Okay, I admit it... I've been putting guns in local caches

joefrog

Marshmallow guns, that is!

I make all kinds of goodies to sell at local arts & craft shows. One of the most fun toy items is a "marshmallow gun" made from 1/2" PVC pipe and is powered with hot air -- yours. And yes, the do indeed fire a mini-marshmallow anywhere from 10-40 feet, depending on the amount of air you're able to put through it.

I was sitting there making a batch for a show a few weeks ago, and thought "You know, these would break down pretty small!" Turns out they'll fit in a ziplock bag. I made a simple "how-to" sheet that's in the bag to show assembly and operation. First thing they see is the bag & the sheet, saying "You just found one of JOEFROG's FAMOUS MARSHMALLOW GUNS!"

I scattered a few around town starting a couple of weeks back, and people are going NUTS for them. I've got emails asking when I'll be caching again, will I be leaving some of them, etc. I'm having a ball!

The gun itself is not an original idea, I'll admit... they've been around a while. But has anyone put them in a cache before?

So, my new signature item is born... "Joefrog's Famous Marshmallow Guns!"

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I was introduced to the marshmallow gun when I stopped by my neighbors one day. Both of their young sons were on the porch shooting (or trying to shoot) marshmallows into the back of their dads truck. They had a few in the back of the truck and about 300 or so on the ground, what a mess but they were having a blast.

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

Now, if you can only leave some ammo marshmallows in those ammo boxes icon_biggrin.gif

Nope nope nope, that would be considered food in the cache. Marshmallows melt pretty darn quick, and OH what a mess!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Why would you shoot at a defenseless little marshmallow?

_Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand._ - Homer Simpson

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com/_ * _http://www.keenpeople.com/stats/

Because he looks like the same stuff as the Pillsbury Doughboy who I have always thought needed to be on the recieving end of some assault rifle training.

Just in case nobody has seen these before, here are a couple of links:

www.toyblowgun.com

www.marshmallowguns.net

search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=marshmallow+gun

Now, I'm wondering how these can be packaged small enough to fit into a zip log bag in a cache?

Or is joefrog's design a mini version of these? Maybe Joel could post a pic of his?

No matter where you go, there you are

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:

Because he looks like the same stuff as the Pillsbury Doughboy who I have always thought needed to be on the recieving end of some assault rifle training.

LOL! Now calm down icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Wet Coast Explorers:

+ http://www.toyblowgun.com/

Now, I'm wondering how these can be packaged small enough to fit into a zip log bag in a cache?

Or is joefrog's design a mini version of these? Maybe Joel could post a pic of his?

I don't think I have any pics of it, but that link I left above is essentially the ticket. The extra piece at the top is unnecessary, though -- you only need the 90°.

Breaking it down is simple -- it's not glued at all, because kids will be kids and poke something besides marshmallows in it. The longest piece is the barrel, and it's about 6" long. I'll take a pic of the package & the "final assembly" tonight to show!

Nope, I wasn't at Possum Hollow... I was at the Depot Days festival in Hartselle Sept 27, the Centre Fall Fest Oct 5, and this Saturday I'll be in Falkville, AL at their fest.

Joel (joefrog)

These are a blast. We made them in pistol size, carbine size, and long rifle size. In the long rifle size, you can get about 40 feet with accuracy.

Built one with multiple clips so a harried mom could shell the kids, even if she were outnumbered.

MUCH fun. BTW: Don't spend alot on marshmallows, the cheap knock off brands work the best.

The pistol size has a 6 inch barrel and a 6 inch clip. It has a S-curve to a 3 inch long piece to a mouth piece. Carbines use a 10 inch barrel. Long rifle size uses a 14 inch barrel. To get really good accuracy, buy some 1 inch T-connectors to slide along the barrel and function like a stock, and a 3/4 inch end conector to act as a muzzle flash reducer.

The multi-clip design uses a pistol size with 2 6 inch pieces, one connects the T-connector from the first clip to the t-connector for the second clip. The clips are arranged to be about 120 degrees away from each other pointing left and right. This gives two handed grip and the ability to reload fast by tipping the gun one way or the other to reload from one clip.

7 3 10 13 23 36 59 95 ...

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

Built one with multiple clips so a harried mom could shell the kids, even if she were outnumbered.

Hunh? More than two or so at a time plugs mine. See above post on the model I make; then let me know if you're on the same "page."

quote:

Don't spend alot on marshmallows, the cheap knock off brands work the best.

LOL... and how much to marhsmallows cost around your area? A big bag of mini marshmallows is about $1.80 around here; off-brands are a dime less. Those give me a heap of ammo (in a snack-size ziplock with the gun at shows). I figure I may end up having to eat some, so they may as well taste good.

quote:

The pistol size has a 6 inch barrel and a 6 inch clip. It has a S-curve to a 3 inch long piece to a mouth piece. Carbines use a 10 inch barrel. Long rifle size uses a 14 inch barrel. To get really good accuracy, buy some 1 inch T-connectors to slide along the barrel and function like a stock, and a 3/4 inch end conector to act as a muzzle flash reducer.

Boy, do you have too much time...

quote:

The multi-clip design uses a pistol size with 2 6 inch pieces, one connects the T-connector from the first clip to the t-connector for the second clip. The clips are arranged to be about 120 degrees away from each other pointing left and right. This gives two handed grip and the ability to reload fast by tipping the gun one way or the other to reload from one clip.

Yeesh... I gotta see a pic.

Joel (joefrog)

quote:
Originally posted by wimseyguy:

I have seen potato guns before. Any similarity?

Nope... those use explosive propulsion, the marshmallow gun is simply blown.

And yep, airline safe... PVC is plastic.

Joel (joefrog)

quote:

Guns don't kill marshmallows, cachers kill marshmallows.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

[This message was edited by martmann on October 22, 2003 at 08:17 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by The Wet Coast Explorers:

+ http://www.toyblowgun.com/

+ http://www.marshmallowguns.net/

+ http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=marshmallow+gun

_No matter where you go, there you are_

This cracks me up too much icon_biggrin.gif I've gotta have one.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

Thse guns are a very bad idea. What if a diabetic child is hit in the mouth with a marshmallow and swallows it and winds up in a coma with hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic syndrome?

Sheesh, some people just don't think icon_rolleyes.gif !

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

We bought one for our son when we were at an antique machinery show in Centre Hall, outside of State College, PA, last month. He shot marshmallows all the way back to the parking lot! It is fun watching him hit the cat. icon_smile.gif The gun is 24" in length.

PeachyPA

Quilter, Cacher, Cubmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

Here are instructions on how to make one:

http://www.ignitethefire.com/pipegun.html

Bilder:

I looked at the instructions, but they don't elaborate on the chamber or the barrel. The picture posted with the article also appears to use 1/2" and 3/4" pipe, but only 1/2" pipe is mentioned.

I'd really like to make some of these, but can't tell how to prevent the marshmallows from going into the handles rather than exiting the barrel. Am I making this too complicated?

Also, from looking at the picture, it seems that the tube coming from the mouthpiece steps down from 3/4" to 1/2", but the barrel portion of the gun goes back up to 3/4" again. Wouldn't you get more pressure (and distance) by keeping the diameter of the tubes stepped down?

I have two nephews who would love to wage their own wars with each other armed with these guns. icon_smile.gif Can anyone provide better diagrams or instructions?

Thanks,

- Mark (S-4-C)

I KNOW I'll find it if I just keep LOOKING!

This thread came at precisely the right moment yesterday. Needed an activity with the Cub Scouts. Had two hours. Ran to the hardware store and picked up 1/2 PVC, 2 1/2 Ts, 2, 1/2 elbows, and 2 1/2 caps. Cost about $2.00 for one.

Cut into 1 9" section (barrel), 1 7" section (rear air chamber), 2 4" sections (handles), 2 3" sections (air tube and connector to rear handle), and 1 2" section (blow tube). Nothing magic there...could be other dimensions.

We load them by breaking it down right behind the front T. Drop the marshmallow into the T, reconnect, and blow. Off it goes.

Total time from reading thread to making prototype for second graders was 1 hour. Takes them about 15 minutes to saw the PVC (they've never used a hacksaw before).

Need to know more about Red's clips though. Do you use a T with 2 1/2s and 1 3/4 to feed into the "chamber"? Will play more this weekend I guess.

Thanks to all for saving my tail last night.

quote:
Originally posted by Strapped-4-Cache:

I looked at the instructions, but they don't elaborate on the chamber or the barrel. The picture posted with the article also appears to use 1/2" and 3/4" pipe, but only 1/2" pipe is mentioned.

I'd really like to make some of these, but can't tell how to prevent the marshmallows from going into the handles rather than exiting the barrel. Am I making this too complicated?

Also, from looking at the picture, it seems that the tube coming from the mouthpiece steps down from 3/4" to 1/2", but the barrel portion of the gun goes back up to 3/4" again. Wouldn't you get more pressure (and distance) by keeping the diameter of the tubes stepped down?

I have two nephews who would love to wage their own wars with each other armed with these guns. icon_smile.gif Can anyone provide better diagrams or instructions?

Yep, you're making it too complicated. The reason the marshmallow doesn't fall down into the handle is because it follows the path of least resistance, i.e., the only open end. The trick to making a good one that fires well is to only use the THICK-walled 1/2" PVC, where the inner diameter is a good bit smaller than the outside. This is closest to the calibre of the marshmallow. You'll know the thin-walled stuff when you see it. Trust me, it'll work.

The proportions of the one linked above are all weird. Pictures & how-to below...

The Marshmallow Gun, as found in a cache (watch is for scale)

mgun1.jpg

Pieces poured out of the bag -- note I put together a few of the pieces to avoid any confusion.

mgun2.jpg

Joefrog's Famous Marshmallow Gun, fully assembled!

mgun4.jpg

Here's the instruction sheet I include:

MGun-instr.jpg

Joel (joefrog)

Thanks, Joel.

