Why don't people log not found?

Beautiful post, Travis.

My thoughts exactly.

Regarding the out-of-gas situation. I didnt run out of gas, but at this cache I logged a no-find because of traffic and an uncoopertive ferry.

icon_sad.gifJuly 13, 2001 by Jamie Z (68 found)

Stayed at the St. Bernard State Park, where my eTrex said I was about 12 miles away. I told my friend with me that I'd be back in an hour to an hour and a half. After waiting to cross the river on the ferry and dealing with traffic and road construction, I finally got within half a mile of the stash from the main road. I'd already been gone for more than an hour, so I decided to skip the search and drive back to the park where my friend was waiting. I wish I had more time, but I was decieved by the terrain, thinking it would be a quick trip.

Jamie

Why don't people log not found? It's an ego thing. We don't want to feel stupid because we couldn't do something someone else has done. And we especially don't want anyone else to know.

If I've made an attempt to find a cache, but didn't actually find it, I post a not found. Can't find parking? Not found. Pre-school caching companion has to go potty? Not found. Old printout with wrong coordinates? Not found.

I post a note if I want to make a comment that doesn't involve an actual attempt to find the cache.

25021_1200.gif

Fair enough I will log a DNF on the cache page of the one I missed. I guess leaving the house constitutes an active hunt. By the way the batteries mentioned were fresh out of the package.Must have been on the shelf for some time. Ever try returning something like that? Here's a little side note. I've been doing benchmarks as well and have 4 DNF's as to my 2 finds. DNF's on benchmarks do not show on my cache page although they do on the BM page. I think it would be good if they did. It would make it easier for me to keep track of the ones I may want to retry since I purge DNF's from my over-crowded waypoint list.

We logged a DNF because we got busted by other cachers on the hunt. If they had not mentioned meeting us in their DNF log, would have just said that it was our second attempt when we logged in after finding it the next day.

Sure, it's an ego thing. Being honest...get over it.

As has been said before some not founds are the most memorable caches. Here is on of our best not founds

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maria: The sign says there is a bull in the field

Chris: No everyone said there wasn't one in the logs - it's just what farmers do to scare away Geocachers

Maria: Are you sure that none of them are bulls

Chris: Yup

Maria: Even the one with Horns

Chris: hmmm

Maria: are you sure it isn't a Bull?

Chris: What this one giving me the evil eye and pointing his pointy things in my direction

Maria yes, that's the one I thought was a Bull

Chris: yup, tha'll be the one comming towards us

Maria: I'll be the one climbing back over the fence

Chris: not if I get there first!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

I have been taking to searching more for benchmarks so far than going after the, ony 3 or 4, caches close to me. There are more of them and they offer some interesting experiences due to the historical nature and scenic placement of some of them. They, of course, are a little different but your point is somewhat relevent there too. If I actively set out to FIND the mark, GPS in hand and the clue sheets with me... than, if I don't find the mark I might be inclined to post a NF. The other day, on the other hand, I set out, not so much to find A MARK, but a series of marks on a former military base near me. The base was closed several years ago and is being redeveloped. Enough has been completed that you can now access the property and drive around. Knowing the situation with a lot of demolition and construction and relandscaping... I know some of those marks will never be found. Others will not be immediately accessable because they may be behind fences where there is heavy construction. I took a trip out there just to drive through and check the status and accessability of a few recorded locations. Since I didn't actually attempt to FIND the marks I posted my findings as a Post As Note(?). I took a few pictures showing the areas. I am now going to try and get permission or assistance from the developers and make an actual attempt on a few.

In another thread on the Benchmarking topic, I have posted a couple of replies to a similar topic suggesting that a couple other catagories be added to Benchmark Hunting to make logging a little more clearer. This thread here makes me give it a little more thought as you all have presented some great points about the versatility of the Not Found classification. One situation I found was locating a guard house at one of the gates from the base. I located the gate area, went down the street, The gates are still there. Red Lights and all. They are open now and I went into the property to where the guard house should be. The GPS indicated 157' to the East. Behind a fenced posted area that says No Tresspassing. The field there is clear, no buildings and it is clear that the marker might not exist anymore as it was mounted vertical in a brick wall of a building that has be torn down. I Posted this as Info since I intend to go back and try to get permission to determine if the marker may have been relocated to a stone or something on the site. Thus, I didn't mark it YET as NF. If I conclusively determine that it IS GONE or that I can't find it I would probably feel it is a NF. That though is where, With Benchmarking, there might be some justification for catagories to indicate the confirmable or conclusive determination that a marker has been removed, destroyed, demolished or stolen... However, the points here indicate that NF might still be sufficient since I could use my notes to indicate why the marker is not found. For example, Not Found, Guard House at the South Gate is no longer there. Property is undergoing massive redevelopement and the area has been somewhat redeveloped... Of course, as I understand, with benchmark hunting NF is not recorded in your stats(?). I seem to think only the founds are. Thus they may not balance against your record(?).

