my kids (sometimes cranky) happy. Hey, that's why they call it a "Happy Meal". Thanks, Geocacher that just came from McDonald's!! You just made my kid's (and my)day!!

I agree with you opey one. Kids do love the Happy Meal toys and whatever makes them happy makes the family trip a pleasant one. Our kids are all grown now, but we occasionally grab a Happy Meal toy when we trade, too. Everything goes into our geocaching treasure chest, which serves to remind us of some wonderful times spent together in some very special places . It's all just for fun, and none of it should be taken so seriously that we allow things like this to upset us. Unfortunately, I've seen some cachers more upset about the trinkets than the trash in the area. Go figure! Makes ya wonder where our priorities are. And if the trinkets bother them so much, I don't wanna be anywhere near them when they get laid off, either!

I don't have a problem with a new McToy in its original bag. I think that would be a great trade item. Toys of any kind are great to leave in a cache for the families who hunt together.

The problem I think most people have with McToys (and similar items) is when people leave dirty, broken, or otherwise obviously used stuff.

Another complaint I've heard often from cache owners is that they stock a cache with nice stuff and 6 months later it's filled with nothing BUT McToys.

I often leave toys in kid friendly caches and also place them in my own. Matchbox cars, boxes of crayons, water colors, small games and puzzles are among the things I've used. But I make sure they are new. They're cheap enough.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Kel

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 17, 2002 at 04:29 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

My kids also love to get a happy meal toy so we occasionally leave one. As a rule, we'll only leave one that's still in it's original bag, a duplicate. To leave a used one is a little tacky.

I agree, especially a used one that's broken.

As far as the mining stickers, it may help to somehow include a note with the history along with it, either in a ziplock or somehow attached. I find it interesting to know where something came from and why.

If you light a man a fire, he will be warm for a day; if you light a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

I once saw on the Antiques Road Show someone who brought in an old "McToy". They can actually gain value with the years if they are kept in the plastic bag and in great shape. Give them a few years and if it was a popular movie these toys will gain value. Some maybe worth $12.00 or more. There are people out there who actually trade and collect these toys. Just a little FYI. Don't unwrap that McToy if you arent' going to play with it.

I myself went to the dollar store the other day and picked up sewing kits, nail manicure sets, calculators, flashlight key chains, swimming goggles, and all kinds of stuff I thought might be nice to find in a cache, that weren't too big. And the owner of the store was very excited to hear about geocaching, as was the next customer in line (she was a captive audience) they both wan't to get a GPSr now.

And Opey one I am glad to see you have a great way to get some fresh air. You have a very hard job.

Cache you later,

Planet

I think something else that irks some people, is that when someone leave a single Toy for something thats worth more, If you putting lower valve items in a cache for more expensive items throw a few in not just a 1 for 1.

There are a few locals that when they cache they drop 3 toys and typically take the better prizes out, The kids in this group I dont really blame as much as the parents. But it degrades a cache real quick.

THere are times I end up droping 3 or 4 smaller itmes in a cache to comp for taking ( what I feel is a better ) item, the cache grows a little and it gives a few more things to choose from for the next cacher.

-Robert

ps - this isnt aimed at any one here, just me pointing outa few things.

The problem as I see it is that the McToys are representative of “trading down”. If I go to the trouble of placing something of value, either monetary or personal, in a cache, I’m disappointed to see someone traded a used MacRonalds/King Burger toy for it. Like opey1, I also like to leave items that relate to my work. Some are rare embroidered patches from squadrons that no longer exist. When I run out of them that’s it.

When I hide a cache I like to include trading stash for everyone, but especially for the kids. The game appeals to all ages but it’s the kids, who’ve been dragged through the woods and wore themselves out, that really enjoy the “treasure” aspect of geocaching. I’ve seen the frustration on their faces when they open the container and it’s full of crap even they don’t want. Then it’s all that much harder to get them out there again.

Yes, some kids love the HappyToys, but the older ones do not. The trick is to have an assortment. As for the “dollar store” items, well, that’s another rant I’ll stay away from for now........

