Jeremy I think you are a jerk

So I replace an original I hate I-5 cache with a new one and you archive it because it's too close to another one? First of all the other one is across the freeway and it's still .2 miles away, well beyond your 1/10 of a mile rule.

Secondly you archived it again because you think I can't maintain it? Did you email me to ask me how often I go up and down this freeway? Maybe this is a personal vendetta towards me because I've jumped you in the past.

Jeremy I'm so close to archving all my caches that you wouldn't believe it. You've chased plenty of people away from this hobby and you're about to chase me away.

I wonder how many of you will get to read this before the Lord of Geocaching deletes this message? Here's the page in question

The Original I Hate I-5

Here is Jeremy's post on my page...

May 1 by Jeremy (Admin) (iryshe) (239 found)

You can [delete] or [permanently encrypt] this log entry.

Not only is this cache placed in an area where the owner can't maintain it, it is also too close to an identical cache. Archiving it.

Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful

quote:
Does the world really need two rest stop caches within 1,000 feet of each other?

Of course not Brian, the world needs more pearls of wisdom from you instead. Or maybe you're changing the geocaching bible to make caches more than 1000 feet apart instead of what the Lord proclaimed.

I'm just pissed. This is just typical of where this website is headed.

I know I'll be attacked by the Jeremey butt kissers here. It's ok because when I get back to the mainland I will just go pick up all my little boxes I've left for others to find. You guys can have this anal bs to yourselves.

Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Does the world really need two rest stop caches within 1,000 feet of each other?

Really...

A rest stop? I'm sure there are others out there, but I'm currently in a dilemma trying to figure out a good spot for my next cache placement.

Not once have I considered a rest stop.

It could deserve merit, but I'm not into rest stops yet..no offense...unless I get REAL desperate.

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

I know I'll be attacked by the Jeremey butt kissers here.

<snip>

You guys can have this anal bs to yourselves.

Seems like the name of the place of residence affects severely one's vocabulary.

- From the shallow end of the gene pool. -

In all honesty, you handled this situation like an immature child. The end result in all of this is that you made yourself out to be a fool.

This is a forum for discussing various topics ranging from geocaching to underwater basketweaving (while geocaching). I don't think that it should be a forum for slamming the admin(s) because of a personal beef you claim exists. Act like an adult and you may be treated like one.

My .04

Brian

Team A.I.

Personal opinion time...

The second cache may be .2 of a mile away, but is it any different? If it's identical, is there any real need for another one? Variety is the spice of life, after all. Perhaps this second cache would be more suitable if there was something to make it a little more unique?

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

quote:
Asks the man who hides "consolation" caches near caches he couldn't find?

I assure you the cache you are referring to is no rest stop cache. That and the two caches are totally different. One is a needle in the haystack micro with no trade items or log, hidden in the middle of the woods, while the other is a fully stocked ammo box hidden below a cliff over 1/4 mile away as the crab flies and over 1/2 mile on foot.

Besides, I did find the other cache icon_smile.gif.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on May 02, 2003 at 03:08 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

Secondly you archived it again because you think I can't maintain it? Did you email me to ask me how often I go up and down this freeway? Maybe this is a personal vendetta towards me because I've jumped you in the past.

Or maybe he looked at all your cache finds and saw that before the trip that you dumped this cache during, you hadn't logged a cache in that state since July, 2002? Before that it was one cache in Dec, 2001. Before that it was one cache in April, 2001.

If you travel that way more often then that, the fact that during almost a full year you couldn't be bothered to stop and find any of the hundreds of nearby caches is a pretty good indicator to me at least of how well that cache would be maintained. Being able to check it once every 6-9 months, especially in a high traffic area like a rest stop, is not being a responsible cache owner.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Of course not Brian, the world needs more pearls of wisdom from you instead.

You said it, not me! BTW there are other geocaching websites. I'm sure they'd be overjoyed if you pulled your caches from here and listed them there instead. They'll take any caches they can get.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
So I replace an original I hate I-5 cache with a new one and you archive it because it's too close to another one? First of all the other one is across the freeway and it's still .2 miles away, well beyond your 1/10 of a mile rule.

