Rankings

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesehead Dave:

Just out of curiosity, where do they get the numbers? Is Jeremy's database open for anyone to read or have people just hacked a way in? I've wondered that about Buxley's site as well.

Dan has a script that checks the recent logs page every hour or so. icon_cool.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:

Just out of curiosity, where do they get the numbers? Is Jeremy's database open for anyone to read or have people just hacked a way in? I've wondered that about Buxley's site as well.

Dan has a script that checks the recent logs page every hour or so. icon_cool.gif

unclerojelio

quote:

Just out of curiosity, where do they get the numbers? Is Jeremy's database open for anyone to read or have people just hacked a way in?

Everything that you can view in your web browser can also be read by a computer program. A program that reads a lot of pages can extract a lot of information from them. It's not hacking - just clever programming icon_wink.gif

quote:

Just out of curiosity, where do they get the numbers? Is Jeremy's database open for anyone to read or have people just hacked a way in?

Everything that you can view in your web browser can also be read by a computer program. A program that reads a lot of pages can extract a lot of information from them. It's not hacking - just clever programming icon_wink.gif

If you log a 'Note' on a cache then go back and edit the note to a 'Found', the find is not reflected in the 'Recent Logs' listing. Therefore doesn't make into the rankings. I think Dan has some process by which he corrects the data at a later date but it's still a bummer. Maybe Jeremy can fix it so that editing a log entry from a 'Note' or 'Not Found' to a 'Found' gets reflected in the 'Recent Logs' listing.

icon_cool.gif

unclerojelio

If you log a 'Note' on a cache then go back and edit the note to a 'Found', the find is not reflected in the 'Recent Logs' listing. Therefore doesn't make into the rankings. I think Dan has some process by which he corrects the data at a later date but it's still a bummer. Maybe Jeremy can fix it so that editing a log entry from a 'Note' or 'Not Found' to a 'Found' gets reflected in the 'Recent Logs' listing.

icon_cool.gif

unclerojelio

There have been times when Dan's scripts didn't run correctly, and chunks of data have been missed. I believe he has a second script that completely repopulates his entire database from time to time.

Also, if the ownership of a cache is transferred from one cacher to another, his script doesn't pick it up. Just drop him an email, and he usually fixes it pronto.

Overall, Dan's got a great site for those of us who are into numbers. Gustaf's site is great, too!

25021_1200.gif

I think it would be cool of Jeremy if he would give this stats guy SQL access to his database so he could get proper stats. My stats don't reflect reality and are usually behind by several finds.

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

I also think it would be cool if there was some sort of web access to the database, but I understand why it hasn't happened. I've brought it up before but without much response, so I have kind of dropped it.

Anyway, I try to be responsive to emails but my time is quite limited (i.e. nil) so that's why things don't always get done.

I want to make a page that will allow a user to automatically "reload" the cache/log information for a particular cache. So if you find that I'm missing a few of your finds, you would be able to put in those ID numbers and within a few minutes, your totals would be correct.

For the person that mentioned my site not catching you changing a note to a found, that is correct. If it doesn't show up on the recent logs page, I won't catch it.

If you deleted your note log, and resubmitted a found log, I would catch it (though I have no current way (besides manually ) to delete a log from my site, so both logs would show up.

Though my site will not "find" your hidden caches until someone finds them and logs them.

Though if it happened on the weekends it might not show up due to cache overload.

I did modify my script to run more often on weekends to hopefully solve that problem and I'm working on (yeah yeah I've been saying it for awhile) a way that users can submit a cache for my script to "re-run" if I missed one.