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Caches are supposed to be self-sustating and self-improving. When we leave a new pocket knife or flashlight, I see it as degrading the cache to replace it with 3 plastic toys. Trade toys for toys = good. Trade nice adult itmes for many toys = bad. Soon the cache is nothing but little toys, fine for the kids, but I didn't leave a new adult type item for the kids. The first adult to find the cache gets a nice suprise and everyone else gets a plastic frog if they want to trade.

Yes I know, we don't have to trade. And many times we don't because there is nothing but toys in the cache. It is more fun though when we find a neat item and trade in kind.

cool_shades.gif ---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

icon_mad.gif

The problem with McToys is that they are often the only thing a cacher trades with. The cache will have tools or gadgets and the cacher will take something useful and replace it with a McToy, especially a used McToy. These really annoy others (including myself) as they pile up in the cache with subsequent TNLN logs and additional deposits of used McToys. Eventually the cache that was clever and had a theme or focus going on is just an ammo box full of various religious tracts and McToys (in other words its become a very special kind of satellite located geotrash can.) Its very disappointing to be at the end of a multi mile hike with multi miles to go back to your car, having spent the better part of the afternoon chasing the cache, only to find your target is a garbage can (albeit, satellite located). Remember the golden rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Cache placers: make more use of themes.

Cache visitors: Follow the theme in your trading.

Placers of McToys, remember: The proper place to deposit garbage is in a garbage can. Yours is not special and doesn't need to be placed in a "Geotrash" can, and its OK to TNLN.

Thanks for bearing with me on my rant.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

icon_mad.gif

The problem with McToys is that they are often the only thing a cacher trades with. The cache will have tools or gadgets and the cacher will take something useful and replace it with a McToy, especially a used McToy. These really annoy others (including myself) as they pile up in the cache with subsequent TNLN logs and additional deposits of used McToys. Eventually the cache that was clever and had a theme or focus going on is just an ammo box full of various religious tracts and McToys (in other words its become a very special kind of satellite located geotrash can.) Its very disappointing to be at the end of a multi mile hike with multi miles to go back to your car, having spent the better part of the afternoon chasing the cache, only to find your target is a garbage can (albeit, satellite located). Remember the golden rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Placers of McToys, remember: The proper place to deposit garbage is in a garbage can. Yours is not special and doesn't need to be placed in a "Geotrash" can, and its OK to TNLN.

icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by opey one:

I'm with you. Three elements guide my trading habits (which admittedly is TNLN more than not.)

1. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

2. I have faith in my own taste, I stock and maintain my caches with what I consider to be "nice stuff" and when I trade, I have no problem with giving a "nice item" and taking either nothing, or taking a "trash item" just to make room.

3. At essence, geocaching is a hunt with a reward at the end. I have no problem taking a nice price I find at the end. If what I have in my pocket that day is a trade-down, oh well. I'll make up for it karmicly in another cache. If a cache hider has item that they'll be upset if it's traded down, the item should be sold at market, not put in a cache.

ApK

quote:
Its very disappointing to be at the end of a multi mile hike with multi miles to go back to your car, having spent the better part of the afternoon chasing the cache, only to find your target is a garbage can.

I gotta agree. I'd rather find a micro cache with nothing in it but paper than have to dig through a bunch of dirty broken toys to find the log book (McToys in their bags don't fit this category though.)