I thought that it must be something simple, like the path of least resistance, but I wanted to be sure before i went out and started the project.

I have a feeling I'll be covered in marshmallows shortly after I see my nephews again!

BTW, have you tried stepping down the pipe sizes? I know this works to increase water pressure (like a hoze nozzle), but don't know if it would make a difference over such a short path. Just curious.

Thanks again,

- Mark (S-4-C)

I KNOW I'll find it if I just keep LOOKING!

quote:
Originally posted by Strapped-4-Cache:

Thanks, Joel.

I thought that it must be something simple, like the path of least resistance, but I wanted to be sure before i went out and started the project.

I have a feeling I'll be covered in marshmallows shortly after I see my nephews again!

BTW, have you tried stepping down the pipe sizes? I know this works to increase water pressure (like a hoze nozzle), but don't know if it would make a difference over such a short path. Just curious.

You probably could, but you're going to have fun trying to find pipe in 7/16, 3/8, etc. Special marshmallows smaller than "mini" will also be tough to find! icon_wink.gif

If you get the thicker-walled PVC as mentioned above, you shouldn't have a problem with firing the marshmallows a good distance/velocity. Trust me on that... I played bass trombone all the way through college, so I can put out some serious air. I was firing volleys on top of the building across the street at the last festival I did.

Joel (joefrog)

quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:

Wow! You are awesome Joe. Thanks for all the info. I'm headed out to HD today for the supplies. Do you mind if people borrow the idea as a signature item?

Not at all... shoot me an email and I'll send you a custom instruction sheet!

Joel (joefrog)

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

Not at all... shoot me an email and I'll send you a custom instruction sheet!

Joel (joefrog)

Thanks Joe. I saved the image of the instructions off the post. I'll change that around and give you credit on the piece.

A 6" barrel is kind of long. Have you tried different lengths to see if something shorter will work?

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:

Thanks Joe. I saved the image of the instructions off the post. I'll change that around and give you credit on the piece.

Thanks -- I appreciate it. If you want that PDF, let me know & I'll send it to you via email.

quote:

A 6" barrel is kind of long. Have you tried different lengths to see if something shorter will work?

LOL... nope, not even going to comment on that one. Nope.

icon_biggrin.gif

Joel (joefrog)

This is so cool! This is also the best thread in the forums since last week! icon_biggrin.gif

One question: Do you have to clean the PVC pipes before you can use the gun?

I might make myself one or two of these and leave them in Caches here. Of course, I'll include YOUR instructions so you get credit for the design icon_smile.gif I'll just put a note that I built it with your permission icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

This is so cool! This is also the best thread in the forums since last week! icon_biggrin.gif

One question: Do you have to clean the PVC pipes before you can use the gun?

I might make myself one or two of these and leave them in Caches here. Of course, I'll include YOUR instructions so you get credit for the design icon_smile.gif I'll just put a note that I built it with your permission icon_smile.gif

Thanks! I really appreciate that!

And nah, I've never found it necessary to clean the pipe if it's straight off the shelf & not immersed in something nasty.

Tip to all: if you're going to make a bunch of these, invest in a good PVC cutter. A cheap version of the one I use is shown here. YOu can find them on Ebay pretty readily, also.

Ya'll have fun -- and again, thanks for giving me credit!

Joel (joefrog)

quote:
Originally posted by Bennu:

I teach, and these things will sell like hotcakes to teachers and students, I imagine, do you mind if I sell them, I will include your directions and give you credit? If it isn't cool with you, Joefrog, I won't do it.

Putting them in caches is one thing, selling is another. I make them to sell at craft shows, but that's completely unrelated to geocaching. I put them in caches for the fun of it. You can sell them if you want (they're not an original idea), but if you do I'd rather my name not be attached.

Joel (joefrog)

Bilder:

-----------------------------------------------

The picture is compressed in one direction. I opened the graphic in another program and it all looks dimensional. I think the 1/2 inch is probably good.

The verdict is in: Jr. T says, "way awesome".

Built our first two genuine Joefrog Marshmallow Guns. It was hard to stop laughing in between shooting each other. I'll post some pictures after they get painted.

Will definitely have to invest in a PVC saw if this becomes a mass produced signature item. nearly got carpal tunnel just making these two.

Quick question for Joel: Do you glue any of the parts together, or do you leave it loosely fitted for cleaning purposes?

Thanks Joel; another priceless family moment in the Touchstone household.

Gotta go; Jr T is blasting me again...Aaaargh icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Mustard and Company:

Bilder:

-----------------------------------------------

The picture is compressed in one direction. I opened the graphic in another program and it all looks dimensional. I think the 1/2 inch is probably good.

Looks like the picture is distored (sp?).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I never thought about placing a marshmellow gun in a cache. I guess that's because the ones that my mother makes are about 4.5 feet long. That would have to be one really big ammo can to fit the ones she makes.

My mom took the guns up to our place in the mountains for my little cousins to play with... she's pretty sure that the squirrels and raccoons up there are diabetic now.