Jeremy I'm so close to archving all my caches that you wouldn't believe it. You've chased plenty of people away from this hobby and you're about to chase me away.

Personally, I think rest stop caches are kind of fun. Also I think it's appropriate to have one on both sides of the highway -- that way you can catch one coming and going. But this one is so simple I probably wouldn't even attempt it. Ordinary locations require extrordinary hides and caches -- this is especially true of rest stop caches and this one doesn't meet the mark. From the description it deserves to be archived just for lack of creativity.

All that being said, I think this guy comes across as an immature jerk. Why make something personal when it's clearly not. Jeremy probably deals with hundreds of people every day. To suggest he remembers one person enough to wage a vendetta is pretty silly. If it were me I'd archive all his caches, just on general principle . . . (that's a joke, folks).

Oh well, some folks just don't play well with others.

I just wish I knew about all the I-5 caches during my honeymoon in October, I could have been a contender! It is very disturbing to see a sign telling you your destination is STILL 300 miles away, and there is not a thing to do but drive.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Look Ma, a whole herd of ***-kissers. I need to start putting chap stick in my caches.

Because some of us think that LB&MM's infantile rant was uncalled for, doesn't make anybody a butt kisser.

It is this sort of BS is the reason that I put out 2 caches. KMA and I'm ready to quit. Sometimes putting out caches is like playing ball with a rich kid. You play by my rules or you can't play and I will change the rules as I play. If you don't like it I will take my ball and go home. Some people like rest stop caches for a reason. It is called rest. daaaaah. Too bad all the caches can't be 100 miles apart and having a rating of 5/5.

quote:
It is this sort of BS is the reason that I put out 2 caches. KMA and I'm ready to quit. Sometimes putting out caches is like playing ball with a rich kid. You play by my rules or you can't play and I will change the rules as I play.

Some 60,000 caches have been placed since this website's inception. Outside a few crybabies who make a lot of noise in these forums, it appears that an awful lot of people have had no problem getting their caches posted.

It's a listing service. If you don't like the service, there are other options. From the looks of things though, there are a lot of satisfied customers out there.

quote:
Originally posted by OUTSID4EVR:

I have done a http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=43232that was well placed. The cache discussed here looks like you don't even have to stretch your legs at all!

There's a cache named "Bug Rest Stop" at a rest area here in Alabama that is accessible from the north and south. I haven't hit it, but this particular one is good for bugs on the go.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I"ve placed a few caches in rest areas as Bug Hotels.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=32087

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=32087

Both are going on being a year in existance. I've also had two that were plundered.

I see that in the future I may not be able to do this. I don't want more rule changes but maybe something can be suggested on Rest Stop caches as long as they are Bug Hotels they don't really require much maintenance.

Maybe on the cache that started all of this if it was known that the other nearby cache was on the other side of the Interstate maybe an approval could have been made.

Get your trackable USA geocoins at http://www.usageocoins.com

The I-5 series of caches stand well together as a series.

I don't think this cache should have been archived. From what I know of lazyboy, he *does* travel up and down I5 a lot. Also, I5 isn't a two-lane country road. Rest stops on opposite sides of the freeway take some doing to get to in order.

"Too close to an identical cache" makes it sound as though physical caches are going to have to start meeting the virtual cache requirements of being in coffeebook-caliber locations.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

I don't see where the problem with this cache is. It doesn't appear to be breaking any rules. Seems a bit unreasonable to me that it was archived.

I don't see much of a problem with the cache itself, there are no rules against placing lame caches. I *DO* have a problem with people placing caches they can or won't maintain. I think if you look at the hiders finds, there is a pretty good case for considering this cache a vacation cache.

I think most of us that travel to a different area enough to properly maintain a cache there, also have a fair amount of finds in that area.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Mopar wrote:

I don't see much of a problem with the cache itself, there are no rules against placing lame caches. I *DO* have a problem with people placing caches they can or won't maintain. I think if you look at the hiders finds, there is a pretty good case for considering this cache a vacation cache.

I think most of us that travel to a different area enough to properly maintain a cache there, also have a fair amount of finds in that area.

Perhaps you should go back and read the posts more carefully. The cache placer said that there is no problem maintaining the cache. And then another cacher from the area confirms that he does travel in the area a lot. Saying that there is a problem because the cache placer doesn't have many finds in the area is a bit far-sighted and unreasonable.

-----

[This message was edited by Jomarac5 on May 02, 2003 at 08:52 AM.]

quote:
Outside a few crybabies who make a lot of noise in these forums

The "crybabies" don't bother me nearly as much as the blow hards and gas bags who post so many "authorititative" messages each and every day, yet rarely go out caching. When they do, these "experts" rarely attempt a cache rated higher than 1.5 without a "helper" to hold their hand along the way (and find the cache for them.) Thank God for "consolation caches," because there's no sight more pitiful than a po' widdle expert returning home injured, dirty and without a find.

[This message was edited by BrainSnot on May 02, 2003 at 08:57 AM.]

quote:

Perhaps you should go back and read the posts more carefully. The cache placer said that there is no problem maintaining the cache. And then another cacher from the area confirms that he does travel in the area a lot. Saying that there is a problem because the cache placer doesn't have many finds in the area is a bit far-sighted and unreasonable.

I went back and read the original post.

quote:
Secondly you archived it again because you think I can't maintain it? Did you email me to ask me how often I go up and down this freeway?

I don't see anwhere where he actually says how often, just that he wasn't asked. As for Mr.Snazz's comment; I love chatting with the guy, and I love most of his posts, but personally, I'm never sure when he's telling the truth and when he's just trying to stir things up.

I don't think looking at a persons finds to determine how active they are in an area is shortsighted or unreasonable. The guy has almost 500 finds, hes a pretty diehard cacher. I would expect that if he traveled often to a place that has 1000's of caches he has yet to find, he would find some. He hasn't even found any of the caches near the one he placed. Even if he does travel the route quite often (and personally, I think with a high maintenance cache like that, you should be able to check on within a week if theres a problem), he doesn't seem to have time to stop and find all the local caches. If I were approving caches, I would consider that the same as a vacation cache.

Well now, I can't say what goes on inside someones head, but I can say what the end result is.

In cache wars, Only Jeremy can fix the problem. The appropraite end to the saga is an email that says "I'm archiving/unarchiving your cache archived *insert reason here*".

Case closed class dismissed. That hasn't happend yet. Both sides had good cases and both sides didn't have broken caches. Both sides wasted a lot of cyber ink because nothing happened.

Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away. I woulnd't go so far as to say Jeremy is a jerk but it does appear to be a high horse he's standing on at times. Us plebes have to flounder around and solve things on our own. Sometimes we need a little help.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:

I think that Jeremy should have contacted them, and maybe did, who knows. The problem is some people have a funny idea of what maintainig a cache involves. With the numbers of caches available all over the country, I have no problem with new ones requiring a littel more thought and work than those already in place. A hider may think if they pass the cache site 2-3 times a year that's good enough to call it being maintained. I personally don't think a 4-6 month gap between visits is. If that's the case here, let someone more local place one there.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

It think the cache should be ok if it is on the other side of the freeway as described and if the owner can maintain it as described. I like rest area caches.

But I don't think the best way to deal with the issue is to post a rant in the forums. It seems to me that all you needed to do was write to Jeremy and explain the situation. If he still thought the caches were too close, you could post a poll in the forums and point out the results to him if they were favorable. Jumping to conclusions about his motives and calling him a jerk seems pretty counter productive!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

In cache wars, Only Jeremy can fix the problem. The appropraite end to the saga is an email that says "I'm archiving/unarchiving your cache archived *insert reason here*".

Case closed class dismissed. That hasn't happend yet. Both sides had good cases and both sides didn't have broken caches. Both sides wasted a lot of cyber ink because nothing happened.

Actually, the hider DID get an email. Every time someone posts on your cache, you get that emailed to you. That includes the archive notice. Granted, it was short and sweet, but it did say exactly why he was archiving it. As busy as the guy is, I really don't think he has the time to personally review every cache posted, or even notice that LB&MM posted a new cache. My guess is some of the locals complained about a guy coming in from another state and dumping a cache in their backyard without even bothering to find the other ones nearby. I know if that cache showed up on my radar I would be a bit tweaked.

quote:
(From the cache page)

This is a new cache but located in the same rest stop as the original I Hate I-5 cache.

This doesn't say it is the southbound version of the original northbound one (or vice versa). It says it is in the SAME rest stop as the original. Maybe the admin could have emailed LB&MM for clarification, but I think they should have written the cache page differently. If these two caches are on opposite sides of the freeway there shouldn't be a problem with allowing them both.

Now on to the vacation cache problem: The original vacation cache issue came up when someone placed a cache in an area they were visiting. There were several other caches in the general area, but instead of searching for even one of those, they placed a new one. Seems to me if you can't spend the time finding caches in an area, you shouldn't place one there either. If LB&MM haven't found many caches along I-5 in this area, they shouldn't be placing new ones either.

bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

I think that Jeremy should have contacted them...

Well, archiving one of my caches is a good way to contact me. It certainly gets my attention. In response, I would have addressed any concerns to the person archiving the cache. If that didn't work, then the cache would stay archived and I would move on to finding my next hiding spot. Too many people think of a caching being archived as a permanent condition. It's not. Just work through the process and try not to take things personally. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
The "crybabies" don't bother me nearly as much as the blow hards and gas bags who post so many "authorititative" messages each and every day, yet rarely go out caching. When they do, these "experts" rarely attempt a cache rated higher than 1.5 without a "helper" to hold their hand along the way (and find the cache for them.) Thank God for "consolation caches," because there's no sight more pitiful than a po' widdle expert returning home injured, dirty and without a find.

Yea, that makes me sick too. What's even worse are those pathetic souls who hide behind sock puppet accounts and attack others, rather than being man enough to use their own account.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Actually, the hider DID get an email.

That email he got. But once it hit the next level, before the forums there was a direct email and no reply.

It could be the busy thing, but that's why they invented delegation.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

That email he got. But once it hit the next level, before the forums there was a direct email and no reply.

OK, RK, most of the time I agree with ya, but not this time. The cache was archived 5/1/2003 11:28:06 PM (GMT) according to the info at the bottom of the cache page. It hit the forums a few hrs later. Even if Jeremy lives and breaths geocaching.com without ever leaving the office to eat or sleep, thats still not alot of time to wait for a reply from a guy who gets hundreds of emails a day. If LB&MM had tried for a week with no reply, I might have had some sympathy. But 6-7 hrs? At night when he should be home with his family, not working? Come on!

Mopar, I think RK is talking about the other recent thread about the competing virtual caches at the Golden Spike site. More time elapsed in that case and perhaps there were unanswered e-mails. So you guys can still be buds.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Originally posted by Rooster_KF & Double C:

Sometimes putting out caches is like playing ball with a rich kid. You play by my rules or you can't play and I will change the rules as I play. If you don't like it I will take my ball and go home.

I never liked that kid either..

Also,

I didn't need this thread to know who the butt kissers were. icon_razz.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

Well the way I read it is :

1) He is REPLACING a cache that was in this same rest area. Can we not replace plundered - stolen - missing caches now ??

2) What is the new rule for placing caches ?

It seems as now we are going to have a limited distance from our home cordinates that we will be able to place caches.

3) If this cache was to close to another cache and was archived, then how did This cache get approved when it is less then 0.10 miles from this one and This one also.

Also the person placing this cache has not logged the other caches either, or anything close.

logscaler.