Wow!! I've definately rattled some cages, for sure(bigredmed). Oh, but yes, I have to agree with you. I've seen the downfall of a couple of caches, too i.e. original cache contents super, then a month or two the container has a lot of those darned things (not gonna say the word, in fear of bigredmed listening icon_eek.gif). Yes, definately bad taste. And I strongly express, too if you are going on a hunt, have a variety of items to trade. We always do. Geocaching is the fun for all ages, right. I know someone who carries a backpack full of very cool items to trade, and makes me wish I would find the cache after him, but the idiot (my brother) is always with me when we go caching! To each his own, and be a little moderate on the kiddie toys!!!!Sounds like I'm changing my tune a little, but have to agree in a sence....But cannot completely rule out the MCTOYS!!!! That was for you, bigredmed icon_wink.gif

Wow!! I've definately rattled some cages, for sure(bigredmed). Oh, but yes, I have to agree with you. I've seen the downfall of a couple of caches, too i.e. original cache contents super, then a month or two the container has a lot of those darned things (not gonna say the word, in fear of bigredmed listening icon_eek.gif). Yes, definately bad taste. And I strongly express, too if you are going on a hunt, have a variety of items to trade. We always do. Geocaching is the fun for all ages, right. I know someone who carries a backpack full of very cool items to trade, and makes me wish I would find the cache after him, but the idiot (my brother) is always with me when we go caching! To each his own, and be a little moderate on the kiddie toys!!!!Sounds like I'm changing my tune a little, but have to agree in a sence....But cannot completely rule out the MCTOYS!!!! That was for you, bigredmed icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

quote:
Originally posted by opey one:

3. At essence, geocaching is a hunt with a reward at the end. I have no problem taking a nice price I find at the end. If what I have in my pocket that day is a trade-down, oh well. I'll make up for it karmicly in another cache. If a cache hider has item that they'll be upset if it's traded down, the item should be sold at market, not put in a cache.

ApK

This thinking is why caches degrade. If you're not at least part of sustaining a cache, you're part of degrading that cache.

cool_shades.gif ---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

This thinking is why caches degrade. If you're not at least part of sustaining a cache, you're part of degrading that cache.

http://216.40.241.68/contrib/edoom/cool_shades.gif ---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

You've either missed or ignored the parts where I said I DO upgrade caches, and upgrade my own caches regularly.

The rules of this game as posted on geocaching.com say if you take something, leave something. It doesn't specify cash value. If you're overly concerned with caches degrading (and you're not satisfied with the solution of upgrading them yourself) I say change the rules or play a different game. I'd bet I'm not alone in saying that if the rules were changed to what some people seem to want, I couldn't afford to play.

ApK

We don’t want to confuse rules with etiquette. The rules say “Take something leave something”; etiquette says “Don’t trade the golf ball you found near the driving range for an A-Rod rookie card”. In reality it’s up to the finder to trade or simply TNLN. Nobody (I hope!) was suggesting a rule change/addition.

I would also point out that “value” isn’t necessarily monetary.

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I would also point out that “value” isn’t necessarily monetary.

You're right, of course, and I think that's the major factor in all these threads of this type.

It seems that what a lot of people are trying to say is "C'mon everybody! Put stuff in caches that you know _I'll_ like!"

You've seen that when these discussions get down to just what constitues a fair trade, or even an appropriate item, there's wild disagreement.

That's why I said I have to be guided by own taste. Unless I do something clearly monetarily imbalanced, like take a McToy and leave a diamond ring, SOMEONE will feel that I've traded down when I might feel that the same trade was an improvement.

I mean, we all seem to agree on actual GARBAGE, but, really, how many folks are reading these messages and saying "Oh...I wasn't supposed to put that opened condom and empty Pepto-Bismol bottle in the cache? I had no idea...I'll stop that right now!"*

ApK

*Yes, I've found those in a cache.

It is frustrating. But, as pointed out in many posts, it's going to happen. I know I've had my fill of golf balls.

I just recently placed a cache filled with very nice goodies. I know it will degrade over time (though our area is pretty good about this), so I bought twice as much as I needed for the cache and will "refresh" my cache as part of my regular maintenance.

I don't think the monetary value is what most people here are looking for. I think it's the WOW value. The COOL ITEM value. They certainly don't have to be expensive. To some the reward is the hike; to others it's a momento.

Look, you put a lot of thought into which GPS you were going to buy. You put a lot of thought into selecting and finding the cache. Many put a lot of thought into their logs. All players are asking is that you put a little thought into your trades.