I suppose there is no real harm then just logging NF with an adequate explaination of the circumstances. I still have a feeling though that if a finder goes out and tries to not just find markers, but also varify those that are no longer there, there should be some record of, at least those that were confirmed NO LONGER PRESENT. That would be in addition to NF which could be indicative that the marker may still be there but just couldn't be found. Something like NO LONGER PRESENT would indicate that say a water tower that WAS THE MARKER is no longer there etc.

I am going to post a link to this thread with my other posts. Again, I have found all your comments very helpful.

quote:
Originally posted by Orange:

If I get out of the car to begin, then a note will be put on the cache page. But I don't put it as a NOT FOUND until I enter search mode. To me it can't be a not found until I actually start to look for it. That is the rule I use.

My most extreme note was: I got to about 200 feet and it was getting real dark real fast and the arrow was pointing off a steep slope. It was a note to me because I hadn't actually begun the search yet.

We all play by our own rules and that is mine. But I find nothing wrong with NOT FOUNDS, I even list mine on my profile.

My rule is this:

If I get to ground zero with my GPS and don't find the cache, it is a not found. Period. No screwing around with 2nd or 3rd try out or any other lame excuses. If you looked for it and didn't find it it is a not found!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I totally agree with travsl's reasons for logging a did not find. "Did not find" does not mean "I'm a loser", it means I went out after the Geocache but did not find it. On several cache hunts, I've walked right up to the cache and found it in seconds - still a good cache, but hardly an ego booster. The ones where we didn't find the cache were the epic journeys that we still talk about.

This is actually one of the first Geocaches I've searched for. We didn't reach "ground zero" and we still plan on going back for a 2nd attempt (someday), but I still felt I had several good reasons to log a "Not Found".

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16910

1. Sharing the fun and funny story of our caching adventure.

2. Warning to other cache seekers: Bugs and weeds in abundance so take appropriate action.

3. Comment to cache seekers and cache hider: We thought the cache is harder to get to than the 2 star terrain indicates.

4. Advice to other cachers to consider a non-direct route closer to the lake.

As far as pride is concerned, frankly I'm more proud of this "did not find" than most of the geocaches I have found. And frankly the "did not find" just fires me up to go out after this one when I get the chance. icon_biggrin.gif

I totally agree with travsl's reasons for logging a did not find. "Did not find" does not mean "I'm a loser", it means I went out after the Geocache but did not find it. On several cache hunts, I've walked right up to the cache and found it in seconds - still a good cache, but hardly an ego booster. The ones where we didn't find the cache were the epic journeys that we still talk about.

This is actually one of the first Geocaches I've searched for. We didn't reach "ground zero" and we still plan on going back for a 2nd attempt (someday), but I still felt I had several good reasons to log a "Not Found".

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16910

1. Sharing the fun and funny story of our caching adventure.

2. Warning to other cache seekers: Bugs and weeds in abundance so take appropriate action.

3. Comment to cache seekers and cache hider: We thought the cache is harder to get to than the 2 star terrain indicates.

4. Advice to other cachers to consider a non-direct route closer to the lake.

As far as pride is concerned, frankly I'm more proud of this "did not find" than most of the geocaches I have found. And frankly the "did not find" just fires me up to go out after this one when I get the chance. icon_biggrin.gif

If I make a serious attempt to find a cache (ie, ground zero on the coords), I'm either getting a smilie or a frownie. If I can't find it, but I'm gonna hit it again tomorrow, I won't log anything til my last trip (unless I want a hint, and then it's usually an email to someone first).

If I get to the parking lot and decide I'm too tired, and 10 caches is enough for today, I don't log anything. I mean, who cares? Use the log for cache-related stuff.

