GPS Window/Dash Mount Safety

Just a friendly reminder (not from a bad experience or anything)....

It's something you've probably already noticed, but it deserves a second glance...especially if you're getting into an unfamiliar vehicle.

The next time you get in the car, double check to be sure that all components (gps mount, power cable, etc.) of your GPS window or dash mount are well clear of any airbags.

I recently moved my RAM window mount to the center of my window where the cable is a bit more inconvenient, but is well away from the passenger airbag.

If your mount is over an airbag, you or a passenger could be seriously injured or killed by having it smack into your head at a hundred miles an hour. A wayward power cord could also slingshot the outlet adaptor into someone's eye or face.

Caching isn't worth losing an eye or something worse. A few extra seconds of attention could save someone's life.

I know the wisdom of this advice, and unfortunately, I learned it by experiance.

Last summer, I was helping my son ferry his second car across country. My daughter-in-law was driving when we became involved in an accident on the freeway near Ranch Cucamonga, California. We eventually came to rest against the guardrail, and the airbags blew. My GPS, a Mag Map 330 was in a winshield/dashboard mount, and apparently, the base of the mount was resting on the far edge of the airbag cover. When the airbag blew, it propelled the GPS, mount and all, up into the windshield. It tore the GPS out of the mount, and tore the back off the GPS as well. The mount was twisted badly, and had glass ground into the plastic.

The upshot of all this is was that the windshield would not have been broken, except for the GPS. The GPS was essentially unharmed, the mount was salvageable, No one was seriously injured, the car took about a month to get repaired, and we were delayed about five days on the trip.

Be very careful where you put your windshield/dashboard mount.

GeoForse, and occasionally, the GreatrForse

2curlup.jpg

If this raises the awareness of just one person, it is so valuable.

I'd also like to point out that on the Chevy Suburban (which in turn can be seen on many other GM platforms) circa 99 and before, that the front passenger airbag actually had a recall to place a steel panel on the dash just above the glovebox. This was to keep the airbag from deploying too far up and being useless for smaller passengers. We opted to not have the local dealer tear our dash apart to put in a piece of aesthetically unpleasing black piece of metal. Their attitude was pretty crappy about doing the work, and I'd rather they didn't cut into my truck with a poor attitude.

Anyway, point is that this is to retain the top of the dash.... So, if this helps anyone I'm glad to help. icon_smile.gif Airbags deploy so darn fast and a GPSr can easily cause fatal damage where a person could otherwise walk away without a scratch. Great topic, and I hope people are reminded from time to time.

I really like the Magellan mount which can be mounted center window (just to the right of the radar detector) and turned to face either the driver or passenger. The Garmin beanbag mount is also an easy to place unit.

We used to use place our legend (face side up, of course) as far forward as possible, in the center, and I'd only check it at a stop, or my wife would be "in charge" of it.

I am just now starting a thread about PAYING ATTENTION which is also important.

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

The next time you get in the car, double check to be sure that all components (gps mount, power cable, etc.) of your GPS window or dash mount are well clear of any airbags

Very timely advice. Thank you. I just received my new GPSr and dash mount a couple of hours ago. The thought of airbags deploying hadn't even crossed my mind. When I install the mount this evening I will definately take that into account. Death by GPS may sound like a great way to go, but I don't think I want to try it. Thanks, again.

Gorak

Geo 36 20

Or just turn the airbag off.

Hey, I don't care if you don't agree. I'm just offering you a choice.

I intentionally don't own a car with Airbags. My wife is 5ft tall and because of her seating possition so close to the wheel it greatly increases her chance of injury or death. The latest trend with airbags is eye injuries if you dont get your arms and wrists broken. It happens so fast that people don't get their eyes closed. The surface of the airbage is rather rough and acts like sand paper to the cornia.

Have you ever seen a bag go off? I have deotnated a few. My buddy was in Warranty parts testing for a Auto Manufacture. If the Airbag trouble light went of this manufacture replaced the airbags. He would bring those bags home and we would detontate them. The wheel bags have a steel backing plate. They weigh about 8lb. We had to retrieve them off the roof of his house a few time.....His 2 story house. They sound like a M80 going off and that's not far from what they are. They use the same propelent used in the solid rocket boosters for the space shuttle.

You must understand that Airbags were designed to protect a UNBELTED person 5'6" tall and 160lb. It can and has killed belted drivers that are of short stature and weigh around 100lb (like my wife). I believe in belts and I believe airbags should be an OPTION. Then I'll buy a new car when I don't have to pay $2k for a device I don't want. Till then I'll just pay cash for older cars that are either disposable or worth dropping an engine in when I wear them out.

Reguardless it was good that this information was posted. It is important to understand that airbages can create projectils of anything on the dash. I install Car phones and the location of the phone is something I do have to concider the airbags. Fortunatly there are several companies that sell specialized mounts that locate the equipment out of the way of the bags.

I had never thought about the GPS on the airbag issue until I went on vacation and my insurance industry friend riding with me said to watch out about setting the GPS on the dash. She also told me that claims come in every year where a passenger put his or her feet on the dash over the air bag. The force of airbag going off with the feet there then broke the legs in the best cases, and amputated them in the worst! I have my own airbag worry. I am small, and while I sit beyond the 10 inch recommendation from the wheel, it is pretty close! I initially asked to have a driver side switch installed and the dealer said that they couldn't do it since I was 11 inches from the wheel. Apparently to have the switch installed it has to be less than 10 inches. Yet, I read somewhere that the better number would be 12!

Edited by carleenp

I have a similar type mount for my Vista. Sits just to the left of my field of vision, just below my eyes. I can glance at it and still have my eyes on the road, and it hinders not. The only problem I have is in the summer heat here, the suction can fail and I have to clean the glass to get a secure suction again. The film that develops from the heat is killer for attachment.

A very close friend of mine was in an accident where the airbags deployed. She now has severe brain damage and needs 24 hr supervision. She (like myself) is very small and the officials said it was due to

a ) Older airbag model

b ) Too close to the wheel

She was driving in the city and not speeding. They figure she was going approx. 15-20km/hr.

I went into my dealership and asked about having my airbags removed. They gave me brochures and talked to me for quite a while about my decision. I have since bought a new vehicle and have checked the airbags (they are the 'good' type).

I'm presently using a clip on the vent type of attachment (for a cell phone) but I've read elsewhere that this can be expensive (if the vent snaps). I'd like a dash mount for my Magellan from S. Claus but I'm now hesitating and I'll look into this alot more. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention!

Edited by 1Short

As a retired paramedic, I can vouch for the necessity in following this advice. I have seen many people seriously injured in low-speed impacts by their airbags. I have a video of some firefighters in Ohio trying to extricate a patient from the back seat of a car with the jaws of life. The airbags detonated and threw one 250lb firefighter 20 feet from the car, leaving him in critical condition. The other firefighter caught a glancing blow and fractured several ribs, bruised his liver, and ruptured his spleen. Thank you for posting this message, it is definitely something people should be aware of.