You carry water, GPS, pack, camera, etc. Why not carry a few trinkets of different values for trading. Will everyone agree on that value? No. But if you deliberately trade down (and you know it when you do it), you're just hurting the sport.

To me, keeping the appeal of the cache up is as important to geocaching as a GPS. But be careful. Make it too appealing and the contents will probably be plundered. That's why we trade valueless "trinkets".

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

But if you deliberately trade down (and you know it when you do it), you're just hurting the sport.

I found a guitar slide once. I'd bet that anyone who didn't know what it was would look at it and say "who would put this piece of scrap metal in the cache?!"

ApK

I have to say Shadow and I are both just big kids we like toys. lol I have no problem with the McToy items even if they are used as long as they are clean whole and functional (I want to play with them) there are certain characters that I enjoy collecting. (I don't use the nick solely because i'm a depressed *ss, thats only part of it and no i'm not blue or grey!) But I definately think if you have a pack full of McToys I don't care if you leave them all its not a fair trade for an adult item with any monetary value. Trade toys for toys and adult items for adult items. Someone has gone to the trouble of stocking hiding and posting a chache so that visitors can enjoy it not profit from it.

We picked up a minni frizbee from a cache two weeks ago played with it a few tiems through the week and dropped it in another cache this past weekend. It may have a new grass stain or two but what frizbee doesn't? We enjoyed it and hope that someone else will as well.

I've got a stuffed felix head (another favorite character)on a suction cup that I'm just dieing to drop in a cache that needs something for kids and is large enough to hold it!

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

I really don't like McToys because they are so, so, ubiquitous. They're everywhere. Caching takes me away from the omnipresent mercantile America where we are so cross-marketed that little kids see the junk food/movie/toy world as one big happy meal that, let's see, clogs heart valves/kills reading for pleasure/dulls imagination. There are a lot of items that kids can take from caches that don't reinforce the constant background noise of corporate marketing to youth.

Leave a fishing lure near a favorite area you fish, so Dad or Mom can take them out to try angling, leave a kid's field guide to whatever, leave a cool blacksmith's puzzle, leave a geode for a kid to wonder how it was formed, leave foreign coins or notes, leave ... well you get the idea. If the treasure is important, leave an important (read imaginative) treasure for the kid.

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

quote:

It is frustrating. But, as pointed out in many posts, it's going to happen. I know I've had my fill of golf balls.

I just recently placed a cache filled with very nice goodies. I know it will degrade over time (though our area is pretty good about this), so I bought twice as much as I needed for the cache and will "refresh" my cache as part of my regular maintenance.

I don't think the monetary value is what most people here are looking for. I think it's the WOW value. The COOL ITEM value. They certainly don't have to be expensive. To some the reward is the hike; to others it's a momento.

Look, you put a lot of thought into which GPS you were going to buy. You put a lot of thought into selecting and finding the cache. Many put a lot of thought into their logs. All players are asking is that you put a little thought into your trades.

You carry water, GPS, pack, camera, etc. Why not carry a few trinkets of different values for trading. Will everyone agree on that value? No. But if you deliberately trade down (and you know it when you do it), you're just hurting the sport.

I tend to agree...trade up and try to stay with the theme. However, I am not going to count pennies either (Funny, BNL "If I had a million Dollars" just came on).

Anyway, there have been caches where I've found a cool tool or something else I wanted, but had nothing to trade of even monetary value. Did I trade?

Yes, but what we leave in trade (our signature item) is an uncleaned ancient Roman coin. Are they worthless? I have to buy them, so I say no. Do they cost as much as say a leathermans tool or a pocket knife?

No. However, their value (from my viewpoint) is worth alot more. Ancient Greece and Rome are hobbies of mine. We place these coins in the hopes that someone will take them and clean them. These coins, once cleaned, may reveal an emporer/caesar. This may lead the person to learn about era, the region, etc. There is much knowledge to be uncovered under the dirt and that knowledge is more valuable than a pocket knife. And, if the person does not want to learn, then they can take it to another cache and trade it. Either way, it is a trade up as far as I am concerned.