If a person's ego is so fragile that you can't bear the thought of someone else (who you probly don't even know!) thinking you're less than perfect, GET OFF THE PEDESTAL... WE NEED THE MARBLE! icon_smile.gif

Some of my not-founds make me end up looking purty stupid. So what? I get a laugh out of it just like the next guy, and often I *was* being stupid on that hunt. And occasionally (APE #5) they help fix problems. Log it, get a laugh, get a clue, and go find it.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

If I make a serious attempt to find a cache (ie, ground zero on the coords), I'm either getting a smilie or a frownie. If I can't find it, but I'm gonna hit it again tomorrow, I won't log anything til my last trip (unless I want a hint, and then it's usually an email to someone first).

If I get to the parking lot and decide I'm too tired, and 10 caches is enough for today, I don't log anything. I mean, who cares? Use the log for cache-related stuff.

If a person's ego is so fragile that you can't bear the thought of someone else (who you probly don't even know!) thinking you're less than perfect, GET OFF THE PEDESTAL... WE NEED THE MARBLE! icon_smile.gif

Some of my not-founds make me end up looking purty stupid. So what? I get a laugh out of it just like the next guy, and often I *was* being stupid on that hunt. And occasionally (APE #5) they help fix problems. Log it, get a laugh, get a clue, and go find it.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

I haven't actually logged any caches yet but regarding benchmarks that I have done some looking for, and I would assume caches as well, my feeling here is that when you log a NOT FOUND, that triggers some responses from the cache owner or other seekers. For example, if a cache owner sees a Not Found entry, he/she might think they need to go check the cache for some problem. I, personally, would not log a not found unless I got to the area of the cache (waypoint) and actually looked for it. I wouldn't want to give an impression that there might be a problem with the placement if I had never been able to try and find the cache. As was the case with my most recent searches, I couldn't get to the locations because of construction fences and tresspass warnings. Therefore I was not able to actually get to the area to confirm the existance or removal of a benchmark. Therefore, feeling that my information could be valuable to other seekers I posted as information. I do plan to go back and attempt to get closer. At that point I would log a not found if I determine that with some more direct attempt I could not locate a benchmark. Same, I think would be applicable to caches. If you don't actually make it to the site because of a steep drop or lack of a canoe or other obstical you might post the information if it is not mentioned in the clues and could be valuable to prepare other seekers. I would think, Not Found should be reserved for your instances where you got there but the cache could not be located.

quote:
Web-ling states:

Why don't people log not found? It's an ego thing. We don't want to feel stupid because we couldn't do something someone else has done. And we especially don't want anyone else to know.

If I've made an attempt to find a cache, but didn't actually find it, I post a not found. Can't find parking? Not found. Pre-school caching companion has to go potty? Not found. Old printout with wrong coordinates? Not found.

I post a note if I want to make a comment that doesn't involve an actual attempt to find the cache

DITTO! Doesnt make any sense any other way to me. One person stated that if he felt he didnt search hard enough then he wouldnt post it as a Not Found! Some say that it got dark or their batteries went dead so they didnt post as a Not Found. Some say they wouldnt post anything if they didnt find it on the first try and figured they were going back. To my notion, these are all Not Founds. I cant see it any other way!

If you punch in the coordinates, press the GoTo button, and proceed to go in that general direction, then you started a search. You either complete the search or you dont!!!

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

My rule is this:

If I get to ground zero with my GPS and don't find the cache, it is a not found. Period. No screwing around with 2nd or 3rd try out or any other lame excuses. If you looked for it and didn't find it it is a not found!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

This is exactly how I feel.

My NFs break down into two types:

1. Caches that are AWOL.

2. Caches that were right in front of me, but I failed to find them. When I later find these caches, I do not delete my NF log.

Oviously, it is important to log a NF for caches that are missing or have serious problems that cause the cache to not be found (large coord error, obstacles to the cache that were not present when placed, et al).

As a cacher with some amount of experience, however, I can't tell which caches are missing and which caches I merely could not find. Therefore, I try to post a NF for all caches that I could not find.

This log typically states, 'I am a failure, I looked and looked but it evaded me...'

quote:
Originally posted by JeepsOnly:

I sometimes won't log a "not found" because I plan on going back within a few days to try again. If I consistently can't find it I'll log a no find.

