Another Off Topic

opey one

Jeez!!! What in the heck is going on?????

I was at a buddy's house last night and saw the most horrific, vulgar, senseless, tasteless (man, I can go on and on) video game on Playstation II. It was called "Grand Theft Auto 3".

This is absurd. I am into games and such in a sense, but what I witnessed totally blew my mind!!!!! No wonder how teens and other school aged CHILDREN go and do what they do!!!!

A man steals a car, goes and blows up the city, robs and rapes, bludgens innocent people, killing cops, women, elderly people with a baseball bat, just innocent by standers, all kinds of an arsenal????? What the hell is going on here?????

Explicit blood squirting, moaning , limbs flying off, decapitation, ____hey, that's enough!!!! Forget this kind of sh**. At least I can control myself on this forum, because this is way out of line!!!!! Something should be done!!!!

Anybody??? Bueller??? C'mon, this needs to be resolved... If you don't believe me, I ..... just nevermind.....

yea but the thing i keep reminding myself is that there a is a line between real life and the hollywood movie/video game world. I have no problem with GTA because i think a lot of ppl have THOUGHT about doing things they would never really do. You can THINK whatever you would like, the problem is when you start acting out those thoughts which have been deemed illegal(ie car theft, etc(the list just gets worse so ill stop there).

whack.gif

Oh, well, just thumbing through the posts and needed to get this clarified.... Maybe I'm over reacting, but.... I've got pre-school age and toddlers, just wanting to sum up the idea... Man!!!! Betcha anything that a percentage of school age kids will play this game and "act out"!!! I may be wrong, but a hundred dollars to a doughnut says I'm right!! Unfortunately icon_frown.gif

Yeah - GTA3 is a great game... and GTA: Vice City is coming out very soon too, afaik. It took me quite a while to beat that game. BUT - I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but I'm now a little more fond of multi-player games like HALO.

A bunch of my friends have XBOX systems and we link em all up in a room full of TVs and then spend several hours stalking and shooting each other. Head shots are the most prized method of killing. Nothing like watching one of your friends poke his head out from behind some wall to take a shot at you - only to have his head splattered on the wall behind him with a sniper shot from across the arena. Mmm... it gets me hot just thinking about it. icon_wink.gif

Oh, and I can also say that never ever has a game encouraged me to do anything violent to anyone. Ever.

geobanana.gifThe Toe Pages

How can I delete this post??? Everyone is making me the laughing stock of America!! Sure, it may be a fun game and all, but, Jeez! I'm probably younger than you rubbertoe, and I'm offended!!! Games like this are out of line, (as I stand on my soapbox). Give me a little credit, though. Man!! I need back up.... Anyone here to help??? This game is way out there and giving all sorts of bad ideas. Yes, rubbertoe is an adult, and he can clearly decide right from wrong. Maybe others (especially children and teenagers look to this game and others as suffice). Not a good idea. C'mon you all.... I'm not wanting a pissing contest, just a little clarification

Heheh... naw, I know what you meant in your original post. I'm just around here for comic relief when things start to get too serious. icon_biggrin.gif I really do think it is sad we have to worry about kids being influenced by games like that... I believe with proper parenting, kids can play games as violent as this without ever having to worry that they'll go on killing sprees. But yeah, your concerns have merit I suppose.

Who is this Opey One and what is his problem???!!!!

GTA3 is the best game in the world and my four year old loves it!! She is now enrolled at Shady Creek elementary for the wicked. Upon building moltov coctails and learning to kill 110 innocent human beings (with only 100 rounds--pretty good, huh?), she is the best and brightest of her class. Need I say more?? This game is the best and I rate it five stars..

Actually, if I recall, GTA got some pretty bad press for exactly the reasons you described... I think there was a huge blowout with one group screaming that that's why there's ratings on games and the other camp screaming about the the lack of intervention from parents...

I personally believe it's the role of the parents to shield their children from such games if they so desire...