Again, this is my perspective. Yours may be different. How do I feel when I come across an older cache that has degraded to a bunch of golf balls and broken McToys? Well, I feel sorry that the cache owner cannot afford to upkeep his cache (or in some cases, have the time to maintain all the caches they own) and sorry for the cache players who just don't get it.

Bear & Ting icon_cool.gif

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

quote:

I tend to agree...trade up and try to stay with the theme. However, I am not going to count pennies either (Funny, BNL "If I had a million Dollars" just came on).

Anyway, there have been caches where I've found a cool tool or something else I wanted, but had nothing to trade of even monetary value. Did I trade?

Yes, but what we leave in trade (our signature item) is an uncleaned ancient Roman coin. Are they worthless? I have to buy them, so I say no. Do they cost as much as say a leathermans tool or a pocket knife?

No. However, their value (from my viewpoint) is worth alot more. Ancient Greece and Rome are hobbies of mine. We place these coins in the hopes that someone will take them and clean them. These coins, once cleaned, may reveal an emporer/caesar. This may lead the person to learn about era, the region, etc. There is much knowledge to be uncovered under the dirt and that knowledge is more valuable than a pocket knife. And, if the person does not want to learn, then they can take it to another cache and trade it. Either way, it is a trade up as far as I am concerned.

Again, this is my perspective. Yours may be different. How do I feel when I come across an older cache that has degraded to a bunch of golf balls and broken McToys? Well, I feel sorry that the cache owner cannot afford to upkeep his cache (or in some cases, have the time to maintain all the caches they own) and sorry for the cache players who just don't get it.

Bear & Ting icon_cool.gif

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

I don't mind McToys. I don't like finding trash. If a cacher wants to leave McToys, fine, but they need to take something of lesser or equal "value."

I usually prefer to take the the smaller, cheaper items - usually pins or little toys for my kids. After 350+ finds, I'm not really into it for the "stuff," and I really can't afford to trade "nice" (ie, expensive) things very often. So I appreciate McToys, as long as they're new.

As for used golf balls - My 4-year old son, Curly Tiger, usually takes them.

McToy or not, conscientious cachers should leave something at least as nice as they took. This is something newbies sometimes take a while to learn. I look back at some of my early trades, and I'm a bit embarrassed by what I took/left. I try to sort of make up for it now.

25021_1200.gif

On one hike last spring, we found a P-38 (military can opener). Our son thought it was some kind of box cutter, and my husband and I were thrilled! He had been looking for one for a long time, and now has it on his keyring. Thanks! But... how many others would have known what that tiny bit of metal was? It might have easily been trashed on a clean-out maintenance trip.

Oh oh oh icon_eek.gif I knew what P-38 is icon_smile.gif

and

"Oh...I wasn't supposed to put that opened condom and empty Pepto-Bismol bottle in the cache? I had no idea...I'll stop that right now!"*

Might have to use that in my sig, it had me rolling for a while. icon_biggrin.gif Pretty darn funny ApK

migo_sig_logo.jpg

and

"Oh...I wasn't supposed to put that opened condom and empty Pepto-Bismol bottle in the cache? I had no idea...I'll stop that right now!"*

Might have to use that in my sig, it had me rolling for a while. icon_biggrin.gif Pretty darn funny ApK

migo_sig_logo.jpg

and

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Orginally posted by Metaphor:

quote:
I really don't like McToys because they are so, so, ubiquitous. They're everywhere. Caching takes me away from the omnipresent mercantile America where we are so cross-marketed that little kids see the junk food/movie/toy world as one big happy meal that, let's see, clogs heart valves/kills reading for pleasure/dulls imagination. There are a lot of items that kids can take from caches that don't reinforce the constant background noise of corporate marketing to youth.