-----------

Bill

Jeeps Only!

http://www.jeepsonly.com

------------------------

Nope. If you get to ground zero and look but don't find it, it is a NF. Period. End of discussion. No Excuses. If you go back again it and don't find it then it is ANOTHER NF. If you go back and are really sure that the cache is AWOL, then you should probably log a "archive this".

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

In my area, there are some very difficult multis (Not Tellin' series by T'Dog) that, to my knowledge, no one has completed in one trip. In fact, they're designed that way. So, is finding the first clue, then going home to solve it, a Not Found, or just a log?

I admit I have once or twice simply entered a note instead of a NF when I had a limited amount of time to search, but most of the time I enter a NF (happily, the question hasn't come up for me in a while). As long as either a note or a frown is logged, I'm not sure it really matters. The owner is going to get the log either way. And someone using the logs to gather info about a future search should be reading the logs, not just scanning for faces. If they're just scanning, then a frownie where someone didn't actually get to do a thorough search is actually misleading.

It's interesting how divisive this topic is. In the forums, when regarding a person's find count, the sentiment is always, "It's not a competition, don't worry about your numbers." But here, that sentiment can be used in support of either view. Either, "It's not a competition, so who cares if you have frownies?" or "It's not a competition, so who cares if I don't log frownies."

[This message was edited by dinoprophet on August 15, 2002 at 07:00 AM.]

Good question, Dinoprophet ("What about multis?"). That's an exception that I hadn't thought about. I've done multi-day multi caches, and what did I do?

(That's not a rhetorical question... I honestly don't remember...)

*searching* *searching* *searching*

Interesting. For the ''Before & After'' cache, on 1/31/02, I found waypoint 1, and ran out of time looking for waypoint 2. I returned 2/2/02, and found waypoint 2 and the rest of the waypoints and cache. I logged it as one smilie face dated 2/2/02.

For the ''Magical Mystery Cache,'' I found waypoints 1 and 2 in February, ran out of time, lost my notes, and didn't return to re-find those waypoints and the rest of the cache hunt until 4/13/02. Again, I logged it as one smilie face dated 4/13/02.

I think today, it depends on my expectations going in. If I exected it to take multiple days, I'd post a note (and not a frownie). If I expected to get it all in one trip, I'd post a frownie.

"Why don't you just ask somebody?"

"No, no. I've got a map. Don't worry about that."

Here's an idea to get people to post NF's if we really think they're valuable to the cache page. You get half a point! Ego is no longer an issue. Sought of like getting a "C" on a test or a point from the foul line in basketball; after all if you track the cache down to the last few feet, what's wrong with a half point? Then you post it, the cache site is enriched, and no one gets "burned." (except from the "flames" that's gonna follow this post!!) icon_wink.gif

Alan

Here's an idea to get people to post NF's if we really think they're valuable to the cache page. You get half a point! Ego is no longer an issue. Sought of like getting a "C" on a test or a point from the foul line in basketball; after all if you track the cache down to the last few feet, what's wrong with a half point? Then you post it, the cache site is enriched, and no one gets "burned." (except from the "flames" that's gonna follow this post!!) icon_wink.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by dinoprophet:

In my area, there are some very difficult multis (Not Tellin' series by T'Dog) that, to my knowledge, no one has completed in one trip. In fact, they're designed that way. So, is finding the first clue, then going home to solve it, a Not Found, or just a log?

If you stop looking between legs of a cache then this is either "nothing" or a log entry if you feel compelled to do so.

If you can't find a leg of the trip then this is an NF.

Bottom line is, if you get out of your car with your GPS and go to were the GPS says "0 feet" and get stuck THEN this is a NF. If you wave off on the way to the cache because of daylight or screaming kids then this is either a note or "nothing".

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

We were searching in an area that had recently flooded, gave it a good go with multiple people looking, and were just certain that it had been washed away. Logged our first no-find confident that the owner would check and confirm it missing. Sure you see this coming ... owner checked, found it still there, and it's been found since. Oh well, we got over it and will be quicker to log no-finds in the future. Have to agree, some are great to read!

As for multi's, we've only searched a couple. One was a very difficult puzzle cache and the owner requested on the cache page that you log notes as to your progress. That's what we did until that happy day that we were able to log it found!

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

I always post the "Didn't find" occasions. After all, I think the funniest thing with caching is to come to places, which you rarely would have visited, hadn't it been for that cache. The place probably looks about the same, even if you were six meters off, and didn't see the plastic box.

