Possible?

Recent events are causing quite an uproar here in the forums. Due to popular demand (one person) I’m posting this poll.

The Question:

Is this scenario likely or possible given the recent events described in the polls and the events in the U.S.

Can this game be played underground?

No, sorry, no great ideas for an underground version. I really don’t want that anyway. Here’s how I see it happening though.

1. The combination of bad and misinformed press (pressure from without) and

2. The desire by some to impose their standard on the rest of us in regards to environmental issues, hazards, and other aspects like cache containers through new rules. (Pressure from within.)

causes the popularity to fall off. The admin element begins to disapprove caches placed in city parks, wilderness areas, etc. based on someone’s (?) perception of proper and improper containers, placements, etc and popularity drops off further. Some cachers who are revolted by the idea of “presumed authority” (from park managers and the like) create a bootleg site and hide caches without regulation, no longer using their real names, and geocache only on the sly. The legitimate site is now purely “vanilla” and the caches are only placed on private property (not to be confused with “primate property”) by the property owner in biodegradable, non- edible, unthreatening, crystal clear, and accurately labeled containers approved and purchased though the site. They will be required to be reachable by wheelchair and must beep when activated by remote to make them blind accessible. Woof-poof the good times are over, (you’re not going to camo up your kids to find a bootleg cache right?).

Do I want this? Hell no! Is this realistic? You decide.

The vote results are interesting but post a few opinions of your own as well. I'm interested in the direction you see this going in the future.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

On the off chance you are referring to me, I simply believe that less rules=more fun. It’s not a "tude", its a philosophy.

I have set up a cache in a park and one in a private botanical garden. The folks at the botanical garden hadn't heard of geocaching yet, so were reluctant until they checked it out. Now, the board members follow the cache activity online. I have to think that there are more experiences like mine than the other way.

As far as the reaction to Cali caches, consider the complaints. "Tracking in non-native seeds" could happen with any activity. This strikes me as one of those "Earth Firsters" attempt to keep everyone else out of the area.

We need to obey the rules, get permission first, and keep it family oriented. The sport/hobby/obsession will do just fine.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

Stories like that restore my faith in common sense. Glad to see there are listeners as well as fanatical squawkers.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

On the off chance you are referring to me, I simply believe that less rules=more fun. It’s not a "tude", its a philosophy.

I wasn't.

I wasn't referring to any individual. not even obliquely.

It was a general observation. My apologies if you were offended by it.

I'm a newbie at this, but one thing I've seen already: not every cacher is environmentally responsible. New trails are made, vegetation gets "lead piped" or just simply trampled flat, and that's what gets the parks upset, especially at nature preserves.

It'll take more than one negligent cacher, and more than a few incidents, but it'll happen: some liberal democrat will decide we're abusing protected wildlife or endangering taxpayers by enticing them to hike through poison ivy, or worse yet.

Next thing you know, there's a commission on it, and same as ALL laws in this country were formed to control the negative actions of a very few, they'll cook up some new restrictions that'll send the game underground.

And we'll be there - chalking up trees!

icon_razz.gif MyBoys&Me

I'm a newbie at this, but one thing I've seen already: not every cacher is environmentally responsible. New trails are made, vegetation gets "lead piped" or just simply trampled flat, and that's what gets the parks upset, especially at nature preserves.

It'll take more than one negligent cacher, and more than a few incidents, but it'll happen: some liberal democrat will decide we're abusing protected wildlife or endangering taxpayers by enticing them to hike through poison ivy, or worse yet.

Next thing you know, there's a commission on it, and same as ALL laws in this country were formed to control the negative actions of a very few, they'll cook up some new restrictions that'll send the game underground.

And we'll be there - chalking up trees!

icon_razz.gif MyBoys&Me