I agree with those who say emphasis should be on interesting and unique trades, not necessarily high-priced ones. It's really not about actual dollar value. I'd love to find opey one's mining stickers or one of Bear and Ting's Roman coins or a patch from Criminal. To me, these types of trades personalize the experience by allowing fellow geocachers to not only enjoy the comraderie of a shared interest but also allow a glimpse into the personalities of the other players.

I have kids too so I'm not against toys at all. We have kid trades but try to pick out unique items that hopefully aren't something most kids already have 3 of in the bottom of their toybox. The kids help pick out their trade items and like coming up with *cool* things that they'd enjoy finding.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

I myself went to the dollar store the other day and picked up sewing kits, nail manicure sets, calculators, flashlight key chains, swimming goggles, and all kinds of stuff I thought might be nice to find in a cache, that weren't too big. And the owner of the store was very excited to hear about geocaching, as was the next customer in line (she was a captive audience) they both wan't to get a GPSr now.

And Opey one I am glad to see you have a great way to get some fresh air. You have a very hard job.

Cache you later,

Planet

How exactly do you explain Geocaching to people unfamiliar with it, and the technology of GPS? I picked up some items last night for a cache I'm going to hide this weekend, and my interaction with the cashier went something like this

Cashier: "What's with all the little knicknacks?"

Me: "Wellllll, it's sort of a hobby of mine, called 'Geocaching'. What happens is a person hides a container with various items in it somewhere, and then they go onto the internet and post coordinates for the 'cache'. (Getting blank stare already) When a person wants to find the hidden treasure, they use a thing called a GPS to track the spot down, using those coordinates."

Cashier: "ummmm ok"

Me: "It's kind of hard to explain, but it's a really good time."

(silence until I'm gathering up my bags)

Cashier: "Ummm have fun with that treasure thingy."

I've started to carry around extra pencils, pencil sharpeners, laminated cache notes and note books. I have found a number of caches where the log books are full or wet, there is nothing to write with(pencils don't dry out, unlike pens), or the cache note is destroyed. Not everyone is good about cache maintence, so this helps other cachers.

quote:

Cache you later,

Planet

How exactly do you explain Geocaching to people unfamiliar with it, and the technology of GPS? I picked up some items last night for a cache I'm going to hide this weekend, and my interaction with the cashier went something like this

Cashier: "What's with all the little knicknacks?"

Me: "Wellllll, it's sort of a hobby of mine, called 'Geocaching'. What happens is a person hides a container with various items in it somewhere, and then they go onto the internet and post coordinates for the 'cache'. (Getting blank stare already) When a person wants to find the hidden treasure, they use a thing called a GPS to track the spot down, using those coordinates."

Cashier: "ummmm ok"

Me: "It's kind of hard to explain, but it's a really good time."

(silence until I'm gathering up my bags)

Cashier: "Ummm have fun with that treasure thingy."

I did relatively the same thing but I pulled out the Garmin Legend and showed them. I think the lady had a car that came with a GPSr. Those are no good because they don't come out of the car!

quote:

Yes, some kids love the HappyToys, but the older ones do not. The trick is to have an assortment. As for the “dollar store” items, well, that’s another rant I’ll stay away from for now........

Hey, I took a long time in that store to make sure I wasn't buying crap no one would want. I also put jewelry into caches and have been making some beautiful handcrafted items for future caches but they are fragile and I have to find some kind of mini container that won't crush to put them in before I can put them in a cache. I do understand the McToy fuss. When I first started caching I thought it was all about McToys, that's all we were finding. I didn't find the forums until much later and this is the first and only time I've ever gotten involved in any kind of forum. I even said yes to a friend in the beginning when she offered me a bag of McToys, now I'm stuck with them. I won't use them.

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:

I did relatively the same thing but I pulled out the Garmin Legend and showed them. I think the lady had a car that came with a GPSr. Those are no good because they don't come out of the car!

