Cache Denied

WARTIDE

My wife and I have hidden one regular cache and two micros that were quickly approved. However, one of the micros we hid this past weekend still hadn't been approved as of yesterday. I contacted the approver and asked if there was a problem. He voiced his concerns and I could see his point. I decided to just go retrieve the micro and move it to a new location.

The problem with the cache was that it was very near an elementary school. It was still in a public area just across the street. The approver stated that he would hate to have the cops called on a geocacher. He suggested to ask the school admin. for permission. Instead, I just decided to move it.

My point in posting this: when I went to move the cache, I noticed that classroom windows were only about 50 feet from my cache placement. Also, the playground was about 100 feet away. In my excitement to place the cache in a well hidden area, I completely ignored my surroundings. It was a Saturday and the school was empty so that probably had something to do with it also. Through several emails, the approver was very helpful and polite and not only told me his concerns, but gave suggestions for ways to get the cache approved. In the end I thought it would just be better to move it. I don't want to give any names (don't want to look like a brown noser) but these volunteers do a great job.

Wartide

Nice to have a positive thread for a change.

But to be on topic...

I usually make two or three trips to a potential site just to make sure I don't run into the problem you discussed above. I also take the opportunity to check the coordinates.

Glad to hear everything worked out in the end.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

Good decision by both you and the approver. Glad to hear everything was resolved amicably and to everyone's mutual satisfaction.

It reminded me of this cache which I found during the summer. What's interesting is that this cache is not only on an elementary schoolground, but actually hidden under a portable classroom in a pvc pipe. We made a point of going for this cache before school started in September. I wouldn't go anywhere near it now that school is back in session.

Gorak

I love frogs. They taste like chicken. Yum.

quote:
Originally posted by Gorak:

It reminded me of http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=052487dc-9f33-4aef-9651-2908ce2a542b which I found during the summer.

Going off-topic for a moment... What a pointless cache. Are there lots like that in the US? Each and every cache I have done so far in England has been either a good walk, a good view, or an interesting subject nearby. I'd be very disapointed if that was a cache I had gone out of my way to get.

--

Cheers,

Stuey icon_biggrin.gif

I am glad you and the approver worked out where to place your cache.

school cache

After reading what was done about your placement and looking at this cache. I think they should archive this other cache. There are millions of places to hide a cache and no cache should be hidden in a pipe looking device near any school or government place.

We have had 2 children go missing here Toronto Canada in the last 6 months, I would not want to be seen lurking near any school here.

icon_redface.gif

gm100guy

http://members.rogers.com/gm100guy/cachepage.htm

Ontario geocachers http://groups.msn.com/GeocachinginOntario/homepage

I found a cache that you had to walk onto school grounds to access, I just waited until early one Sunday morning to do it.

You could have left your cache where it was, and notified the school, but you would have gotten a lot of "didn't feel comfortable hunting for the cache..." logs, and no matter who is notified, the fact that some man was wondering around 100 feet from a classroom, would still seem weird.

Since it obviously wasn't critical for you to have the cache in that location, moving it was a good idea.

Thanks for sharing your "approver worked with me" story.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

Like Gorak, I was amazed that a school would ever grant permission for a cache to be placed under a classroom portable, requiring you to take off a loose board to retrieve it from a PVC pipe.

What a refreshing change this thread is.

I too, have seen the wisdom of those entrusted to uphold the guideleines of this site. I myself was asked to revise a cache description and title recently.

And you know what? It was the right thing to do.

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

Like Gorak, I was amazed that a school would ever grant permission for a cache to be placed under a classroom portable, requiring you to take off a loose board to retrieve it from a PVC pipe.

I remember this cache. I got FTF on it. ;-)

I'd think that any cache on a school yard SHOULD NOT be approved. It's just plain silly. I have no idea how this one was approved.