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

What ever happened to yes sir, no sir,maam,pardon me and the like, you know all these kids today they can't even say yes its, yup ,nope,got in trouble again and on and on. That is why our generation is the key, we have to stop it!!!!. It all boils down to the Buck it's what sells. I am like many others I could go on and on. I try to do my best to mentor when I can.And support American economy but if we just start saying no to these spoiled brats we might get a start. (oil wells) thats enough......

Tetrahedron in a sphere=GEOID=Perfect Pyramid. On all Planets there is a Geometric disturbance at 19.5 degrees!!!

I know what you mean about the violence but the way things are shaking out lately real life is scarier. "Grand Theft Auto"?? I'm a little more worried about "Sniper" and "Grand War World". Real people die there. icon_frown.gif

As for bad mannered children I have to say that the ones I've met since moving to Florida are very polite and respectful. It was a noticeable change from California. Thanks Florida parents.

You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

I agree with Rubbertoe, it's 99% the parenting!

So many parents are so busy nowadays working at least one job each that they'll buy this crap for a young child so it gives them something to do so they don't have to watch them. We didn't have video games when we was young, we acted everything out. I had guns, knives, and slings, and many other "weapons" all hand made and fabricated out of sticks or whatever matierials I could round up. We played cowboys and indians, cops and robbers, and a multitude of other scenarios. We even ended up getting hurt sometimes, abeit accidentally. Why haven't I killed anyone? Because my parents let me know what was real and what was not. I knew at 10 years old what a real gun was and what potential harm it could do. I knew it was not right to act the play games we had played for years. The play acting I did was not the major part of my life, my parents spent a lot of time going places and learning new things.

I don't think we need half this crap in video games that we see. In my mind, 90% is overkill. But it is there. Deal with it. If parents might take some responsibility and look into what the game is, maybe they'd realize that maybe their 6 year old kid should not have half the games on the shelf. Maybe they'd realize that some time geocaching or some other outdoor activity (Is there any other?) would be more beneficial than another buy off with a child selected video game.

My son has several video games. Even with him being 14, I know the general premise of every one of the games he plays. I either look up reviews and/cheats for screenshots, or I rent and check out the game myself before we purchase it. I limit his time, and most importantly, show him there are other things to do that can be just as enlightening, and most importantly, I make sure he knows the difference.

Geez, that's a long post. I could have just said, "If a 5 year old is playing GTA, it's not his fault. I would have too if I had been allowed.".

Time is the best teacher; Unfortunately, it kills all its students!

I just saw a news interview where one "expert" considered the possibility that the current sniper shootings are actually several people competing for points. He used the above mentioned games as examples. Odd similarities.

But you're right. Parents have to monitor what their kids are doing (isn't that called "parenting").

We live in an age now where everyone wants to blame video games, movies, cartoons, etc. Why don't the parents ever take any blame? Parents should know what kind of games their kids are playing and what kind of movies their kids are watching.

Some of the most violent cartoons in the world are the old Bugs Bunny cartoons I grew up on. (I'm 37 by the way). But I never wanted to go out and drop an anvil on anybodies heard. There were more REAL guns in those cartoons then there are in the ones today.

Maybe some parents just need to take responsibility for the upbringing of their children. Quit blaming others for your problems.

I can't be a bad parent...it must be that video game/movie/rap song/etc that turned my kid into a delinquent.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by opey one:

A man steals a car, goes and blows up the city, robs and rapes, bludgens innocent people, killing cops, women, elderly people with a baseball bat, just innocent by standers, all kinds of an arsenal????? What the hell is going on here?????

Rape? How do you get him to do that? Maybe the PC version doesn't have that feature........ icon_wink.gif

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

quote:

Rape? How do you get him to do that? Maybe the PC version doesn't have that feature........ icon_wink.gif

Possibly that's talking about when you have sex with the prosititutes to regen your health, which costs you money, but afterwards you have the option of stealing back your investment though various means.

As a big gamer and a fair to middlin' programmer, I tend to see past the unpolitically correct subject matter of that title and appreciate the design and plannification that went into the game. You can do "Whatever you want". There are options for "whatever the player can think of". Some people choose to be evil when playing. If you want to play that game PC I suppose you just pull over when the first cop tells you to and then turn it off.