Cache you later,

Planet

I guess that was the difference, I'd left my GPSr in the car, I guess I should keep it with me at all times. icon_smile.gif As for the lady with the built in GPSr, she could always drive around in the woods until she gets close then start searching around. Low impact caching what? She probably wouldn't want to scratch up her Mercedes/Lexus/BMW/Caddy whatever though. icon_smile.gif

(BTW I forgot to log out of the team name on this post.....this is actually Mr. 0)

[This message was edited by M&M Speedracers on September 21, 2002 at 12:46 PM.]

quote:

Cache you later,

Planet

I guess that was the difference, I'd left my GPSr in the car, I guess I should keep it with me at all times. icon_smile.gif As for the lady with the built in GPSr, she could always drive around in the woods until she gets close then start searching around. Low impact caching what? She probably wouldn't want to scratch up her Mercedes/Lexus/BMW/Caddy whatever though. icon_smile.gif

(BTW I forgot to log out of the team name on this post.....this is actually Mr. 0)

[This message was edited by M&M Speedracers on September 21, 2002 at 12:46 PM.]

There are at least two reasons that I enjoy geocaching: 1) The 5 mile search through unfamiliar areas and 2) the indirect discovery of people.

Sometimes the hunt provides both. A clever urban microcache can say much about the cache owner. Her creativity and resourcefulness are on display for the finders.

The cache contents reveal the people who created and visited the cache. The melted chapstick, the gold coin, and the broken Happy Meal toy each says something about the cacher who left it. We can review the logs, find who the person is, and over time come to know a part of them without meeting them, and we learn about our local geocaching community. To me this was an unexpected result, and one I enjoy.

So I say, put whatever you want in the cache. Trade up, trade down, trade the way you want to trade at that moment, and occassionally throw in the toys for the kids. You will be telling the local geocaching community who their neighbor is.

BTW, if I find a cache full of golf balls, I'll figure my community belongs the to wrong country club, and I should consider relocating.

V7L

[This message was edited by V7L on September 21, 2002 at 03:13 PM.]

quote:

posted September 21, 2002 01:42 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Planet,

what is it about dollar store items that you don't like. I don't need one, but compared to a dirty golfball, a brand new, in the package calculator is like gold.

---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

I have nothing against them it was Criminal up above. I just don't know how to reply to these adding the quote part. I copied and pasted and must have mixed it all up. I'm the one that went there to stock up on small stuff I thought would be cool for a cache and would fit in one too. And I had to open the calculator today to use it. Oops. Math is not my forte.

Cache you later,

Planet

It's funny, many of the "adult" treasures listed are the kinds of things that give us a little frowny face when we open a cache and don't find any "fun" stuff inside. We like toys, they're fun. A pen, mini flashlight or keychain we could probably do without. But that's o.k., we just don't take those things, thereby leaving them for those who might like them.

I guess it just shows that everyone comes to this with their own very different points of view. Interesting that such a wide variety of people can all agree that geocaching is fun!

Blarndon + Bagger

quote:
Originally posted by Metaphor:

Dulls imagination? Metaphor hasn't watched my kids play with Happy Meal toys. They use them the way they were intended for about 5mS then their imagination takes over. (Don't you just hate it when those big-bad corporations market?)

I'm finding this entire conversation enlightening so I'm loathe to ask the question that must not be asked. What dollar value do you shoot for when shopping around for cache items? I use a range of $1.50-$2.50. This makes the items affordable enough that I can keep doing this, but not cheap junk either. I also look for things that have a broad appeal.

What guidelines do you use?

Very rarely do I find something interesting enough to trade for. I found one loaded die once. I still have that. I don't remember what I traded for it but what is one loaded die worth? It wasn't new, it was used and worn.

Is it worth a McToy. I don't carry McToys so I don't trade them. Is it worth.... keychain, a Koosh ball, a puzzle pen, a hotwheels car, a deck of cards, a george dollar, two george dollars, a space blanket, a waterproof match case?

If it's something you want it's going to be worth more than something you're willing to trade for it. But to someone else it may not be worth it.

Many people would have looked at one used loaded dice and thought of it as trash, others like me would think it was cool.

Kids love the McToys, even used ones. I don't trade much but I don't have anything against McToys.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif