Camouflaging Techniques

Quixotic Prof

I have been thinking about how a cache container can be camouflaged in various ways. Some ideas that have come to mind are hollowing out a log or building a fake rock. Or, maybe at the extreme, manufacturing an object like a trail sign or a fence post that has a hidden cache area.

As very much a newbie at this, I haven't come across any camouflaged caches and was wondering what examples people have.

qp

quote:
Originally posted by OUTSID4EVR:

I wouldn't alter the landscape in any way. There are plenty of ways to hide containers naturally. One suggestion is to paint the cache container to match the surroundings. I have seen black cloth used to disguise a cache that was hidden in a dark area. The cloth broke up the outline of the container and made it hard to see.

Is it the fence/sign posts that you're referring to? Or the hollow logs/fake rocks? icon_confused.gif Or just a general statement against alteration of landscape?

quote:
Originally posted by OUTSID4EVR:

Disguising a cache as a rock would be OK IMHO. Placing a fence post or trail sign where one did not previously exist would not be OK.

Ahh, I see icon_smile.gif I personally wouldn't have a problem with adding a fencepost or sign to an area which already had them (such as adding an extra post to an existing fence), but that's just me. icon_biggrin.gif

Camaflage I've seen.

Fake rocks (turned it over saw nothing underneath and missed the cache)

Fake Birdhouses

Fake branches.

Hung up in a tree.

Bark.

Camo paint.

PineCone's

The hardest caches of all were not camaflaged. They were hidden well and thus used the natural terrain of the area to hide the cache itself which could of been flourescent orange and still have been hard to find.

Wherever you go there you are.

bing the thinking kind, told me to bring some 3M spray contact cement with me the next time I stash. Right before I hide it, spray the contact cement all over it and roll it in the dirt around where I am going to place it. That way it blends in better than a cool camo paint job. Hmmmm.

Happy. Hunting. burnout.gif

you can use textured spray paint but it may be hard to find, they even have spray paint that is textured like many kinds of rocks, also you can get fake leaves and branches and you cant tell the difference except for winter many places that sell hunting stuff have the fake leaves for just a couple dollars for a package of 25

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. Especially Mr. Snazz for the photos.

Does anyone have any examples of creating more "artificial" hiding locations? I am reminded of a report on National Public Radio (May 9, 2002; search for "highway signs" at http://www.npr.org) that described an "artist" who posted a highway sign in Los Angelos that was entirely consistent with the Department of Transportation signs such that it was never discovered as a fake.

The examples of fake bird houses is very similar to this scenario. Does anyone have any other examples of building such a hiding location?

Thank you,

qp

I don't want to accuse anyone, but doesn't a fake birdhouse as a camo cache sound like bit risky from the bird's point of view? I mean, knowing what kind of cache-hungry hunters some of us are, someone might plunder all the nearby real birdhouses when looking for the fake one.icon_confused.gif That ever happened? Can it be avoided somehow? Examples?

Please markwell me if necessary.

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body. -

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

I don't want to accuse anyone, but doesn't a fake birdhouse as a camo cache sound like bit risky from the bird's point of view? I mean, knowing what kind of cache-hungry hunters some of us are, someone might plunder all the nearby _real_ birdhouses when looking for the fake one.icon_confused.gif That ever happened? Can it be avoided somehow? Examples?

Please markwell me if necessary.

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body. -

Well, a fake birdhouse, if constructed properly, are easy to spot when you're up close. First, it has to be a type of birdhouse that you generally find near the ground. Two, look at the hole. It should have a black panel behind it to close off the hole while still appearing open from a distance.

We have one near us and it's very convincing. You have to get close to see the hole is filled in and it's just under head high so you can open the top and pull out the cache container.

An advantage to this type of hide is it's protected from the elements and has practically no chance of floating off if it floods.

However, don't try to build a hybrid house that will actually house a bird AND a cache. Cachers would distrupt the nesting of those birds. And don't put one too close to a real house either for the same reason.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I have made a birdhouse that i am going to use in the area, and yes the hole is blocked off so it can not be used, but I am putting it up with four other birdhouses that are real that I made to specs to help blend in the area! I have permission from the park people for it! I also have some urban caches that are urban camoflauge that you will have to get right on top to realize that is where the cache is! I am also making a fake scientific device that looks like a small air sampler on a post that you will have to get up to and read the small metal plaque on it that says Darkmoon Geo Technologies to realize that it is bogus! The lock is welded open with a small vacuum line to conceal the open part, it will pull right off and the box will open! As soon as the snow is gone here, I am planting it! I have a small fan in an opening but it is sealed from the inside to keep the wasps out in the summer!

For forest areas, I have been painting my cans flat black and then dry brushing tan, brown and some green that blends into the fallen leaves that we have here all year round! They are hard to see and covered with leaves you again have to be up on it to find it! We have alot of sandstone and red rock here to so I spray the can with a red primer, air brush some streaks with a lighter red on it and then spray with flat black on the top and splatter some moss green on the black with some model railroad lichen and it looks like a moss covered red sandstone rock!