I would not want a 6 year old kid playing it, I'd go by the ratings. As a depraved 33 year old, I loved it(grin)

IMHO GTA3 is a very violent game but it is up to the parents as to what games thier children are or are not allowed to play. I remeber when I was a child and Pong was the first videogame that was avaliable for home use. between hours of smacking the little white dot around with the little white bar I spent most of my time watching the Road Runner trick Wylie Coyote into runnong off a cliff or infront of a car. And Bugs Bunny dropping anvils on Elmer Fudd's head. Funny that I never once was comptelled to drop an anvil on anyone.

I believe the most important thing is to draw clear lines between what is right and acceptable and what is not. Someone has to take the responsibility to teach this to children.

Eeyore

My other cachemobile is a broom!

Don't give up your standards opey one. We are becoming complacent and without standards! The more violence we see, the less we see anything wrong with it. Killing games for kids is moraly wrong and objectionable. Any parent in their right mind would find it objectionable to let their kids find entertainment in pretending they were murdering, maiming and hurting people.

Nuff said. Wrong forum, right idea!

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:

Killing games for kids is moraly wrong and objectionable. Any parent in their right mind would find it objectionable to let their kids find entertainment in pretending they were murdering, maiming and hurting people.

Didn't you ever play Human Cannonball on the Atari 2600 when you were a kid? Lots of murdering, pain, and hurting in that one - just without the nifty graphics. icon_smile.gif

Seriously - the whole goal was (allegedly) to shoot this poor dude across the screen, through a hole in the wall, and into a pool of water... but if you did it just right you could bounce him off the wall, and smash his limp body into the side of the pool. Great fun.

geobanana.gifThe Toe Pages

quote:

Explicit blood squirting, moaning , limbs flying off, decapitation, ____hey, that's enough

The Canadian version isn't as bad. First you have to take a virtual 10 hour course on gun safety and then you have to fill out a bunch of forms to register each weapon. Then halfway through the game, your virtual x-wife, complains and they come and take your guns away. The rest of the game is spent trying to get back at your x-wife by making prank phone calls (or similar).

Some versions have you finish the game by shooting beer cans with a pellet gun.

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

"Why don't the parents ever take any blame?"

Skip the blame-

Why don't the parents just take their kids geocaching?

(or any other life-form reinforcing activity that encourages curiousity and the quest..for knowledge, fitness, fellowship, etc)

Charlotte of bloomcru who has been accused of being a bit of a PollyAnna.

quote:
...blood squirting, moaning , limbs flying off, decapitation, ____hey, that's enough!!!! Forget this kind of sh**. At least I can control myself on this forum, because this is way out of line!!!!! Something should be done!!!!

Yea, something should be done. Parents should not buy this crap for their kids. If they find that their kids buy it with their "allowance" then they should take it away from them. End of story, no longer an issue, duh.

"Men don't stop playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

I am with you! I think violence should be left out of everything. Have you ever watched a kid while they are playing one of these games? Have you ever tried saying something to a kid while they are engrossed in one of these games? You won't even get a glassy eyed stare, they won't hear you. GTA and other games like that are SICK SICK SICK!!! and it takes a sick mind to think of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the DC area sniper is playing some sick psycho game, or if there were more than one sniper. These games should be outlawed! As should loud boom box speakers in cars. All those kids will go deaf in the future and I'm not gonna pay for them! There isn't much that pi$$e$ me off but those are two issues that do. AS A MATTER OF FACT, I was so P.O.d by a disrespecting youth with loud radio, I called our local constabulatory to find out if we have a noise ordinance in town and we don't, only for idling tractor trailers. But if I get mad enough we might soon. I now have the names of all the people to call to get involved in this issue if I wish to.

Too many parents today use the TV and these games as a way of babysitting their kids. They don't know how to parent so they let TV do it for them. Therein lies the problem. It is up to parents to supervise their children. Always, until they are grown. And personally, I think it's ok to spank them. But I don't have any so don't blame me for the world's overpopulation.

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

I am with you! I think violence should be left out of everything.

Wow.

For most of that post, Planet, I thought you were being sarcastic, but it seems you are serious.

