Why don't people log not found?

Couple weeks ago I went to Pleasanton for a personal cache-athon. icon_smile.gif It was not the best possible trip, I got NFs on 4 caches. icon_frown.gif I logged all four. icon_biggrin.gif I've heard back from three of the cache hiders, and the caches are definitely still there. icon_redface.gif (In three cases, I suspected it was, in the fourth, I'm still surprised I couldn't find it. icon_redface.gif)

But I still think that logging them was a good thing. icon_biggrin.gif

I encourage it: if you looked for the cache, log an NF, even if you assume it was your failure to find the cache rather than the cache not being there.

Couple weeks ago I went to Pleasanton for a personal cache-athon. icon_smile.gif It was not the best possible trip, I got NFs on 4 caches. icon_frown.gif I logged all four. icon_biggrin.gif I've heard back from three of the cache hiders, and the caches are definitely still there. icon_redface.gif (In three cases, I suspected it was, in the fourth, I'm still surprised I couldn't find it. icon_redface.gif)

But I still think that logging them was a good thing. icon_biggrin.gif

I encourage it: if you looked for the cache, log an NF, even if you assume it was your failure to find the cache rather than the cache not being there.

I regard the logs made as contemporaeneous records of cache trips. I don't feel a failure logging a frownie, I just feel frustrated.

Recently on Hols doing Heavens Gate Wilts we spent at least an hour searching, to no avail. Later in the week I went back approached from a new direction and walked right into it.

For the kids and me the lessons were more important than the cache. Persistance (in looking), Honesty (in logging the frownie) , and clear thinking ( in trying again from a different angle). The two logs a few days apart will always remind us of that.

Shares in Tupperware? Be a Geocacher!

My question is this: Why won't people log a cache as "not found" when they don't find it

I almost never log a 'Not Found'. It has always seemed a waste of time. I just go home and pout and cry. After sticking pins in some voodoo dolls I feel better.

At first I failed to find about 30% now I find all but about 15%. I have learned to avoid caches placed by certain teams and individuals as they are just too clever for me.

It never occured to me that a cache owner would monitor the cache page to see if it had gone missing.

Reevaluating my attitude around 'Not Found' seems indicated.

Hotfoot,

Not only do not founds indicate to the owner that there might be something worth checking on...

But as Joe Geocacher, I like to read not found logs... just to see what other cachers go through.

I've missed my share of caches, and I like to know I'm not the only one. Occasionally I'll go to the most recent logs page, and do you know which logs I read? Not all those found logs. Those are boring and usually say not much more than "found it, nice cache." The not found logs are many times more interesting.

Jamie