I hollowed a log out but it weighs quite a bit so I haven't used it yet except in my back yard, don't know if i will place it! I am also using expandable foam to make rocks to hide some rubbermaid containers but am not quite done yet! I like painting them realistically and have had much success as one of my old hobbies was building model trains and layouts! Heck I have even glued using industrial grade glue gun adhesive fake leaves and branches to one or two containers! My micro's have been cutdown paintball pods that i waterproof and use a camo neoprene cover on that works great!

It has been some crappy weather here so the last week and a half I have been doing containers and having a ball! I can't link his page but check out the user Criminal and his homepage has a great primer on how he camo's his boxes!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

quote:
Originally posted by kevin917z:

you can use textured spray paint but it may be hard to find, they even have spray paint that is textured like many kinds of rocks, also you can get fake leaves and branches and you cant tell the difference except for winter many places that sell hunting stuff have the fake leaves for just a couple dollars for a package of 25

Do you think you could post a link to some of the fake leaves? Thanks....

I've been going in circles my whole life. May as well make a hobby of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Michaels craft store has an excellent selection of fake leaves, plants, etc. and in a variety of seasonal colorings. I'd imagine that other craft stores might have similar offerings, if there isn't a Michaels in your area.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/static?page=floralhome

Yes, I went to Michaels, but a six foot length of silk Ivy was almost $10, and I need about ten of them to disguise my cache, so that's starting to get too expensive. Two bucks or so for leaves I can hot-glue to the cache sounds really good to me.

I've been going in circles my whole life. May as well make a hobby of it.

this is one place i have found fake leaves,

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/showad.html?ad_id=68021&ticket=20643794&urlseq=1155490365

you can also use textured spraypaint in different shades and then attach these leaves to a cache container, havent bought or tried the leaves yet

I will be calling the company to ask what the leaves are made of before i buy

have had good luck w/ this company, they also have a good return/ exchange policy

you can also buy camo mesh for camoflauging caches that doesnt rot mildew or decay, from the same company or at a good sporting goods store, all you have to do is break up the outline of the container by cutting the mesh in places

good luck, if anyone uses the leaves let me know what you think

In Washington state, I have seen several hollowed out logs, a fake stump, fake rocks with micros in them, a fake mailbox, a fake electrical box, and a cache hanging in a tree with live lichens for camo. Execution is the whole thing. Some things that work primo in one location are inapproptiate in another place. One of the great things about geocaching is that you really get to use your imagination when you craft a devious hide!

i forgot to mention camo duct tape, but remember, in areas where bears live this is NOT a good idea as bears can smell the tape and are attracted to it, REALLY NO JOKE, bears love things like film, soap, duct tape, chapstick, suntan lotion, toothpaste etc.

always hung these items and food in bear bags when backpacking in mountains, in the morning we always found claw marks on the trees where the bears tried to get the bags

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

However, don't try to build a hybrid house that will actually house a bird AND a cache. Cachers would distrupt the nesting of those birds. And don't put one too close to a real house either for the same reason.

I've seen one, and it was a cache placed by the park. It was the only bird house in the area, and there was an obvious clue at the previous stage that it would be a birdhouse. The cache was actually in a separate chamber from where the birds lived. The bird area was on top like a regular birdhouse, then it extended downward to form a second larger "room" with a separate door for accessing the cache. I did find it a little questionable re: the birds' safety, it does seem like a bad idea generally, but like I said, the park placed it. The cache included a lot of info on the birds that use it, so the placers did know their stuff.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut

There are all kinds of possibilities I have seen for camoflauging caches. We have spray paints that come in camo colors, like brown, green, gray, they dry flat (no shine), and they if you intermix several of the colors it is very easy to disguise a cache container.

I have also seen people take spray adhesive (I use 3M Super 77, it is 10 bucks a can, but it is the best there is, and goes a long way), and coat their container with whatever is in the surround area, whether it be sand, pine needles, leaves. I have even glued cypress mulch to the top of a few of my containers.

We also have textured spray paint that can make a cache look like stone, or hammered or any of a number of different things. I painted a key container with a silver hammered metal spray paint, and it ended up matching the galvinized surface I was putting it one perfectly.

I have started painting all of my cache containers, because post 9-11 I have seen that people are much more sensitive to unmarked containers, especially ammo boxes marked for their original contents. Last thing I want to see is a geocache causing a bomb scare.

So anyway, if you have a container you are wanting to hide real well, head one down to home depot and check out the spray paint aisle, it full of all kinds of good stuff.

One of the things I did on a micro cache attached to a tree was....I took a pic of the tree I was hiding it on and then printed it out on an iron transfer paper. Then I ironed it on a piece of cloth and wrapped the micro in it.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

i sculpted a tree knot (or burhl, i think??) out of clay and then cast it in plaster and painted it to match the existing bark. People really seemed to enjoy the idea

camo cache

i just disabled the cache yesterday, because i think all the snow this winter is going to cause a bit of flooding soon (stage 2 of the cache is very close to the river) icon_frown.gif ...i can't wait until i can put it back up