Besides, on several occasions, I've seen the responsible cache owner do a maintenance visit, to check that it's actually there. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. If it is, well, I wasn't lucky, and if it isn't, others can be told (it can be replaced or archived).

I visited one cache, or I tried to, that was off by 18 km, due to an input error in the coordinates. Could be good to know for the next seeker. Didn't find it when I got the right coords either, but that's another story. icon_wink.gif

It was this one, just in case you want to look.

Anders

I always post the "Didn't find" occasions. After all, I think the funniest thing with caching is to come to places, which you rarely would have visited, hadn't it been for that cache. The place probably looks about the same, even if you were six meters off, and didn't see the plastic box.

Besides, on several occasions, I've seen the responsible cache owner do a maintenance visit, to check that it's actually there. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. If it is, well, I wasn't lucky, and if it isn't, others can be told (it can be replaced or archived).

I visited one cache, or I tried to, that was off by 18 km, due to an input error in the coordinates. Could be good to know for the next seeker. Didn't find it when I got the right coords either, but that's another story. icon_wink.gif

It was this one, just in case you want to look.

Anders

I just ran across this thread and wanted to say that I log my "not found" caches. I think it's helpful to the owner of the cache. I appreciate it when people log "not found"s on mine too, because then it gives me a chance to go look for my caches and make sure they are okay. Any helpful comment or constructive criticism is good too. So far none have gone missing. icon_smile.gif

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Cache 'n' carry... My 4 year old!

I just ran across this thread and wanted to say that I log my "not found" caches. I think it's helpful to the owner of the cache. I appreciate it when people log "not found"s on mine too, because then it gives me a chance to go look for my caches and make sure they are okay. Any helpful comment or constructive criticism is good too. So far none have gone missing. icon_smile.gif

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Cache 'n' carry... My 4 year old!

I think some people have and will always have an attitude that "its not my fault". I know as a child I did. Alot of the cache logs read something like ":) I went to the right coordinates but couldn't find the cache, I guess its been stolen (not my fault)"

Its a pitty because it really does help other caches to have it clearly indicated that the cache is hard to find or not available at all.

Tony

I think some people have and will always have an attitude that "its not my fault". I know as a child I did. Alot of the cache logs read something like "icon_smile.gif I went to the right coordinates but couldn't find the cache, I guess its been stolen (not my fault)"

Its a pitty because it really does help other caches to have it clearly indicated that the cache is hard to find or not available at all.

Tony

I log it as a "No Find" weather we are at ground 0 and never get it, or we start a hunt and never get to the end. Happened today in fact. I know we were in the right spot due to the area being trampled from previous hunters. There is some question weather the cords are accurate due to previous log entries, but since we were at the given cords and had no luck, I logged it as not found.

We intend to go back at a later time for another try, but still log an unhappy face.

I feel that even though we will be going back for a 2nd try, and even if we find it, we still were there the 1st time and didnt find it, so it warrants a no find.

We have had 2 others that we could not find. The first, one of Markwells, we logged as a no find even though we intended to return. We did return a month later, and found it, so then logged it again as found.

The second, we set out in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, with no map, GPS only. We could not find the correct road to lead to the cache even though we got within 2 miles of it. I logged it as a no find, but made sure to tell the story so as to not worry the Cache owner.

As far as our Caches go, I appreciate ones honesty in logging a no find. If I was to see 2 no finds in a row, I would immediatly go to our Cache to make sure that everything is OK. I want to know if there is a possible problem there. Also, it is kinda fun to read about people not being able to find your hiding spot.

Sorry I am so long winded today! icon_smile.gif

Laugh now, but I've got plenty to do when I'm the last person on the planet

[This message was edited by Team WO9LF on September 01, 2002 at 06:45 AM.]

I log it as a "No Find" weather we are at ground 0 and never get it, or we start a hunt and never get to the end. Happened today in fact. I know we were in the right spot due to the area being trampled from previous hunters. There is some question weather the cords are accurate due to previous log entries, but since we were at the given cords and had no luck, I logged it as not found.

We intend to go back at a later time for another try, but still log an unhappy face.

I feel that even though we will be going back for a 2nd try, and even if we find it, we still were there the 1st time and didnt find it, so it warrants a no find.

We have had 2 others that we could not find. The first, one of Markwells, we logged as a no find even though we intended to return. We did return a month later, and found it, so then logged it again as found.