"These games should be outlawed!"

Are you serious?

"As should loud boom box speakers in cars [be outlawed]."

Are you serious?

I find loud stereos to be annoying as well (although I used to have one) and the violence in the games sure is disturbing. But something stands in the way of your desires. Freedom.

Thankfully, I can play the games I want, and listen to music that I want. I sure don't want to live in your world.

Jamie

edit: after reading and rereading your post, I still can't figure out if you actually hold those opinions. I find them so far to the right as to be almost unbelievable.

I'm having a bad day and not feeling well. Still in my PJ's and it's 2:30 in the afternoon. I don't really think we should outlaw this stuff, just don't come down my road with a loud radio and don't show any of my neices and nephews those sick games. The rest of you can teach your own kids that crap. This topic just set me off. There is far too much sex and violence on TV and in these games. We are fast becoming desensitized to blood guts and gore and kids are too easily influenced by others these days. "Anything to be in the IN crowd" My friends have a young boy and he was allowed every game there is, he's an only child and all he likes to play with are toy guns. Squirt guns, realistic looking guns, futuristic looking guns, guns, guns, guns.... This got him in big trouble in school just because of something he said, even though he's a good kid, the gun thing really bothers me. We threw away all of his toy guns that night. I blame it on the games and the parents that allowed them in the house. No, I don't want to screw around with the First Amendment. Yes, I am serious about there being limits to the noise pollution. I shouldn't be subjected to what some might call music, I call an angry man screaming at me. I'm still having a bad day.

As for right or left I don't know where those are or what they mean, it's just how I feel. So be it. Maybe I'm getting old and curmudgeony. Freedom is a good thing. But so is the freedom to live in peace and harmony and quiet.

Cache you later,

Planet

Planet, that post made oodles more sense to me. Thank you for making your thoughts more clear.

Regarding the loud stereo, I almost 100% agree with you. I'm often disrupted by a booming stereo even inside my apartment. While I respect that person's right to listen, I wonder if his rights have come too far into my space when I'm involuntarily subject to listening as well. I used to (and still would if not for theft) have a very loud and expensive stereo system in my vehicle. I know there must have been occasions when I was that booming vehicle, although I usually kept the volume down when I was in a neighborhood. (The reason was not only for the sake of other people, but I didn't want it made too public that I had expensive equipment in my vehicle.) I suppose I could be convinced that a noise ordinance is acceptable.

"We are fast becoming desensitized to blood guts and gore and kids are too easily influenced by others these days."

I agree with this statement, mostly. Except for the "these days" phrase. What you speak has been happening for ages. Humans have been murdering, raping, and goring each other as far back as history can reach. You mention the sniper and his game. What about Jack the Ripper? Certainly he didn't play any video games. The Huns in the 4th and 5th century wreaked havoc upon parts of Europe. They never saw any gory movies.

Clearly, I don't need to mention more historic examples of horrific human actions. You can find dozen in any history text.

My point is that while people do some horrible things, it's not a new phenomenon. There are no "kids today," or even "people today." It's simply human civilization. There have always been theives. There have always been murderers. There have always been rapists. Video games, TV, movies, and loud music are pretty new.

Jamie

edit: Um.. this came across a little more strong than I intended. I'd like to think we're having a fairly simple conversation and sharing thoughts. I'll add a smiley icon_smile.gif for effect.

2nd edit: Hope your day gets better, despite my grim post.

Hey, sorry guys!! I didn't mean to cause such a problem on a situation that has no relation to geocaching whatsoever. Upon reading Planet's reply (among others), I feel I should have let a sleeping dog lay.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can delete this whole thread, but it seems I am the problem here. I sincerely regret all the frustration I may have started. If there is any way to erase it all, I would. Maybe (with permission, we can archive or temporarily disable this thread ).

Really, what I saw, DID bother me, and maybe it was or wasn't a good idea to bring it up on a simple friendly forum. It was fresh on my mind all day, and since I was on the forum, I opted to speak out.

I ask to all from now on to let it be, and please refrain from responding to the topic that may reflect one (or more) person's views on the subject that I started (unless utterly necessary).

Sure, there are people who believe in the same values as I do, and others who think differently, but perhaps there is another place to express yourself other than on a great forum such as this.

Of all the people who replied, we all see how you stand, and that's fine. Geocaching is not the place to do this, and I'm sorry. Thanks and sorry all. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Hey, sorry guys!! I didn't mean to cause such a problem on a situation that has no relation to geocaching whatsoever. Upon reading Planet's reply (among others), I feel I should have let a sleeping dog lay.

icon_smile.gif

This is more than just a geocaching site, it is also a community. We should be thankful. Yahoo used to have something similar with their 'clubs', it is now one big spam haven. They got rid of their 'computer guys' and replaced them with 'money men'.

Btw, the video games topic is not that far off from GPSr and other 'big boy toys'.

quote:

Unfortunately, I don't think we can delete this whole thread, but it seems I am the problem here. I sincerely regret all the frustration I may have started. If there is any way to erase it all, I would. Maybe (with permission, we can archive or temporarily disable this thread ).

Really, what I saw, DID bother me, and maybe it was or wasn't a good idea to bring it up on a simple friendly forum. It was fresh on my mind all day, and since I was on the forum, I opted to speak out.

I ask to all from now on to let it be, and please refrain from responding to the topic that may reflect one (or more) person's views on the subject that I started (unless utterly necessary).

Sure, there are people who believe in the same values as I do, and others who think differently, but perhaps there is another place to express yourself other than on a great forum such as this.

Of all the people who replied, we all see how you stand, and that's fine. Geocaching is not the place to do this, and I'm sorry. Thanks and sorry all. icon_smile.gif

What the hell are you apologizing for? You had a valid complaint...

Unfortunately, I play these games, of course I've never knocked off a 7-11... I can totally see your point... I like first person shooters...

I'd also like to point out that Lisa Bonet gets naked in Angel Heart, which is another post alltogether... icon_wink.gif

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

I was watching a lawyer on TV and the loud music question came up. She stated that you are entitled to "the peaceful enjoyment of your home". When someone disturbs that enjoyment through loud music it is called "disturbing the peace". It IS illegal, town ordinance or no town ordinance (according to that lawyer).

It's a game rated M for mature, just like a movie that is rated R. Guess what, I don't let my son go to a rated R movies or do I let him play an M rated game (unless I have checked it out first) Parents have been playing the blame game since I was a kid and even before that I'm sure. I am 32 so I'm not old and not young. I own my own house have a child that is doing great in school. I don't blame OZZY for some poor kid killing himself and I don't blame video games for our nations murderers (I think people were killing people way before video games came out) I will continue to listen to MetallicA, Ozzy and Judas Priest. I will play games called Dead to Rights, Halo, etc. and I will watch cartoons called Bugs Bunny. But I will also help my son with his homework, play with him at the park, ride dirtbikes with him and now bring him GeoCaching. If parents don't show their children that there is more to life than video games, then the children will think that video games are life especially if they allowed to play them 24-7. It's not the video games that are bad, it's the parents!!!!

Great topic, don't be sorry. It's discussions like this that make me glad to live in the good ol' USA!!! I love seeing other peoples views and love sharing mine, do with it what you will!!!

Paul icon_smile.gif

You know what? Seems funny to me, but I have just realized that people DO have opinions. Whether right or wrong, we all are entitled.

I do agree that it is in the parenting process (I am one myself).

I also agree that to each his own to purchase/play such games for fun and not act out similarily for real.

I also agree that this game may be fun to play.

I also agree that people have a right to express themselves by whatever means morally and ethically.

And most importantly of all, I agree wholeheartedly that we are all friends here in the forums and stepping on toes is nothing to get worked up about.

Geocaching is fun and a passion of mine, it is a pleasure to have access to these forums, much less with people like you all. I would love to come face to face with each and every one of you just to see the faces behind the pictures and posts.

Give me a kleenex, Pleez-- I am sincere, but not worked up yet. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. You guys are great, regardless if we disagree on certain things.

Give it a break---Pull the plug on me!!!!

Nevermind, I'll pull it myself. Later all!!