Have any sick-Os left creepy or dangerous stuff?

Guest High Seas

Guest High Seas

Being as we take our children (ages 1-14) geocaching, I was wondering if there have been many incidents of creeps leaving terrible things in caches? Dangerous or explosive things?

Guest Chris Juricich

Haven't run into any yet.

Do decapitated heads count?

Sorry-- but seriously, no. Most dangerous thing I've experienced on a hunt was hearing a rattler not far from me.

Or maybe it was my wife screaming about her worries about lyme disease. Can't remember which was scarier.

Guest Paul Lamble

Chris,

Do you have any incidents of Lyme disease in California? I thought it was an east coast thing.

We have occasional incidents here in Missouri, but I really thought you folks out West were free of it.

Just curious.

Paul Lamble

If you want some guaranteees you aren't getting any. Plenty of people play with children and I haven't heard of a case yet where a sicko left something in a cache. I recommend in any situation to look in the container first, then once you give it the all clear have your children look at it.

Best we can do.

Jeremy

Guest McIrish

I haven't found anything particularly dangerous. I did find some Maui Wowi in one cache a month ago. And in the spirit of the sport I destroyed it. I DID TOO!

Seems most of the people here are a great group. The scariest thing I have found in our area was a box that screamed when we opened it up. Hahaha. It was rigged to do that at a night cache!!! Very clever. eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:

I did find some Maui Wowi in one cache a month ago. And in the spirit of the sport I destroyed it. I DID TOO!

Ohhh, so is that when you ate a whole pan of brownies when you got home?? tongue.gif

As to the original question- strange thing happened to one of my caches- it was found by a workcrew doing tree cutting along the highway- of course the workcrew was a bunch of convicts from the local jail!! They took the California Highway Patrol shoelaces?? and left a used cig, a dirty bandana and something else. All in all not too bad considering they weren't the most upstanding citizens! I take my kids all the time- hubby or I just look through the cache first before we let the girls see it. HTH

------------------

~~Smiles~~

Mav

[This message has been edited by mav (edited 01 September 2001).]

I saw a log on a cache I had already logged where someone said left a picture of their nude girlfriend. Since it was nearby and in an area where you could easily take kids along I dropped in again and removed it. It was a nude pic but I really hope it wasn't his girlfriend, yeech.

I really wouldn't care if someone placed an "adult" cache as discussed in an earlier thread (won't happen cuz Jeremy won't allow and that's fine) but you have to be careful what you place in an existing cache like this was.

Rusty...

------------------

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Guest Prime Suspect

I found a crack pipe in a cache back in February. Don't know who placed it there, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume they didn't actually know what those glass tubes with the tiny artificial rose inside are really used for.

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

I found a crack pipe in a cache back in February. Don't know who placed it there, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume they didn't actually know what those glass tubes with the tiny artificial rose inside are really used for.

That shows you what I know. I had no clue the rose tubes were used for anything like that!

Scott

redd@interbug.com

http://interbug.com/pigeon

Guest prv8eye
Originally posted by Paul Lamble:

Chris,

Do you have any incidents of Lyme disease in California? I thought it was an east coast thing.

Looks like it's a thing from Alaska to Florida.

"As of week 52 of 2000 (ending December 30, 2000), 104 provisional case reports for Lyme disease in California were accepted and reported by the CDC for 2000."

MANY states listed here:

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/6772/lyme.html

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by redd:

That shows you what I know. I had no clue the rose tubes were used for anything like that!

Yeah, the rose is just a way to try to get around drug paraphernalia laws. When these started showing up in convenience stores a few years ago, it was all over the local news.

quote:

Yeah, the rose is just a way to try to get around drug paraphernalia laws. When these started showing up in convenience stores a few years ago, it was all over the local news.

Oh boy. I think I might have bought one for my wife.

I don't even watch the news, so that wouldn't have helped me, either. icon_smile.gif

Scott

redd@interbug.com

quote:

Oh boy. I think I might have bought one for my wife.

I don't even watch the news, so that wouldn't have helped me, either. icon_smile.gif

Scott

redd@interbug.com

Guest Snowtrail

You can also make crack pipes out of mini bottles and car antennas with steel wool (haven't you ever seen anybody with a clothes hanger for a radio antenna?).

Living in a bad neighborhood has exposed me to the strangest things...