The second, we set out in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, with no map, GPS only. We could not find the correct road to lead to the cache even though we got within 2 miles of it. I logged it as a no find, but made sure to tell the story so as to not worry the Cache owner.

As far as our Caches go, I appreciate ones honesty in logging a no find. If I was to see 2 no finds in a row, I would immediatly go to our Cache to make sure that everything is OK. I want to know if there is a possible problem there. Also, it is kinda fun to read about people not being able to find your hiding spot.

Sorry I am so long winded today! icon_smile.gif

Laugh now, but I've got plenty to do when I'm the last person on the planet

[This message was edited by Team WO9LF on September 01, 2002 at 06:45 AM.]

mark my not founds. But recently I've noticed that cache owners delete my not founds from their logs. For instance most recently, I've been trying to find a cache in a park not far from my house. I tried on two occasions and couldn't find it either time. The first time because I didn't know what I was looking for and the second because the owner had removed it that morning because of a group of trolls (school kids) running around in the park. I know the cache is there and people have logged it since the NFs. I logged both times as NFs, but the cache owner has deleted both of them. Not that I really care, it's his cache to do with as he pleases, I just wanted to put in my two cents.

-Gloom

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Why not post a no find,if the people went to all the trouble to plant a cache the least I can do is be honest about what I find! In most cases were I live its not just the cache we are interested in but the scenery. I might not go back a second time to find the cache ,but it was nice of the people to show me the way to such beautiful spots!

quote:
Originally posted by Gloom:

...but the cache owner has deleted both of them. Not that I really care, it's his cache to do with as he pleases...

I'd care. I can't see that he has any business deleting any log, unless someone has posted something malicious, or posted a spoiler. Even in those cases, the owner should contact the log writer in an attempt to fix the problem first... and deletion should be the last resort.

I'd be pretty upset if a cache-owner deleted any of my logs.

Did you email the guy about it?

Jamie

I always post my nf's. I don't look at the logs and found stats as a means to brag, instead I see it as a means to share my caching expierence with others. If I didn't find it I didn't find it oh well. I don't think any less of myself for it. I look at getting my but off the couch to go an at least try as a win.

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Kablooey,

Can we go find your cache and log a find for that cache?

Jamie

You can go find the cache (at least one person already has). Currently, if you want to log it, you have to go to a different website. One of these days I'll copy the details to a new cache page here.

--

I'm off in my own little world. That's okay, people know me here.

icon_mad.gificon_smile.gificon_mad.gificon_smile.gificon_mad.gificon_smile.gif I always log a no find. That way I keep a list of where I've been, and where I have to go back to, to try again. I logged Fox Treasure as a no find, only to find out that the cache page had been changed that day because the original coordinates were off by aobut 100 feet. So I must go back someday soon. I think that finding the park, open space, forest, land trust, etc... is just as important as the cache itself. Maybe, just maybe, even more so. Of course, I only have 2 or 3 frownie faces so far. That's about a 10% no find average. And one of those no finds was because we forgot to bring the cache page with us on a multi cache. My buddy's Garmin Legend is usually right on the money. Still need to get my own GPS.

Cache you later,

Planet

icon_mad.gificon_smile.gificon_mad.gificon_smile.gificon_mad.gificon_smile.gif I always log a no find. That way I keep a list of where I've been, and where I have to go back to, to try again. I logged Fox Treasure as a no find, only to find out that the cache page had been changed that day because the original coordinates were off by aobut 100 feet. So I must go back someday soon. I think that finding the park, open space, forest, land trust, etc... is just as important as the cache itself. Maybe, just maybe, even more so. Of course, I only have 2 or 3 frownie faces so far. That's about a 10% no find average. And one of those no finds was because we forgot to bring the cache page with us on a multi cache. My buddy's Garmin Legend is usually right on the money. Still need to get my own GPS.

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I'd care. I can't see that he has any business deleting _any_ log, unless someone has posted something malicious, or posted a spoiler. Even in those cases, the owner should contact the log writer in an attempt to fix the problem first... and deletion should be the last resort.

I'd be pretty upset if a cache-owner deleted any of my logs.

Did you email the guy about it?

Jamie

I guess I should have added that we did communicate by email a couple of times before he deleted them. He basically said that I was probably standing on top of it, but it just wasn't there because he had temporarily removed it, and that I should go ahead and log it. But that's a whole other can of worms...

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.