Geocaching Conquers the Universe

Guest Quasar

I have been reading the stats so expertly compiled by Moun10bike at http://www.switchbacks.com/geocaching2.html

I have uncovered an interesting trend. Looking at these figures it appears that Geocaching is growing exponentially, with the total number of caches in the world increasing at least 30% every month.

While this is great, I do fear that we are in for a veritable geocache plague in the years ahead. In fact, according to my calculations, we are about to be overrun by geocaches!

There are currently about 6,500 caches in the world. Increasing at 30% per month, this means that by the end of 2002 there will be about 425,000 caches. Wow! that should bring some people's stats up, but it's nothing to worry about!

However, come the end of 2005, just 4 and a bit years from now, this number will have grown to a massive 5.4 billion caches! That's almost one for every person on earth! Better hope they all buy a GPS!

But wait, there's more! As we near the end of this decade, geocaching will be approaching the status of a new lifeform, conquering the entire planet!

By the end of 2009, a mere 8 years away (only as far in the future as 1993 is in the past!), we will have 1.49 * 10^14 caches! Which if my maths is correct, is one hundred and fifty trillion. Now the entire land surface area of the earth just happens to be 1.48 million square kilometres, which, amazingly enough, is 1.48 trillion square metres. So by the end of 2009, there will be a geocache on every square metre of the earth, and no-one will even need a GPS to look for them! They'll be all through your house, in your back yard, where you work, you'll trip over them while walking the cat. Special geocache sweepers will have to be built to move them off the roads so cars can get through.

Cachers will have taken over the world!!! *EVIL LAUGH*

And what next? Surely that can't be the end of this great pasttime. Can we go further? Well, there's another 200 million square kilometres or so under the oceans. That could keep us going for another 4 or 5 months. Then what?

I predict that geocaching will be the catalyst for mankind's final conquest of the universe. Mining the asteroids? Space for the earth's burgeoning population? Not motivation enough! The reason the human species will go into space to find new places to hide caches!

Think of the countless places just in this solar system. The moon? the planets? the nucleus of a comet!

And beyond...to the stars. And to think, we've all got in on the ground floor of something so big....

Ah....aren't spreadsheets wonderful....

quote:
Originally posted by Quasar:

They'll be all through your house, in your back yard, where you work, you'll trip over them while walking the cat.

I'm kind of looking forward to a time when I just don't have to drive 100 MILES to find one. icon_wink.gif

quote:

They'll be all through your house, in your back yard, where you work, you'll trip over them while walking the cat.

I'm kind of looking forward to a time when I just don't have to drive 100 MILES to find one. icon_wink.gif

Guest The Bees

- Pinky... I believe they are on to us!

* What's that boss?

- They have uncovered my diabolical plan to take over the world using these caches in a non-sensical but definite pattern that will aid in transmitting my mind control ray into peoples heads!

* Oh, I thought that you meant that they had discovered that we drink from oppossite sides of the water dish.

- Pinky, you Dolt! Well back to the cage to plot what we plot every night!

* What's that boss?

- How to take over the world!

They're Pinky... Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain , Brain...

Later All!

Pink... I mean Mike B

The Bees

quote:

By the end of 2009, a mere 8 years away (only as far in the future as 1993 is in the past!), we will have 1.49 * 10^14 caches! Which if my maths is correct, is one hundred and fifty trillion. Now the entire land surface area of the earth just happens to be 1.48 million square kilometres, which, amazingly enough, is 1.48 trillion square metres. So by the end of 2009, there will be a geocache on every square metre of the earth, and no-one will even need a GPS to look for them! They'll be all through your house, in your back yard, where you work, you'll trip over them while walking the cat. Special geocache sweepers will have to be built to move them off the roads so cars can get through.

Imagine the devastating effects this will have on the nation's economies! If even just a fraction of these cache hiders and seekers decide to place a Where's George dollar (or other nation appropriate currency) in the caches, the governments of the world will have no choice but to print up more paper currency, thus inflating the economy.

This could mean a worldwide depression of the scale never seen! Such a global depression would probably be ended by the nations of the world being drawn into World War III, which will no doubt cause SA to reinstated.

Bummer.

Scott

redd@interbug.com

http://interbug.com/pigeon